Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vlx from dealer..

mogge1

\

Glad to hear on the Y-Fitting, though I'm a little surprised that flipping it end-for-end made a difference. I would still check to confirm that it is located on the proper side of your raw water pump.

With the Y fitting the wrong way around after the impeller (where Malibu puts it) it forces nice cold lakewater through the heater (or atleast doesn't allow any flow). I'd made that fix several times on customers boats, all of them had heat after that.

-Chris

I agree, flipping it around to the correct side of the raw water pump will make a big difference. My interpretation of what Morgan wrote is that he just flipped it end-for-end in place where it was already located, which wouldn't make much difference.

Morgan - if it is mounted after the raw water pump (meaning, between the raw water pump and the rest of the engine system), you should move it to before the raw water pump (meaning, between the water intake in your hull and the raw water pump). This will require you to repair the old location where the Y-Fitting had been by inserting a union to join the two hose ends. You will then have to cut the hard-walled water hose that is on the other side of the raw water pump in order to install the Y-Fitting there. This will mean you will need a couple extra stainless steel hose clamps for the 1.25" hose.

No, flipping it end for end even AFTER the impeller will make a non heating heater heat. If installed backwards the Y lets raw water into the return hose...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mogge1

• Faceplant409

• SunriseH2OSkier

• D-GOOSE

Do you have 2 remotes? If so and one of them works, trade the bad one for the good one and see if it works. If so then a bad remote is your problem and may be a warranty. If not it most likely in the wiring.

I Just tried to switch the hoses from the y fitting to the connection that is on the exhaust. One hose going from one side of the enguine to the other side (looks the same om both sides) Removed that and let that be on the y-fitting for the test.

Sorry, I'm still having a hard time understanding what you mean by 'the connection that is on the exhaust'? Can you take pictures and post for us to see?

Probably my bad english :( sorry about that.

But I looked at it again now, and it was pretty obvious ! The Y fitting WAS (I think) in the wrong direction. So I turned it around and I am now getting warm air out of the heater. :)Thumbup.gifClap.gif Not that warm but warm. I just took it for a test drive as well.. I didn´t think that it would come mounted in the wrong direction. But perhaps that solved the problem ? I will have to go wakeboarding and try it out right away. A great day, both hot water shower AND a heater. Rockon.gifYahoo.gif

(also, enguine temperature was back to normal again. )

Now it might be down to the remote control and cover.

The transome remote control lights up and the display works, but the buttons doesn´t. Wet or dry and in the sun for days it doesn´t work. I have followed the cables, but could that really be it, I mean the display works..

Any other idea about that one ?

I appreciate all the help people have come up with here so far.

Thanks !! Thumbup.gif

Glad to hear on the Y-Fitting, though I'm a little surprised that flipping it end-for-end made a difference. I would still check to confirm that it is located on the proper side of your raw water pump.

Regarding the remote, is it safe to assume you have a Sony system? Is your remote the RM-XM10 (greenish display), or is it the RM-X55M (white display w/blue lettering)? The latter is a newer design and seems to be much more robust to the effects of water over time. Regardless of which remote, there are actually two cables that connect the remote to the head unit. One is just a simple 1/8" stereo cable, the other is a more complex multi-pin cable. Can't remember which is which, but if one of them is loose, it is possible to get the display to work but not the buttons. The cables could be loose at the remote end, or at the head unit end.

I just got back from the lake !

The heater now works ! Wonderful.. So easy to fix.. If I only would have known from start :)

But it is behind the raw water pump.. Putting it before the pump makes it work even better ? ?

The remote control It is the RX-X55M model, and the cables all seem to be plugged in correctly.

Edited by mogge1
Do you have 2 remotes? If so and one of them works, trade the bad one for the good one and see if it works. If so then a bad remote is your problem and may be a warranty. If not it most likely in the wiring.

Greg are you talking about switching them? Use the one known that works in place of the one that doesn't, but if they are linked together you would have to hook it up direct to the stereo!

No, flipping it end for end even AFTER the impeller will make a non heating heater heat. If installed backwards the Y lets raw water into the return hose...

Really? Learn something new every day, I guess.

The heater now works ! Wonderful.. So easy to fix.. If I only would have known from start :)

But it is behind the raw water pump.. Putting it before the pump makes it work even better ? ?

It will absolutely work better, but glad to hear you are back in business! Thumbup.gif

Greg are you talking about switching them? Use the one known that works in place of the one that doesn't, but if they are linked together you would have to hook it up direct to the stereo!

Yep thats what I'm talking about. I have not played much with the Sony unit so if they are linked then wouldn't both remotes not work if you put the bad one up front? Dontknow.gif

It will absolutely work better, but glad to hear you are back in business! Thumbup.gif

Can someone post a pic of this for extra clarification?

Yep thats what I'm talking about. I have not played much with the Sony unit so if they are linked then wouldn't both remotes not work if you put the bad one up front? Dontknow.gif

I guess what I would do is pull the bad one and hook it up to the wires on the one that works, that way you know your starting with a good signal source. I won't go into what I went through hooking mine up, but lets just say I learned a lot and don't trust the wires that the factory installs when they are just hanging there :)

UPDATE: Shame on me. Actually, going through my e-mails I found that SWS told me about the Y fitting, I just didn´t get it.

