Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Debacle

BigStig

I am a relativley new Malibu owner as this is the second season I have had my 97 Response LX. While I love this boat I have realized a few things, one being that I would prefer a v drive for the added space, two being that I have quickly become obsessed with wakeboarding and now am looking at way's to improve my current boat for the sport. With these additions of course I am finding out that there is a signifigant cost, esepcially if I get everything I want (tower, perfect pass, tower speakers, new stereo, etc). I paid 18.5k for my boat 2 years ago with 300 hours on it (this included 3k I stuck into it between new oem decals, buff out, new rub rail, and stereo deck, and other stuff), it now has 350 hours on it, is it worth me stick potenially 6k-10k in this boat, or should I just bite the bullet and persue a vride as this seems to be the boat that would suit my perposes and is the most affordable. Ohhhhh to throw another curve ball in there, my wife primarly slalom ski's and loves our response, will she be satisfied with the vride wake? Regardless having a Malibu seems to be my lively hood, so she will understand if we have to upgrade.

Thanks

You could look for an '02-04 Sunscape LSV with a wedge. You'll have the V-Drive but still a good ski wake. It's doubtful you'd find one with a tower though. You'd have to add it.

Sales pitch on: " or you could buy my iRide which kicks out a nice wake with the wedge, and still gives a decent ski wake since it's a direct drive. It's already got the tower, new stereo, speed control, wedge and built in ballast. Check it out in the For Sale section" Sales pitch off.

But it's not a V-Drive, and if you've got V-Drive stuck in your head, just buy it now, before you dump money into your current boat.

Ken

I would sell and buy a boat with most of the stuff you want on it. This is a little late in the year to sell and may not be the best for selling with our economy the way it is, still a serious slalom skier would be interested. I would hold off until the beginning of next summer to sell and don't buy anything until your sale is complete. There are tons of deals out there and boats to spare so finding what you want should not be hard at all.

Forget the V-drive, go with something like Badger’s I-ride or ….

My pick, to make You and Momma happy would be a Direct Drive Sunsetter LXI with a tower, wedge and possibly ballast tanks/fat sacs.

It won’t have a super monster wake, but would be one great package for a cross over that pleases everyone involved with plenty of room and skiablility.

Not to hijack the thread, or confuse the OP, but what about throwing a VTX into the mix. I have been extremely suprised how skiable the wake is. Add that to the wakeboarding, surfing ability and the loads of room in a 20 foot boat and you have a great package. Clap.gif

But then I may be a little biased!!!! Whistling.gif

If you are trying to keep your wife into skiing, I would tread lightly. Most of the women I ski with are pretty sensitive to bigger wakes, since they typically don't hold an edge as well as the men. And I am not talking about I/O bigger. I know my wife would not be very happy with any V drive I have been on except possible the LSV with the diamond hull like Badger is talking about.

Sunsetter LXI was a SOLID boat too.

Edited by bretski75

Not to sound crass, but 50 hours in two years?? Is adding 5K-10K to your current boat, or worse yet putting a whole lot more into a new boat worth it? I would sell the boat and bum rides on a wake boat. Your cost per hour to own your boat is huge. But, if you just really like having a boat, I guess that's worth something.

I absolutely love my 05 LSV with a diamond. I have it set up like the wakesetter (Tower, etc) but the ski wake is really pretty good. It was better than my 1992 Maristar 210! The storage and versatility is incredible, no complaints here regarding the wife that skis either....

Thanks everyone for your input, I now have a better idea of some alternative boats to look at. We have a Malibu dealer in the town I live in and am going down there this evening to do some looking.

Thanks Again!

Thanks everyone for your input, I now have a better idea of some alternative boats to look at. We have a Malibu dealer in the town I live in and am going down there this evening to do some looking.

Thanks Again!

Don't buy anything without having your wife ski behind it, that's for sure.

I am actually going to look at a 2004 sunsetter xti this afternoon, it has a wedge, titan tower, and ballast, 32k. From what I have read and researched this might serve my purpsoses.

I would suggest a very large bouquet of flowers or some very expensive present to get her when you sell the Response. Hopefully, your contract with her is very good. 50 hours per year may be optimistic if she is a key part of keeping you on the water as part of the fun.

I would call this a debate rather than debacle.

It probably comes down to how serious a skier she is. If she is running the course you aren't going to be able to get away from the Response. If she is a recreational skier you can probably find a compromise that is better for wakeboarding but still decent for slalom. Either way I would try to ski and ride behind whatever you are considering before making a purchase.

I am actually going to look at a 2004 sunsetter xti this afternoon, it has a wedge, titan tower, and ballast, 32k. From what I have read and researched this might serve my purpsoses.

23 or 21? The 23 is a great wake for the size of boat, but it will be a big difference from the response.

Ohhhhh to throw another curve ball in there, my wife primarly slalom ski's and loves our response, will she be satisfied with the vride wake?

If she is pretty serious about slalom skiing and crosses the wake fast & hard she will not like the wake on a V-drive. Maybe a Response LXI with wedge and ballast would work for both of you.