Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changed Fins on your Landlock?

Ronnie

Has anyone changed your fins out on a Landlock. What did you replace them with? How did it ride? This board is still one of my favorites to just bang around on but it's impossible to break the backend loose to do spins and slides on it. I don't want it so slick other people can't ride it but I would like to play with it more.

Has anyone changed your fins out on a Landlock. What did you replace them with? How did it ride? This board is still one of my favorites to just bang around on but it's impossible to break the backend loose to do spins and slides on it. I don't want it so slick other people can't ride it but I would like to play with it more.

I have not but am fixin to. The rider at the Waterski America proshop recommended the aluminum 1.2 or 1.5 Hyperlite fins. They were out of stock when I was there a couple weeks ago so I didn't pickup any but that is a huge fin size change. She said that it makes the board a lot "tricky-er".

We surfed around last night on a landlock and it is CHEATING! I could not believe how little work it is for surfing on a landlock. I have been working and working to get a large enough wave just to ride on a Phase 5 (I'm fatter so it takes work). But with the landlock you could ride for hours and I heave never been able to pump that high and hard. GREAT BOARD!

Back to your point though, I couldn't kick the tail at all those skags are just WAY TOO DEEP! I would be very interested to ride a landlock with 1.25 fins, that would be awesome!

I took the short outside fins off my Broadcast and put them on the Landlock - made for a really loose but fun ride.

I had to put the originals back on though cuz we use it mainly as a beginner board now.

Put the short fins back on the Broadcast but took its center fin off - now its perfect.

But the answer would be a 2" fin for the Landlock - that should be just right.

Ronnie, I have thought about doing the same thing, if you make the change let us know how it worked out.

Ronnie,

I was curious to see what that board would ride like with just one fin installed. Which one do you think would be better to remove, the outside fin or the inside fin? We will try that out this weekend.

Inside fin if any but it gets real squirrely.

Tends to make it turn into the wave.

Remember one legged ducks swim in circles.

The 5'6" Landlock has a squared tail and does better with a pair

Brad,

OK. We may try to use the 2 outside fins off the Ride...Hopefully it will get faster so Rich can ride easier. With his size and weight, he is having a lot of trouble sinking the front. He needs something bigger/faster I think. Like that old surfboard you have. It would also help if we can get my boat to sink more. Need more VAB. By the way, thank you again for the rides Wed.

Edited by gooddog