Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust when pulling someone up?

Is it normal to see exhaust coming out the exhaust pipes when I am picking someone up? Its not a lot but I noticed it when I was watching some video that we were taking you can see it everytime I start to pull someone up. Once we are going its fine and you can't see anything.

It could be steam from water hitting parts of the engine/exhaust system that are not normally bathed in fresh cooling water when you take off.

Is it 'wispy' looking?

I had to look that word wispy up but ya that is what it loks like I am going to try and get a video on youtube to show you guys what I am talking about. it could vapor also I am not sure if its exhaust.

Sounds like steam to me. Thats normal.

Is the motor going thru any oil?

I havent really checked I am going to look at this tonight. I was planning on checking that and the transmission fluid. I think that its more of a steam vapor cause as it rises i dont see it really rise anymore almost disappears

This is a normal condition for any boat with similar exhaust. Whien you first take off you are expelling the water that is sittiing in the engine and heating up at idle. Even if your not overheating, your exhaust leaving the exhaust port in the cylinder head is approximately 600 to 700 degrees. When this meets the water in the exhaust manifold it is going to boil. At idle you won't notice because the exhaust is under the water's surface and is cooled. As you take off the heated water leaves the exhaust and vapor is noticable because the exhaust is exposed. It will almost completely go away as your engine circulates fresh water. If you notice hazy blue smoke that lingers in the air, your burning oil. If you notice hazy or dark black smoke then your fuel mixture is too rich. Very observant. If you had not been watching a video, you might not have noticed.