Lots of credit to Peter at SWS for actually telling me about flipping the Y fitting from end to end.

That was the problem with the heater. I totally missed that part on flipping it.

About the remote, I only have one remote so I cannot try with another.

or is the cables the same as the stereo control next to the steering? I haven´t looked into that..

Of course there is a dealer in Sweden. You should have bought a CE-certified boat too.

<a href="http://www.skimarine.se/" target="_blank">http://www.skimarine.se/</a>

You should advertise better ! :) I didn´t know Skimarine was a Malibu dealer. Tried to google it as well, But no good search results.

The boat will soon be CE-Certified thanks to Ce-proof.

Edited by mogge1
UPDATE: Shame on me. Actually, going through my e-mails I found that SWS told me about the Y fitting, I just didn´t get it.

Lots of credit to Peter at SWS for actually telling me about flipping the Y fitting from end to end.

That was the problem with the heater. I totally missed that part on flipping it.

Good on you for owning up to Peter's communication!

or is the cables the same as the stereo control next to the steering? I haven´t looked into that..

You are confusing me again. I'm assuming the remote that isn't working is at the transom? And when you refer to the stereo control next to the steering, is that not another RM-X55M remote? Or are you just referring to the head unit under the arm rest?

Assuming you have the RM-X55M next to your steering wheel as well as at the transom (pretty typical installation), these two remotes are connected to the head unit using Y adapters for the two types of cables I referenced earlier. There will be a 1/8" stereo Y adapter, and there is a rather large, bulky Y connector for the multipin cable. Each of the adapters are plugged into the back of your head unit, then the remotes are each plugged in to one side of the Y's. So you end up with a lot of places for loose connections - there are two connections at each remote, there are two connections for each remote at the Y's, and there is one connection for each of the Y's to the head unit (total of 10 connections). If any of them are not quite tight, you can end up with flaky operation.

Good on you for owning up to Peter's communication!

You are confusing me again. I'm assuming the remote that isn't working is at the transom? And when you refer to the stereo control next to the steering, is that not another RM-X55M remote? Or are you just referring to the head unit under the arm rest?

Assuming you have the RM-X55M next to your steering wheel as well as at the transom (pretty typical installation), these two remotes are connected to the head unit using Y adapters for the two types of cables I referenced earlier. There will be a 1/8" stereo Y adapter, and there is a rather large, bulky Y connector for the multipin cable. Each of the adapters are plugged into the back of your head unit, then the remotes are each plugged in to one side of the Y's. So you end up with a lot of places for loose connections - there are two connections at each remote, there are two connections for each remote at the Y's, and there is one connection for each of the Y's to the head unit (total of 10 connections). If any of them are not quite tight, you can end up with flaky operation.

Sorry for confusing you !

It is not the same remote control but the "head unit" that you mention. (Under the arm rest)

There isn´t enough time for the boat for a week now because of work Cry.gif:( But I´ll check the cables again when I get back home.

But it (the "Y" fitting) is behind the raw water pump.. Putting it before the pump makes it work even better?

Absolutely. With the Y after the pump it relies on a venturi effect to draw the warm water through the heater core. With the Y before the raw water pump it will actually be sucking warm water through the core, even at idle. Thumbup.gif

Why don't they come set-up this way to begin with? Dontknow.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

...now this kind of communication is where "The Crew" shines. It's great to see a thread that had started to get ugly turn completely around!

Nice work fellas!!!!

Patrick

...now if we could have done this on "the original" religion thread....

Whistling.gif

Patrick

(inside joke...)

You should advertise better ! :) I didn´t know Skimarine was a Malibu dealer. Tried to google it as well, But no good search results.

The boat will soon be CE-Certified thanks to Ce-proof.

I don´t work for Skimarine, but I know them well. Don´t know what kind of warranty you will have with a boat that you have imported yourself though.

There has been a series of Malibu Just ride competitions the last 4 years organized by skimarine, so maybe you are not looking hard enough.

I know it has come up before, but what is a CE certification?

---Also-- why would importing a boat yourself have any effect on warranty? (manufacturer or CE?)

Pat

I know it has come up before, but what is a CE certification?

why would importing a boat yourself have any effect on warranty? (manufacturer or CE?)

"CE certification" is the "Conformité Européenne"-Certificate, which states that a product conformes with european laws and regulations. All motorcrafts (and some other products as well) need this certificate to get them officially registered in EC (European Community) countries.

The factory warranty won't be affected by buying a boat abroad, but it can and - with all these rather touchy dealers over here - will make warranty claims a lot more difficult ;)

The CE rules and regulations are a bit different from the USCG regulations. The biggest difference on the VLX is that CE rules requires more foam to be injected in the hull so that the ballast tanks are on the sides in the rear compartments rather than under the floor.

You are also required to have a main electrical breaker so I think the Perko switch is standard even with 1 battery. Not sure if the US versions have this.

I think theres more, but Im not sure.