Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

nut under the steering wheel

my steering wheel seems to rock up and down a bit. I pulled the 8 allens off and there is a nut underneath can that be tightened it seems that whatever that nut is holding on to the piece behind it that is where it is lose? I wanted to ask you guys before I go breaking things.

The tilt steering mechanism does rock up and down a bit, don't go tightening anything in there.

-Chris

Also, check the nut under the malibu cap on the steering wheel...it maybe loose?

Edited by srintx
The tilt steering mechanism does rock up and down a bit, don't go tightening anything in there.

-Chris

Also, check the nut under the malibu cap on the steering wheel...it maybe loose?

That is the nut that i am talking about under the steering wheel ?

• 2 years later...

I am having the same issue with steering wheel play. The nut under the stainless allen screws has been tightened, but still the play is there. Suggestions? Also, is there a link where I can locate photos/diagram of the next step (if required)?

my steering wheel seems to rock up and down a bit. I pulled the 8 allens off and there is a nut underneath can that be tightened it seems that whatever that nut is holding on to the piece behind it that is where it is lose? I wanted to ask you guys before I go breaking things.

Yes, you can tighten it but not too tight. Should be snug without much play (just a tiny bit is all.) It also doesn't hurt to put a tiny bit of thread lock on the nut on the other end of the bolt. I had to tighten mine. the real question is, why did it come lose? I found that my steering was slowly stiffening up and I didn't even realize it. So here is what solved ALL of my steering issues:

- I replaced the steering cable which also gives you a new rack behind the wheel assembly in the dash.

- I pulled the linkage and not only dropped the rudder, but also the stuffing box.

- I replaced the rubber o-ring in the stuffing box

- I greased the stuffing box and the rudder shaft

- Tightened the nut and put a tiny bit of thread lock on the other end.

- Then reassembled everything.

This makes the steering sooooooo slick.

Then do not forget to grease the rudder every year with the two zerk fittings on the stuffing box where the rudder shaft slides up into the boat.