Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vlx from dealer..

mogge1

UPDATE. The text here has been changed since the beginning of this thread.

I bought a Vlx -06 and got it shipped to another country.

It wasn´t possible to go see the boat before the deal. It is bad, I know.

But lots of exchanged e-mails made me confident with the seller.

When I got the boat it was a few issues with it.

The heater (Was one of the reasons I bought just that boat) (Only cold air) Fixed today (easy problem- see thread)

The hot water shower doesn´t work. (fixed, new pump)

The tower lights didn´t work. ( They are now working, relay etc)

The anchor light didn´t work. (Fixed it myself)

The cover was in really bad condition. (messed up)

The transome remote control doesn´t work.

The batteries where worn out

Etc..

I wrote the seller at Smooth water sports and they told me they would ship me a new cover.

( I hope it is in the mail somewhere, it was shipped a long time ago..)

They also gave me lots of tips to solve the other problems witch I was able to do myself.

Most of it is fixed (Except the transome remote control)

I still have lots of confidence with Smooth water sports.

Maybe it didn´t sound like that in my earlier post, that is why I wanted to change the text here.

Because this is the first people see entering this thread.

/ Morgan

Edited by mogge1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mogge1

• Faceplant409

• SunriseH2OSkier

• D-GOOSE

on the heater and shower - basically any boat mechanic should be able to help with those if you cannot fix yourself. They are pretty simple systems, they just use water circulating through the engine and an exchanger to get heat. That means the engine has to be up to operating temp, and I know mine will not produce heat at just idle, it needs to revved slightly.

Thats unfortunate, but we all here have heard great things about Smooth water sports, so hang in there. On a positive note, heater, shower, lights, stereo remote, all are, or could be. aftermarket parts. What I mean by that is there are fairly easy to get parts for and fix yourself. I know thats not what you bought, but overall if your interior, hull, and drive components are what you were expecting. For buying a boat sight unseen, not too bad. Just trying to put a little positive on this.

I bought a Vlx -06 and got it shipped to another country.

It wasn´t possible to go see the boat before the deal. It is bad, I know.

But lots of exchanged e-mails made me rather confident with the seller.

-Smooth water sports. They told me the boat was in good to great condition.

When I got the boat it was and still is a few issues with it.

The heater (Was one of the reasons I bought just that boat) Doesn´t work. (Only cold air)

The hot water shower doesn´t work. (Nothing happens when I turn the switch)

The tower lights didn´t work. (I got that fixed myself)

Etc..

I wrote the seller at Smooth water sports and they told me they would ship me a new cover.

(The rest they cannot help me with :( - There are no Malibu dealers around. )

It was more than a month ago they told me they would ship the cover. I still haven´t heard anything.

I e-mailed them without any response.

This was my first Malibu and I really like the boat over all.

I will get a new boat sooner or later.

Can anyone give me a good advice to not be treated this way?

And if there is anything to do?

Or is it just to accept that they didn´t deliver what I bought from them?

If a boat is in good to great condition I expected all the equipment to work.

I´m kind of sad today. I´m cold, I really wanted a heater.. Brr

Any tips and ideas would be great. Thanks

/ Morgan

That is a bummer, but it doesn't sound like anything too serious.

Here are my thoughts on your situation:

A) that they may never have got all of your emails, email is not guaranteed delivery

B) try to actually call and speak with their service dept, they also may be able to walk you through fixing some of your issues

C) followup email every other day, very kindly and asking for response, and that you have sent prior emails unanswered so you are not sure they are getting through.

D) The cover might be stuck in customs, or stolen during shipment (you didn't say which country), if you can contact them (see above) and get the shipping info - shipper, ticket # etc you may be able to track it down.

E) Give them the benefit of the doubt instead of the opposite, SWS has a good rep to uphold, let them deliver on it.

E) Give them the benefit of the doubt instead of the opposite, SWS has a good rep to uphold, let them deliver on it.

Good advice. Under the best of circumstances, the logistics of an international deal like this would be very difficult.

