Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan Bimini frame!!

ADHD

Mad.gif Today went to the local lake and went to pull the bimini out and NO can do IT would Not slide open for the life of it!! The past couple times out I noticed it getting a bit tough to slide out and back in but never thought it to be that big of a deal and Today it littlery PIssed me off..

I have the Titan 2 tower with the Titan soft top bimini and the frame of the bimini took a crap I litterly had to take a hammer to get it to open to full extension to screw it to the tower so we could use it today.. There is no way that thing is closing back up so I had to drive home with it open and have to the conclusion I need a new frame..This is seriously a manufactor defect and u bet ill be on the phone in the morning with Titan This is not a cheap Bimini to have the frame just bind up and not open/close..Curious to see if anyones had the same experience or has any suggestions on how to handle the situation!! Cry.gifMad.gif

Mad.gif Today went to the local lake and went to pull the bimini out and NO can do IT would Not slide open for the life of it!! The past couple times out I noticed it getting a bit tough to slide out and back in but never thought it to be that big of a deal and Today it littery PIssed me off..

I have the Titan 2 tower with the Titan soft top bimini and the frame of the bimini took a crap I litterly had to take a hammer to get it to open to full extension to screw it to the tower so we could use it today.. There is no way that thing is closing back up so I had to drive home with it open and have to the conclusion I need a new frame..This is seriously a manufactor defect and u bet ill be on the phone in the morning with Titan This is not a cheap Bimini to have the frame just bind up and not open/close..Curious to see if anyones had the same experience or has any suggestions on how to handle the situation!! Cry.gifMad.gif

I had a similar problem with the titan bimini that came with the used sunscape I purchased this spring. The only way I could get it to extend was to take off one of the end caps and drill a hole all the way through. I was then able to use a screw driver stuck through the hole to pull it out. After close inspection, I found a 1/4 inch ping in the outer frame that was compressed against the inner. The only way I could fix it without buying a new frame was to take out the dremmel and cut out the compressed area and then polish it up. Fortunately the area i cut out was small and was covered up by one of the crossbar mounts.

Ya I was actually thinking of taking it off the boat and taking it apart and seeing whats stopping it.. Like u said I may have to dremel it rounder and polish it out with some sandpaper..I just dont think its coming off at all for the life of it. There was 2 of us big guys out there trying to pull on it to open and it wasnt budging I had to use a damb hammer and bang the s*** out of it..Im about to give Titan a call when i get my break and see what they say!

I have the same Top as well and when I did the install noticed that it was tight, I’m fortunate that I don’t have to collapse mine. My recommendation would be to call Titan directly and explain to them what type of problems you are having. I found that there customer service is one of the best in the business!

Here is the number ask for Rocky! 916-858-1178 ext. 103

Shawn

I have the same Top as well and when I did the install noticed that it was tight, I’m fortunate that I don’t have to collapse mine. My recommendation would be to call Titan directly and explain to them what type of problems you are having. I found that there customer service is one of the best in the business!

Shawn

I actually got ahold of rocky yesterday morning and hes really helpful thats for sure!!

It actually comes down to it that the bimini I have Is not made by them He doesnt even know who made it and is doing some research on it for he said they have the exclusive through great lakes boat tops but my frame is a bit different and the connections are solid metal compared to what they sell so I have a mysterious bimini thats a copycat to there titan cover...I even took a couple steps back and found out that my tower and bimini were purchased from Tillys and installed by them and they are a authorized Titan dealer so Noones sure what kind of top i have!

Does anyone know of any other company making biminis for the Titan 2 tower that look just like the ones titan makes??

Shawn

I actually got ahold of rocky yesterday morning and hes really helpful thats for sure!!

It actually comes down to it that the bimini I have Is not made by them He doesnt even know who made it and is doing some research on it for he said they have the exclusive through great lakes boat tops but my frame is a bit different and the connections are solid metal compared to what they sell so I have a mysterious bimini thats a copycat to there titan cover...I even took a couple steps back and found out that my tower and bimini were purchased from Tillys and installed by them and they are a authorized Titan dealer so Noones sure what kind of top i have!

Does anyone know of any other company making biminis for the Titan 2 tower that look just like the ones titan makes??

WOW! Sound interesting...If you need a new one I ordered mine through wakeside.com. It will be drop shipped from Great Lakes to your door! Also, the folks at Great Lakes are super easy to work with as well. If your a paid member I think there is a great discount as well!

Let me know what you find out!

Shawn

Edited by srintx

I have an '04 VLX with a T-II also. If I remember correctly..... Titan made a prototype top in '04 for the T-II. Then had it made for them by Great Lakes. There were a couple of different versions of it IIRC. I have one and it has become increasingly hard to telescope in-out. I actually modified mine by making the bends deeper and shortening the top portions of the telescope section. They were binding on the bottom few inches of the lower tubes. When the tubing bends, it distorts out-of-round, thus friction. It's not a "bad" system, but it could have been done better....

To make mine better I think I:

1. pull off the plastic pieces at the joint.

2. I think I cut 2" off the larger diameter tubes with a tubing cutter to keep the tubes round. *** check to make sure 2" is not too much!!!

3. Deburr and sand the edges so they are smooth.

Good luck!

Pat

I have an '04 VLX with a T-II also. If I remember correctly..... Titan made a prototype top in '04 for the T-II. Then had it made for them by Great Lakes. There were a couple of different versions of it IIRC. I have one and it has become increasingly hard to telescope in-out. I actually modified mine by making the bends deeper and shortening the top portions of the telescope section. They were binding on the bottom few inches of the lower tubes. When the tubing bends, it distorts out-of-round, thus friction. It's not a "bad" system, but it could have been done better....

To make mine better I think I:

1. pull off the plastic pieces at the joint.

2. I think I cut 2" off the larger diameter tubes with a tubing cutter to keep the tubes round. *** check to make sure 2" is not too much!!!

3. Deburr and sand the edges so they are smooth.

Good luck!

Pat

Good info thanks Pat!

I also have the Titan II and had the same problems with the telescoping legs binding and not being able to extend them. I took it off the boat and finally got the legs to extend. I took some white axle grease and wiped it on the legs with a towel and they seem to work fine now. Just a temporary fix, but it worked.

I have the same problem with my Bimini on my Titan III tower. My dealer is working on the issue with the Bimini Manufacturer (Great Lakes Boat Top Company). Frankly, they appear have been difficult for my dealer and their first reaction was that it was my fault for not completely unscrewing the locking nuts, in spite of the fact that the scratches didn't line up with the locking nuts. However, they seem to be coming around but it has been 2 weeks and still no warranty replacement. I had to supply a bunch of #s off the tag on my bimini which will hopefully help.

http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/bimini-top

Edited by Matt_Alger
  • 2 weeks later...

took mine to dealer yesterday and they said they would either send off or ask for new leg. Apparently the problem comes from female end not being machined clean enough.