Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo Calibration

Sorry, I have searched the topic, however most discuss pre-06. I checked my speedometer this weekend and found it to be 2 mph slower than actual. Can you adjust the digital speedo on an '06? It seems earlier models have the switches on the dash, but I do not. Can it be done or is it through the dealer?

Thanks

Yes. First of all, this should be done with no ballast & wedge up, & under calm conditions (no wind or chop on the water). Put the screen on the speed screen (not the speed control side, just the speed screen that you scroll to using the arrows). Using a gps, drive to the speed at which you want to calibrate it. When you hold steady at that speed, push the "E" button (you may have to hold it down). The speed display will flash, just adjust it up or down accordingly using the arrow buttons. I can't remember for sure, but I think that you hit the red button to store it (it's either that or the E button again).

• 5 weeks later...

I also have an 06 VLX. I was curious if you could use this to allow for slower cruise. I was told that the cruise will only go down to 10. when I'm wakesurfing that's a little too fast. What do you think?

Initially, our cruise wouldn't hold below 12mph & we tried just what you're thinking. We calibrated it so that it was reading faster than it was actually going, but it didn't work. I think that it was somehow tied in with rpms as far as the set point goes.

There should be a flash available for your boat that will allow the speed control to function down to 8mph, that should get you what you want. It's only available through your dealer, but it's a 15 minute job tops.

Initially, our cruise wouldn't hold below 12mph & we tried just what you're thinking. We calibrated it so that it was reading faster than it was actually going, but it didn't work. I think that it was somehow tied in with rpms as far as the set point goes.

There should be a flash available for your boat that will allow the speed control to function down to 8mph, that should get you what you want. It's only available through your dealer, but it's a 15 minute job tops.

Thanks WakeGirl...I actually was browsing around just a minute ago and found that on another post. I have some warranty work to get done anyways(dead line in readout, pitted chrome, glovebox doesn't lock unless I just dont know how to do it).

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Yes. First of all, this should be done with no ballast & wedge up, & under calm conditions (no wind or chop on the water). Put the screen on the speed screen (not the speed control side, just the speed screen that you scroll to using the arrows). Using a gps, drive to the speed at which you want to calibrate it. When you hold steady at that speed, push the "E" button (you may have to hold it down). The speed display will flash, just adjust it up or down accordingly using the arrow buttons. I can't remember for sure, but I think that you hit the red button to store it (it's either that or the E button again).

Thanks for this instruction - I need to do this - I am off about 1 MPH at 18 and 36.

Does this adjustment change the digital display and the regular dial speed indicator?

Too Dang funny...

I was riding behind some other boats this summer (lucky I still like the BU best) and I was thinking ours was off. Sunday we checked and sure enough, GPS says 2.1 over. Great timing for this info!

Thanks WakeGirl!