I'd be pissed to bud, but a lot of it could have happened during the shipping process ya know. for example, they might not have unhooked the battery on accident before shipping and something drained them, or something in shipment hit the bow light or just a loose wire on your transom remote. I have no experience with that dealer, but if these say positive things about them, I'd trust them. I agree with blackpearl on this one, try giving them a call. and explain what's going on...considering they basically told you there was nothing they could do (which I kind of agree with considering it would more than likely involve shipping the boat back to them) you might start by explaining the situation again, and pause to see what they say (you never know they might offer a solution this time) but if they don't then I'd kindly ask for advice on some DIY repairs. like what do check for with the heater and shower, or something like that. I'm sure they'd help ya. if you are somewhat mechanically inclined you should be able to fix these problems. also... try searching on here for some troubleshooting tips and start narrowing the problem down. like I said it could be some loose wires. check the wiring on your remote, and even the back of the switch for the shower, as well as the shower motor and make sure its all connected to begin with! goodluck man, I'm sure some others here can help you get it back to new so you can enjoy it!

by the way, how bout posting some pics of the new ride!

Morgan,

I'm sorry you felt the need to post your negative feelings publicly, I would have thought differently on that. But since you did, I will respond once and only once in this thread.

As you were aware with the numerous photos I emailed you, this VLX was a used 2006 demo boat from Malibu. While the boat was in great shape, I listed it as "good to excellent condition", and while you kept pressing me on that, without seeing it in person all I could do was send photos and describe it.

Here are my exact words:

Unless the boats are flawless I always state that they are not a “showroom boat”, meaning that the boat has been used, and I’m sure there are marks or a scratch somewhere on the boat. The boat is “good to excellent” condition, meaning that it’s all very good. Depending on the person some customers would say that it’s “excellent”, and others that keep their boats inside a garage all year would say that’s “good”.

As you mentioned, it had some time on it, with 298 hours on the clock. And we had nothing else close in price since you were looking for a "deal boat", and based on the fact that we were a dealer you first simply refused to even look at it, since you said "dealers don't usually give very good prices". You had a budget to meet, so I did my best to make it work for you. Since you are overseas I agree to find a good company to deliver to Norfolk port for you, as soon as Malibu had finished prepping the boat. It took awhile to get the funds from the overseas banks anyhow, so that worked out fine. We asked Malibu to lower the tower, and put the platform/etc inside the boat for the trip.

You received the boat according to your email on 6/17, and found out that like all ski and wakeboard boats, it has some steering torque. Although I explained about steering torque and how to adjust it, you still posted the same question on themalibucrew asking why your boat pulls to the right. My mistake in not informing you on some inboard nuances, I apologize for that. You also informed me in the same email that the cover was didn't fit, it was too small. I didn't understand, so I asked you to send some pics of that. Come to find out you had simply not released the ratchet strap to put the cover on.

But, we also saw that the ratchet was rusty and since you were not happy with it, we ordered a new cover from Malibu on 6/23, to drop ship direct to you. Malibu informed me and I passed it on to you that the cover was on order with Great Lakes, and was expected to ship around 7/10.

On 6/25 we again asked you about a dealer, since these issues are all under warranty if you could take it in for them to diagnose or repair. (Apparently you have no dealer anywhere in Sweden to look at this) We asked you to explain what part of the heater doesn't work, and you stated that it doesn't leak, the fan runs, but blows cold air. So I explained in detail how the unit is plumbed from the engine, and to make sure the hoses appeared to be installed correctly. You asked about the hoses being clogged and that you were going to look into that possibility.

You also said that "The connection you mention for the heater cannot be turned around. The hoses are to short and bent for the way they are on now." Well, I can only help those that want to be helped. If you take my suggestions and implement them it may work better.

The tower lights apparently weren't working and we informed you about the fuse location and the relays, and it sounds like perhaps from the trip overseas the boat got some corrosion in a relay, and you were able to replace it.

The hot water shower not pumping I assumed was a pump issue, but someone needs to check and see if there is power to it. As I mentioned I'd bet that it to got a little salt air from the boat trip over the pond and the brushes are stuck or rusted. Once known a replacement pump could be sent if it is bad, and the original shipped back.

Your anchor light not working was just as we suspected. Salt air corrosion - you cleaned it and it worked.

The transom remote that doesn't work can be shipped back and a warranty replacement can be shipped to you, provided you pay for shipping, and the original is bad. I believe we spoke about this.

