Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

turn down stainless exhaust

snowrider

Thinking about getting these. Are they worth it?

Primary reason for purchasing would be to reduce noise

in cabin. Any feedback from those that have had them installed would be awesome.

in cabin. Any feedback from those that have had them installed would be awesome.

I installed a pair of the turn-downs without the insert gizmos and I couldn't tell the noise difference. I don't think they sell them without the inserts anymore either.

I was more concerned about fumigating surfers and the turn-downs seemed to help a little.

You might put an ad on the "wanted" list. -Charlie

Had an 06 lsv with "flaps", Have an 08 LSV with turndowns. BIG difference in noise at 1000-1500 rpm. VERY glad we got them

I put them on and thought there was a significant reduction in noise from the back of the boat , would recomend them , plus you cant go wrong with bling . Biggrin.gif

Had an 06 lsv with "flaps", Have an 08 LSV with turndowns. BIG difference in noise at 1000-1500 rpm. VERY glad we got them

Doesn't the 08 have cats too, that the 06 didn't?

Could just be due to that

if you've got extra cash - go for the turn-downs, they look good too. I don't think they do much though

You need to specify which "turn downs" we're discussing. The older turn downs, the ones that do the full 90 degree turn & have no flaps or baffles? Or the newer tips that only turn maybe 30 or 45 degrees & have a baffle in them (these are called STE tips)?

You need to specify which "turn downs" we're discussing. The older turn downs, the ones that do the full 90 degree turn & have no flaps or baffles? Or the newer tips that only turn maybe 30 or 45 degrees & have a baffle in them (these are called STE tips)?

wakegirl is right, they are called STE (silent tip exhaust) exhaust tips, the full 90 degree tips are not available any longer from Malibu. The STE is the only factory down pipe available currently, you can see pictures on our parts site...http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

they make a huge difference in my opinion, when we run boats here at the shop they are on a fake-a-lake and the exhaust noise is cut in half. Great improvement over the stock flapper system with out sacrificing any horse power. Indmar tested the exhaust tips and the motors dyno tested at the same rating.

Does anyone know how easy/hard the turn down tips are to install? I have been thinking of doing the upgrade.

Not too bad, direct drives are harder, it takes us about 2-3 hours from start to finish. the hardest part is getting the old exhasut tips out of the back of the transom.

I have also been thinking about this upgrade. My 04 VLX with the Monsoon 340 is every bit as loud as my 2000 Sporty was in the cabin.

What about upgrading the to the newer version of the cats? Prices? Dontknow.gif Would that reduce some of the cabin noise. I feel like I need to scream to talk to passengers sitting in the rear of the boat and it is quite aggravating. Mad.gif

I have also been thinking about this upgrade. My 04 VLX with the Monsoon 340 is every bit as loud as my 2000 Sporty was in the cabin.

What about upgrading the to the newer version of the cats? Prices? Dontknow.gif Would that reduce some of the cabin noise. I feel like I need to scream to talk to passengers sitting in the rear of the boat and it is quite aggravating. Mad.gif

Really? Dontknow.gif You mean talking while driving? I don't know anyone that does much talking while crusin' across the lake... More wind noise than engine noise.

I find it more enjoyable to stop and float if I want to chat it up Thumbup.gif

Really? Dontknow.gif You mean talking while driving? I don't know anyone that does much talking while crusin' across the lake... More wind noise than engine noise.

I find it more enjoyable to stop and float if I want to chat it up Thumbup.gif

Well of course I stop when I want to have a decent conversation, but when we are cruising with friends and I want to point out a house or something, I feel like I need to shout for them to hear me. I have been thinking about installing Dynamat around the engine and along the rear of the seat to dampen some engine noise when I do my system install this winter, I hope that softens some of the noise. Dontknow.gif

• 2 weeks later...

wakegirl is right, they are called STE (silent tip exhaust) exhaust tips, the full 90 degree tips are not available any longer from Malibu. The STE is the only factory down pipe available currently, you can see pictures on our parts site...<a href="http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756" target="_blank">http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756</a>

they make a huge difference in my opinion, when we run boats here at the shop they are on a fake-a-lake and the exhaust noise is cut in half. Great improvement over the stock flapper system with out sacrificing any horse power. Indmar tested the exhaust tips and the motors dyno tested at the same rating.

are these available for boats older than a 96 , and are these things more prone to letting an engine backwash the cylinders?

i just had the STEs installed on my VTX with 320 LCR and can't tell a differnece in the boat, behind the boat or in another boat. They do look cool, but on my boat with my engine I can't tell a difference. I do like the idea of cutting down on the fumes to the surfer and I've seen some comments that some people seem to think that they can tell a difference as to the fumes getting to the surfer. If CO is colorless, odorless and tasteless, how can you tell if the turn downs are helping with this? Are you supposed to feel a "high" if your getting too much exhaust? I've never felt any change

i just had the STEs installed on my VTX with 320 LCR and can't tell a differnece in the boat, behind the boat or in another boat. They do look cool, but on my boat with my engine I can't tell a difference. I do like the idea of cutting down on the fumes to the surfer and I've seen some comments that some people seem to think that they can tell a difference as to the fumes getting to the surfer. If CO is colorless, odorless and tasteless, how can you tell if the turn downs are helping with this? Are you supposed to feel a "high" if your getting too much exhaust? I've never felt any change

CO might be odorless but you can still smell the exhaust smell which i'm sure is what people are talking about.

Everybody i boat with said there was a noticeable difference in "exhaust smell" after my buddy installed STE tips on his 03 Wakesetter...

you could always surf with one of those CO stickers on your chest and see if it changes color... that would be interesting...

wakegirl is right, they are called STE (silent tip exhaust) exhaust tips, the full 90 degree tips are not available any longer from Malibu. The STE is the only factory down pipe available currently, you can see pictures on our parts site...<a href="http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756" target="_blank">http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756</a>

are these available for boats older than a 96 , and are these things more prone to letting an engine backwash the cylinders?

Diggity,

i don't see why you couldn't install it on any boat with 3 1/2 inch exhaust...