Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom rope and handle

Bondo

Crew,

I need to purchase a new sectional slalom rope and handle also a good wakeboard rope set up. Does any one

have any suggestions on what type to buy. I have been out of the game for a

long time. I want to buy the good stuff. I have a slalom one, but the grip is not good, very slippery. My kids hate it.

Thanks all,

Bondo

In tow makes very good stuff, you can find it on the internet. Masterline also makes good products. Handles are a personal choice and there are many variations out there to choose from. I would stop at a dealer to check out what feels good.

In tow makes very good stuff, you can find it on the internet. Masterline also makes good products. Handles are a personal choice and there are many variations out there to choose from. I would stop at a dealer to check out what feels good.

No dealers with-in 4 hours of me. I live 6 miles south of Canadien border in Minnesota.

I will try to find something online. Is there a handle that works with or without gloves.

Edited by Bondo

Check what other boats on the lake you use might have. Grad the handle they use and see how it feels. Where in Minnesota, I know there are some lakes near Brainerd. You can look through or get some of the supplier catalogs: Bart's, Overton's are pretty popular. I personally always ski with gloves, it really tears your hands apart without.

In tow is at www.jlbmfg.com. I have used some of their stuff for a while and it is very good. I don't know if Brenda makes wakeboard ropes and handles or just traditional 3 event stuff.

Check what other boats on the lake you use might have. Grad the handle they use and see how it feels. Where in Minnesota, I know there are some lakes near Brainerd. You can look through or get some of the supplier catalogs: Bart's, Overton's are pretty popular. I personally always ski with gloves, it really tears your hands apart without.

I am 4 hours north of Brainerd. There are only 2 other "ski" boats up here. I ski on the Warroad river.

I live right on Lake of the Woods.

Accurate and StraightLine is what I've always used for slalom. Usually a StrightLine handle (Signature B-2 i think). Proline also makes a good handle. I use elliptical handle with no "tractor" grip. The tractor grip tears up my hands a bit more, and I don't sense better performance.

post-5643-1218136286_thumb.jpg

Edited by gjsmith73

I have a Masterline and a Straightline, both in 1.125" diameter, and prefer the Masterline much more. The masterline has a smaller core, and therefore more rubber on the handle. The key thing that I like on any handle is the thickness. I find the thicker handles are much easier on the palms than the standard ones. The standard thickness is around .85", and it puts more stress on my forearms and causes calluses easier.

In tow is at www.jlbmfg.com. I have used some of their stuff for a while and it is very good. I don't know if Brenda makes wakeboard ropes and handles or just traditional 3 event stuff.

Plus1.gif

Call Brenda at in tow. She'll make any size ski handle you want, top quality. Her ropes are also very accurate. As far as wake board stuff, Dontknow.gif .

Plus1.gif

Call Brenda at in tow. She'll make any size ski handle you want, top quality. Her ropes are also very accurate. As far as wake board stuff, Dontknow.gif .

What kind of line do I get for wake boarding? I have seen those small dia. lines in pictures. Also what length of wake-board line do I get.

What kind of line do I get for wake boarding? I have seen those small dia. lines in pictures. Also what length of wake-board line do I get.

Check out this poll/thread for what people are using wakeboard rope poll

The winner by a little, in this poll at least, seems to be the Accurate 'Jacket' series. For a beginner, any spectra non-stretch rope should be good.

The difference between the two ropes is that ski ropes will stretch, wakeboard ropes are made so they don't stretch.

As for lengths...

ski rope is 75 ft long. The difference (other than quality of rope) will be how many "off" sections you want/need. The rope that I bought started out at 15 off, so my rope is only 60 feet long. I believe it was one of the straight line ropes.

Wakeboard rope: You will probably want to find the longest non-stretch rope you can, it will also probably have sections. My rope is somewhere between 75 and 80 feet total, but I know we are riding at 63 feet right now. As you get better with a bigger wake you may want to use a longer rope. I say "may" because the wake on my malibu seems to be wider than the wake on my friends mastercraft or another nautique we have on the lake and it only gets wider as you get a longer rope. If you do get a short rope, you can get extensions. If I ever need them I think I have two 5 foot extensions I can add to my rope.

The last couple of Straightline ropes that I bought gave me a lot of problems with twisting and they were not accurate when it came to the length. One of the was short by almost 2.5'. I am very happy with Masterline ropes. As far as handles, that varies so much from person to person. Currently I am using a US Gear handle. I like their build quality a lot.

• 7 months later...
The last couple of Straightline ropes that I bought gave me a lot of problems with twisting and they were not accurate when it came to the length. One of the was short by almost 2.5'. I am very happy with Masterline ropes. As far as handles, that varies so much from person to person. Currently I am using a US Gear handle. I like their build quality a lot.

We sell Masterline ropes, handles, gloves and gear thru our club at discounted prices. Before you buy, shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you a price.

jdarwin (at) lakesatcottonwood.com

Iv'e been buying the Gladiator Attack Handle with 17 degee bend the last few years and one by one eveyone has started using the same. Not a tournment quality legnth but a great to hold handle from Overtons. and the price is right!

Iv'e been buying the Gladiator Attack Handle with 17 degee bend the last few years and one by one eveyone has started using the same. Not a tournment quality legnth but a great to hold handle from Overtons. and the price is right!

Just bought an A-Line and though I haven't used it yet, it's pretty sweet. One thing though, I don't think A-Line's float. Maybe someone can verify that for me.

That is good to hear. I bought myself one for Christmas and am anxious to try it out (after everything melts).

You've got a couple great shops in MN that will ship to you, give the boys at MN Inboard a call or hit me up at [email protected] We both have awesome pro shops with a great selection and knowledable staff, wont steer you wrong. Not 100% sure about Inboard but we carry Masterline, Straightline and Accurate ropes and handles.