Your line item about the "batteries worn out" is something I have no record of. Not sure how they wear out in 2 years, but at this point I'm guessing you charged them up or replaced them.

I just received an email from you asking about the cover, which I had assumed had been delivered by now. I sent in inquiry to Malibu asking the same thing, and when I get information on it I will let you know. Next time I'd reccomend you ask about the status, not send me an email assuming that I was lying to you.

Morgan, I am truly sorry that your used boat was not in perfect condition for you, and there were issues that should not have been. I have worked with you in trying to resolve each issue to date. But let me tell you right now, this is not the way to get good service next door, let alone from another country.

Peter Brown

Smooth Water Sports

Morgan,

I'm sorry you felt the need to post your negative feelings publicly, I would have thought differently on that. But since you did, I will respond once and only once in this thread.

As you were aware with the numerous photos I emailed you, this VLX was a used 2006 demo boat from Malibu. While the boat was in great shape, I listed it as "good to excellent condition", and while you kept pressing me on that, without seeing it in person all I could do was send photos and describe it.

Here are my exact words:

Unless the boats are flawless I always state that they are not a “showroom boat”, meaning that the boat has been used, and I’m sure there are marks or a scratch somewhere on the boat. The boat is “good to excellent” condition, meaning that it’s all very good. Depending on the person some customers would say that it’s “excellent”, and others that keep their boats inside a garage all year would say that’s “good”.

As you mentioned, it had some time on it, with 298 hours on the clock. And we had nothing else close in price since you were looking for a "deal boat", and based on the fact that we were a dealer you first simply refused to even look at it, since you said "dealers don't usually give very good prices". You had a budget to meet, so I did my best to make it work for you. Since you are overseas I agree to find a good company to deliver to Norfolk port for you, as soon as Malibu had finished prepping the boat. It took awhile to get the funds from the overseas banks anyhow, so that worked out fine. We asked Malibu to lower the tower, and put the platform/etc inside the boat for the trip.

You received the boat according to your email on 6/17, and found out that like all ski and wakeboard boats, it has some steering torque. Although I explained about steering torque and how to adjust it, you still posted the same question on themalibucrew asking why your boat pulls to the right. My mistake in not informing you on some inboard nuances, I apologize for that. You also informed me in the same email that the cover was didn't fit, it was too small. I didn't understand, so I asked you to send some pics of that. Come to find out you had simply not released the ratchet strap to put the cover on.

But, we also saw that the ratchet was rusty and since you were not happy with it, we ordered a new cover from Malibu on 6/23, to drop ship direct to you. Malibu informed me and I passed it on to you that the cover was on order with Great Lakes, and was expected to ship around 7/10.

On 6/25 we again asked you about a dealer, since these issues are all under warranty if you could take it in for them to diagnose or repair. (Apparently you have no dealer anywhere in Sweden to look at this) We asked you to explain what part of the heater doesn't work, and you stated that it doesn't leak, the fan runs, but blows cold air. So I explained in detail how the unit is plumbed from the engine, and to make sure the hoses appeared to be installed correctly. You asked about the hoses being clogged and that you were going to look into that possibility.

You also said that "The connection you mention for the heater cannot be turned around. The hoses are to short and bent for the way they are on now." Well, I can only help those that want to be helped. If you take my suggestions and implement them it may work better.

The tower lights apparently weren't working and we informed you about the fuse location and the relays, and it sounds like perhaps from the trip overseas the boat got some corrosion in a relay, and you were able to replace it.

The hot water shower not pumping I assumed was a pump issue, but someone needs to check and see if there is power to it. As I mentioned I'd bet that it to got a little salt air from the boat trip over the pond and the brushes are stuck or rusted. Once known a replacement pump could be sent if it is bad, and the original shipped back.

Your anchor light not working was just as we suspected. Salt air corrosion - you cleaned it and it worked.

The transom remote that doesn't work can be shipped back and a warranty replacement can be shipped to you, provided you pay for shipping, and the original is bad. I believe we spoke about this.

Your line item about the "batteries worn out" is something I have no record of. Not sure how they wear out in 2 years, but at this point I'm guessing you charged them up or replaced them.

