Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Large Wet/Dry Vac

lakewaterjunky

The thread about carpet cleaning really pushed me over the edge concerning the purchase of a larger, heavy-duty wet/dry vac.

I wanted to know what people here have ran into regarding performance and Filter Replacement Costs in comparison; I.E. craftsman, rigid, shop vac etc.

What do you recommend, especially when it comes to filter price and endurance?

The thread about carpet cleaning really pushed me over the edge concerning the purchase of a larger, heavy-duty wet/dry vac.

I wanted to know what people here have ran into regarding performance and Filter Replacement Costs in comparison; I.E. craftsman, rigid, shop vac etc.

I have a Rigid and like the Vac! Have never replaced the filter though, as I normally just take it out and blow it clean w/ the air compressor! I use it in the Bu occasionally, but I have a Bissell Little Green Clean Machine that I use on the carpets instead. It works much better than the Shop Vac way, of course JMO!

The Bissell Little Green Machine sucks! Thumbup.gif

The shop vac takes up the big stuff and the Bissell takes out the suncreen and funky water stains.

I've only replaced my filter on my craftsman 5hp vac twice in 8 years so I don't pay attention to the cost. The compressor blows them out clean enough for reuse

-Charlie

Edited by Charlie

I have a Rigid and like the Vac! Have never replaced the filter though, as I normally just take it out and blow it clean w/ the air compressor! I use it in the Bu occasionally, but I have a Bissell Little Green Clean Machine that I use on the carpets instead. It works much better than the Shop Vac way, of course JMO!

Rigid carrys the best warranty and is the same or better than Craftsman.

I have a large craftsman that I've had for years. It works great but it is just too %&$*? big to use in the 'bu. Last year I bought the 2 1/2 gallon rigid. It is very powerful, portable and it has the best warranty.

I wouldn't buy a Crafty shop vac. again. My 5? hp. died after only 2 yrs. of super light use. I bought a Rigid due to cost, ease of replacement parts at Home D, and warranty. Although I like the vac and it works great, I think it's pretty cheaply made. Especially the way the upper motor half connects to the lower waste bin half, pretty cheesy.

Thanks for the responses gang, I'm shopping for one this weekend. The Sunday paper has some listed on sale fairly often, I'll check before going out and consider the comments.

Cheers :thankyou:

Get the ridgid that hangs on your garage wall, trust me, you will love the long hose and high HP, and you can remove it from the wall. Just back the boat in and go...

I have an 16 gallon 5.5 hp Rigid, I've had for years. Used it in my remodeling business and at home with no problems except when my son broke the toggle switch. Ordered one online and got in a few days. Filters are always available at the Depot. I've used a few over the years, becuase they get smelly when you vacuum up water all the time.

Do yourself a favor and buy an extra length of hose. You'll be able to reach all areas of the boat without the dragging the vacuum around it.

Edited by 04WakesetterDD
Get the ridgid that hangs on your garage wall, trust me, you will love the long hose and high HP, and you can remove it from the wall. Just back the boat in and go...

Plus1.gif I have this model as well and it works great. I have had it for a couple of years and haven't replaced the filter yet (I hose it out and let it dry) Usually when I use it to suck water out of the boat I just remove the filter all together and leave the vac outside the boat. Then just dump out the water and reinstall the filter and it's good to go to work in the cars.

• 11 months later...
just to resurrect this thread briefly, I've got to get a new shop vac that I use primarily for the boat. I like the power yet compact size of either the Ridgid WD 4070 or WD 4522 pictured here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Wet-Dry-Vacs2/EN/index.htm

Does anyone have one of these or any reviews for me?

Don't have one of those but they do put out a nice calendar.

just to resurrect this thread briefly, I've got to get a new shop vac that I use primarily for the boat. I like the power yet compact size of either the Ridgid WD 4070 or WD 4522 pictured here: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Wet-Dry-Vacs2/EN/index.htm

NOTE TO SELF: If you want an answer to a question, don't post it on a Saturday afternoon. Wait for signs of intelligent life, or if none, hope that at least Jack checks in.

I have the 4070. It has excellent suction and fits in my sportster. I will be buying another,as a gift, for my brother.

Cleaning the boat/cars is better than taking paxil. After reading this board for a while, I'm convinced that 80% of this site's members would meet the DSM criteria. Perhaps I will look into the little green machine instead of seeing a psychiatrist. Crazy.gif

Edited by ralong

thanks ralong,

The 4070 seems handier in one way in that it has wheels, but I really like the way everything is self-contained in the 4522 and can stack or have things stacked on it due to the toolbox style. I'm not sure which would be better in the boat. The other problem is that the 4070 apparently is not available at Home Depot, which seems almost exclusively to carry Ridgid, but the 4522 is. The both seem to be at the $99 price point.

Anybody else have the 4522?

I bought this contractor grade shop vac from Lowes and it has been really nice. We got an extra hose and the brush attachment, it has plenty of reach and does a great job. R2 D2

I have a large craftsman that I've had for years. It works great but it is just too %&$*? big to use in the 'bu. Last year I bought the 2 1/2 gallon rigid. It is very powerful, portable and it has the best warranty.

Plus1.gif Get the Rigid that is shaped like a big lunch box, but not the big a$$ round one like I have....those things will suck the motor out of the boat if you let the hose get away and the filters aren't too expensive. Only had to replace once....

Edited by gmoneycrf450