Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bleed Brakes

I am in the process of putting new brakes on my 96 Zeiman trailer. Anybody have any ideas on how to bleed the lines besides hooking it up to the truck having the wife drive around slamming on the brakes while I roll along on a creeper under the trailer?

On my older trailer with surge brakes we would hook up the ball mount hitch to the trailer (without a vehicle) and one person would apply pressure to the master cylinder (pushing down on the mount) as the other opened and closed the bleed valve on each wheel. I haven't had to bleed my trailer with a newer surge system but assume it would still work.

Depending on your actuator, you might be able to get a big screw driver in to move the pushrod on the master cylinder back and forth, otherwise you can notch the end of a 2x4 (or similar) then loop your safety chain/cable around the end of the 2x4 at ground level and back to the trailer and then use the 2x4 as a lever against the coupler.

I am in the process of putting new brakes on my 96 Zeiman trailer. Anybody have any ideas on how to bleed the lines besides hooking it up to the truck having the wife drive around slamming on the brakes while I roll along on a creeper under the trailer?

Very Funny,,,I laughed reading this one!!!! But Very good question,,,I hope the other responses helped as I might have tried what you said!!!LOL

Surge Brakes:

You should be able to push the tounge in & out with out any problems as someone opens & closes the bleeders.

Good news and bad news. Good news is Squag Mon was right, put the hitch on and it worked like a champ. Bad news is if the wife starts before you are ready it blows the rubber cap off the end of the bleeder and squirts directly in to your eye. Cry.gif