I just received an email from you asking about the cover, which I had assumed had been delivered by now. I sent in inquiry to Malibu asking the same thing, and when I get information on it I will let you know. Next time I'd reccomend you ask about the status, not send me an email assuming that I was lying to you.

Morgan, I am truly sorry that your used boat was not in perfect condition for you, and there were issues that should not have been. I have worked with you in trying to resolve each issue to date. But let me tell you right now, this is not the way to get good service next door, let alone from another country.

Peter Brown

Smooth Water Sports

I have no bad things to say about you Peter, some times you have been great ! Helping me out just like you say.

But the issues remain. And it was quite some time ago I e-mailed you and asked about the cover. And the truth is I never did get a respond back from you.

Again. You have been very helpful, still the issues with the boat remains. I don´t see this as complaining at SWS, It might have been a misstake to mention that name. I didn´t mean to say something bad about you.

I knew the boat was used and I haven´t aid anything about the scratches and rips in the interior. I still think that the stuff should work.. that is all.

Also if you had respond in the e-mails and not let me wait a week for a reply.. I wouldn´t have turned somewhere else for tips and ideas. Like this forum. But when the days go by and I don´t get a respond I get nervous because I want to solve the issues fast..

No hard feelings at all.

/ Morgan

Edited by mogge1

I think it sounds like you got a great deal on a used boat that is still under warranty. I wouldn't be upset if I were you. The boat sounds like it's in very good condition. A lot of people have issues with showers, heaters, and transom remotes.

Are you going to winterize the boat? You'll have to learn how to winterize the shower and heater. I'm sure you'll figure it out (or whoever does it for you), and have them working in no time.

One of the things I always tell people is that your dealer will make or break a good part of your boat ownership experience, so while Malibu would always be my first choice strictly from a boat perspective, if I had a lousy dealer in the area I lived I would consider changing to another brand where I could be insured of receiving good support.

Unfortunately, you made the decision to go with a brand with no dealer in your area. That tied both your hands and SWS in this case. If Pete's response is an honest one, and given his history on this site it would be very hard for me to believe it isn't, it sounds like he's gone above and beyond here. He's helped you to troubleshoot issues because you don't have anywhere else you can apparently go to for help. And many of these issues are ones that are frankly not that difficult to troubleshoot.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for here, but I think it's safe to say most people on here would agree that Pete has been more than helpful and you're being a bit unrealistic in your expectations given the situation.

My $.02.

Mike

I gotta say, I can't think of another dealer that I'd rather have handle such a transaction. If Peter and team can't make you happy then no one can. I feel sorry for Peter having to waste his time replying to this post...

I have only heard good things about smooth water sports, so like everyone else says try giving them the benefit of the doubt.

How was the boat shipped? It sounds like a lot of these could be related.

The tower lights didn´t work. (I got that fixed myself)

How did you fix these? were the light bulbs burned out? It could be during shipping the switches were flipped on and it drained the battery and/or burned out the lights.

It might help if you could try to do some troubleshooting to help identify the problems, then the dealer might be able to help a little more.

The heater (Was one of the reasons I bought just that boat) Doesn´t work. (Only cold air).

When you turn the heater on, do you hear the fan? If so, there are only a few possible problems (engine not up to temp, engine idling as opposed to higher RPMs, clogged hot water lines). If not, then it could just be a blown fuse - perhaps somehow this was also turned on accidently during shipping.

The hot water shower doesn´t work. (Nothing happens when I turn the switch).

Pretty much the same as the heater. make sure the pump is working and the fuse to the pump is good. Make sure the valves to the shower are open.

The already said they would send you a cover, I would followl up as mentioned above. Was it shipped with the cover on? this could have messed it up.

It could be the connection was jarred loose during transit as well. I would see if you could track the wire from the head unit to the transom remote. What kind of remote is it? If it's the sony remote they are pretty notorius for not working when they get wet and then magically working again when they dry out. Mine didn't work on the water and when I took the boat to the dealer it worked perfectly. I'm not sure I can blame a dealer for this one if it worked in the shop.

I know it's frustrating to have issues, but I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase once these minor items are all ironed out.

...some people would b**** if you hung them with a brand new rope.....

Is the OP a first time boat owner?? Kinda sounds like it...

