Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surfing behind a ski boat

ryan19

Hi! I've been wake surfing a few times at my buddies house and he has one of the new malibu wakeboard boats with ballasts and a wedge and its just big in general, and I wanted to get a wakesurf board to do it at our cabin. Only problem is is we have a small ski boat, a 1998 Sporster LX (No longer made, comparable to a Response) will this produce a big enough wake? Even if there are a lot of people in the boat? Also what kind of board would be good for a small wake? THANKS!

I've never personally surfed behind a Sporty, but I have surfed behind an 03 Response LS. It is possible, but very tough in comparison with a big boat. You will need to add as much weight as you are comfortable putting in your boat and then add a little more.

The bigger and more buoyant the Surf Board you get the easier it will be to surf a small wake.

Good luck

Joe

Don't know about the wake a Sporty makes but the best board I have been on for a smallish wake is the Inland Surfer Red Woody. I also have a Shred Stixx Ja Mako which is a very good board too but the Red Woody is better on a small wake. I can surf with just stock ballast and wedge and only the wife in the boat (she is about 115 lbs) and go ropeless with the Red Woody behind our VTX (wake hull).

We put almost 1500 #'s in my Sporty and I could go ropeless but just barely. A bigger board might have helped but even then it would have been fairly boring. The wake wasn't big enough for any lip tricks. If you have a wedge that would help but don't expect a V-Drive wake from it. It just ain't gonna happen. No.gif

2007 Response LXi: 4 teenagers sitting on the rear seat/side of boat, not able to surf without rope. Add Power Wedge, and viola, surprisingly nice wake! I can surf a long ways, with no additional weight added above driver and 4 passengers. 5'6" board. Wedge is amazing, even on DD, and people sit nearly at transom on DD, with much more effect than on V-drive 4' from transom.

Edited by SKI LVR