Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WATER IMPELLER FAILURE

Water impeller failed yesterday on my 1995 malibu echelon with 350 magnum, carb motor. Compression on number 5 cyclinder is 40 pounds. What are the best options for engine rebuild or replacement. Rockon.gif

That's lame, those old non-vortec Mercruisers don't like to overheat one bit. Good reason to change your impeller every 2 years to avoid catastrophic failure from over heating (not to say you didn't because it can overheat from other issues but i see so many impeller failures during the summer it's crazy that most people don't even know where or what their impeller is)

In most cases we see them blow the cylinder head gaskets so if i were you i would pull the heads off, get them pressure tested, cleaned up and run a new set of gaskets. If the cylinders are all messed up you will be able to see it when you pull the heads off so i would start with pulling the intake manifold off, cylinder heads off, at least then you will find out how you stand.

Good luck with the prodject!

That's lame, those old non-vortec Mercruisers don't like to overheat one bit. Good reason to change your impeller every 2 years to avoid catastrophic failure from over heating (not to say you didn't because it can overheat from other issues but i see so many impeller failures during the summer it's crazy that most people don't even know where or what their impeller is)

In most cases we see them blow the cylinder head gaskets so if i were you i would pull the heads off, get them pressure tested, cleaned up and run a new set of gaskets. If the cylinders are all messed up you will be able to see it when you pull the heads off so i would start with pulling the intake manifold off, cylinder heads off, at least then you will find out how you stand.

Good luck with the prodject!

Exactly what happened to me.....the impellar went bad, motor overheated, and then started making this weird noise and idled rough. Turned out to be a blown headgasket and the noise I was hearing was the compression escaping. Good luck man..

A leak down test should tell you where the problem lies, have someone that knows how to do one help you out. Head gasket is not that hard to do.

Plus1.gif

You can find out the problem be for you pull it apart.