Patrick

I was wondering if you actually had your boat in the water with motor on and warm when trying the heater and/or shower? Won't the heater blow cold air unless engine is warm and shower isn't going to work if boats not in water nor will the water be hot if engine isn't. Just some thoughts, hope all works out.

I thought we weren't gonna allow any more dealer bashing/trolls?

The dealer is participating in this one, & it appears that he's more than holding his own. Maybe it will set a good example for others that would try to do the same.

The thread is not about the dealer really, it is about solving the issues about the boat !

The dealer have been great, as many people say here, (good publicity, that´s why I in the end bought the boat from them. But still, the issues remain. I might have trouble getting that through. My english isn´t the best.

Strange thing is that I´ve tried all of thoose things with the heater and shower etc. As you bring up here.

Still not working.

And I´m not a first time boat owner that are useless with boats and mechanics,

believe it or not, just been into other brands before.

Oh well.. I guess these things won´t be solved here then,.

Thanks anyways..

IF you want help fixing the problems, there will be many here willing to help walk you through it. All you need to do is ask. If you are wanting something else you might not be so lucky with the positive responses.

What have you tried to do to diagnose the problems with the heater & shower?

I thought we weren't gonna allow any more dealer bashing/trolls?

The dealer is participating in this one, & it appears that he's more than holding his own. Maybe it will set a good example for others that would try to do the same.

Plus1.gif

IF you want help fixing the problems, there will be many here willing to help walk you through it. All you need to do is ask. If you are wanting something else you might not be so lucky with the positive responses.

What have you tried to do to diagnose the problems with the heater & shower?

I have asked here earlier and got some good tips, also from the dealer what I can check. And I have checked all that has been said. I haven´t checked if the hoses are clogged because the dealer said that they never heard of that and that would probably not be it.

The thread is not about the dealer really, it is about solving the issues about the boat !

The dealer have been great, as many people say here, (good publicity, that´s why I in the end bought the boat from them. But still, the issues remain. I might have trouble getting that through. My english isn´t the best.

Strange thing is that I´ve tried all of thoose things with the heater and shower etc. As you bring up here.

Still not working.

And I´m not a first time boat owner that are useless with boats and mechanics,

believe it or not, just been into other brands before.

Oh well.. I guess these things won´t be solved here then,.

Thanks anyways..

Morgan, congrats on the new to you bu. I have been watching this unfold and have read all your past posts and threads. You have started threads asking for help but never went back to report to the members at what repairs you tried, what worked or didn’t work. As mentioned numerous time’s Peter has a great reputation, gives great advise and is one of the people I could take for his word. IMO Peter is a top-notch dealer and wish he was in my area. If you didn’t want to attack the dealer then you would have asked for help on each problem as you had started to do with past threads.

Your title “Everything didn’t work as it should” made me think you had a major problem with the boat. But what I’m finding out is you have just little issues (feel lucky) to work out and it may be from the long trip. IMO Peter has given you great help at fixing your issues. With you being over seas and no dealer near you, things will take time to get repaired.

You stated “Oh well.. I guess these things won’t be solved here then,.

Thanks anyways..” What do you want to come out of this thread?

JMO but this is some of the things I would try do in order to have your issues fixed.

Go back to your other threads, let us know what you have done/tried and if you have fixed the problem or need more help.

Make contact with Peter in a private E-mail and see what you have to do for warranty on some items. That is if you still have a problem with them.

If you send E-mail with out a response with in a few days resend it or make a call. People get busy and some times over look a message from time to time.

Morgan it sounds like you have found a sweet boat at a great deal with a dealer that is willing to work with you. The problems you have are just the little things in life and just think of how bad of a deal you could have received with the wrong dealer. I can't imagine paying so much money for some thing that I couldn't put my hands and eyes on before buying. You found a great trust in Peter and you may just want to keep it and a great relationship with him. Peter has vast knowledge and with you not having a dealer in your area, SWS is going to be your best place to go for replacement parts and help.

Sorry for the long read but this is JM2C

I would say there are only a handful of dealers in the world that would do what Smooth Water Sports has done for you!

I'll second what others have said: let's discuss your problems one at a time.

Good luck!

Patrick