Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Issue

The power wedge on my 08 23LSV was stuck 1/4 of the way down today and it wouldn't retract. I reached under the swim platform and one of the two pistons was jammed up against the swim platform, which obviously wasn't good!

So I pulled the boat out of the water to take a look. It turns out the hinge bolt for the piston on the transom was gone. When I looked at the bolt holding the other piston, the threads did not extend beyond the lock nut. On closer inspection, the bolt wasn't even long enough for the threads to enter the nylon in the lock nut! So the bolt must've vibrated right out.

I can't believe such an idiot mistake could happen on a Malibu. The worst part is that the black rubber insulation around the piston wiring that goes back into the transom was sliced down to the metal wire insulation. My dealer advised me to brush liquid electrical tape on the split, then wrap it up in electrical tape. That should get me through to the end of the season, so I don't have to trailer my boat 3.5hrs to the dealer (each way). He'll replace the piston at the end of the season, so it will hopefully end well.

It might've just been an isolated issue, but I would recommend you check those bolts the next time you have your boat out of the water. Should be at least two threads showing past the end of the nut...

Mike

Just found out from the dealer how to raise the power wedge when it's on the trailer, and in the down position.

You get someone to turn the key on, then hold the "wedge up" button. Then you get under the boat and spin the paddle wheel. The paddle wheel is the sensor for the wedge knowing that the boat is moving forward. That makes sense as I noticed that the wedge wouldn't retract immediately after I put the boat in gear on the water. I guess it has a minimum flywheel speed...

I never would've figured that one out...

Just found out from the dealer how to raise the power wedge when it's on the trailer, and in the down position.

You get someone to turn the key on, then hold the "wedge up" button. Then you get under the boat and spin the paddle wheel. The paddle wheel is the sensor for the wedge knowing that the boat is moving forward. That makes sense as I noticed that the wedge wouldn't retract immediately after I put the boat in gear on the water. I guess it has a minimum flywheel speed...

I never would've figured that one out...

I believe that is a safety feature. The wedge will not go up unless the boat is moving forward - that helps ensures that no one gets a leg caught in the wedge while hanging around the boat.

Thanks for the note I'll also check mine.

I just got my boat back from the shop and first time out running across the lake I got a warning that I was going to fast with the Power Wedge deployed. Only problem was the Power Wedge was all the way up. When I looked at the dash indicator and it was showing the power wedge as partially deployed. The dealer's closed today so I'm not sure how that's going to be fixed. Has anyone seen anything similar?

The power wedge on my 08 23LSV was stuck 1/4 of the way down today and it wouldn't retract. I reached under the swim platform and one of the two pistons was jammed up against the swim platform, which obviously wasn't good!

So I pulled the boat out of the water to take a look. It turns out the hinge bolt for the piston on the transom was gone. When I looked at the bolt holding the other piston, the threads did not extend beyond the lock nut. On closer inspection, the bolt wasn't even long enough for the threads to enter the nylon in the lock nut! So the bolt must've vibrated right out.

I can't believe such an idiot mistake could happen on a Malibu. The worst part is that the black rubber insulation around the piston wiring that goes back into the transom was sliced down to the metal wire insulation. My dealer advised me to brush liquid electrical tape on the split, then wrap it up in electrical tape. That should get me through to the end of the season, so I don't have to trailer my boat 3.5hrs to the dealer (each way). He'll replace the piston at the end of the season, so it will hopefully end well.

It might've just been an isolated issue, but I would recommend you check those bolts the next time you have your boat out of the water. Should be at least two threads showing past the end of the nut...

Mike

Glad to hear there was no more damage done, I just had to go through the same thing but I actually had to make the 2 hour trip to the service dept. Only one weekend sacrificed Thumbup.gif

Mike

Sorry I did not see this earlier. I am at Lake Anna if you need a PW part to get you by, I have an extra complete unit and will always help a fellow BU owner...

Andy

• 5 years later...

I have 2008 vls 23 . I have on water last weekend for first this season. My battery is very low and my power wedge do not work at all , I swipe the battery for new ones still not working the gage too. let me know for any tips. thank you. wesley

Wesley,

There should be a resettable 15 amp fuse in the medallion box under the dash. Check to see if it has tripped.

Good luck.

BCB

Hi Bcb Tnks for your help. I know is the Medalion has just a 30 amp 12 volts fuse running the Power wedge. Is anything else could you explain me better . Malibu dealer is 4 weeks out for service in Seattle:(:(:(:(. Let me know.