Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where is the water coming from?

Here we go...if it isn't one thing, it's another! Had the boat out and left it moored on a buoy at night for the weekend. This is a common practice....sometimes in the water for weeks. Anyway the bilge has pumped for at least 90 seconds each morning when I pop up the bow during warm up. I am new to inboards, I do expect there to be some dripping at the packing gland, but this seems excessive. I did not look at the shaft while in the water or running so I can't say if that is where it is. Any other places to look? Yes the plug is in :) Thanks

Dave

Here we go...if it isn't one thing, it's another! Had the boat out and left it moored on a buoy at night for the weekend. This is a common practice....sometimes in the water for weeks. Anyway the bilge has pumped for at least 90 seconds each morning when I pop up the bow during warm up. I am new to inboards, I do expect there to be some dripping at the packing gland, but this seems excessive. I did not look at the shaft while in the water or running so I can't say if that is where it is. Any other places to look? Yes the plug is in :) Thanks

Dave

Dave,

I have the same problem. I didnt notice it until this weekend when the boat was in the water for two days. I am interested in hearing replys

there are several factors to consider (besides a leak, of course). How much water was in the bilge BEFORE you left it there overnight. is it completely drained from wet skiers/boarders in and out of the boat? there should be water there from the packing (if you don't have dripless). Also, there will be condensation from the air in almost any on water environment. where i live, if i leave the boat uncovered overnight, when i wake in the morning it is completely soaked, and that water has to eventually go somewhere. When covered (i have the original bu cover), it still has tons of condensation inside.

Now for the bad things to check, check for minor leaks around any thru hulls, screws, bolts, etc. or worse case, if you have an HDS, check to see if that is leaking.

Easiest way to check it to put the boat on the trailer, fill it with water, and see if you can see water leaking back out.

there are several factors to consider (besides a leak, of course). How much water was in the bilge BEFORE you left it there overnight. is it completely drained from wet skiers/boarders in and out of the boat? there should be water there from the packing (if you don't have dripless). Also, there will be condensation from the air in almost any on water environment. where i live, if i leave the boat uncovered overnight, when i wake in the morning it is completely soaked, and that water has to eventually go somewhere. When covered (i have the original bu cover), it still has tons of condensation inside.

Now for the bad things to check, check for minor leaks around any thru hulls, screws, bolts, etc. or worse case, if you have an HDS, check to see if that is leaking.

Easiest way to check it to put the boat on the trailer, fill it with water, and see if you can see water leaking back out.

I didn't think v-drives had the HDS.

It sounds like the packing is leaking excessively. The packing should hardly drip at all with the shaft not moving and should drip about once every ten seconds with the shaft turning.

Also double check your plug, sometimes its just not tight enough.

Had this problem with our walk through compartment plug, it just needed an extra half turn or so.

Edited by stonelx

Bakes Marine and Discount Inboard Marine have the right wrench for the job if your Shaft Packing is leaking. Great tool to have on your boat and it looks great too.

check your plug. on mine the fitting that the plug goes in was leaking between it and the fiberglass. I added some silicone and it stopped. a few years later I found out that my plug itself was actually leaking. whether it got cross threaded or what I don't know, but I got some teflon tape and wrapped the plug with it and it hasn't leaked since.

Thanks guys, I will check the plug for sure....and great idea about filling the hull with water....who would of thought Thumbup.gif Bilge was empty at 8pm and pumped for 90 secs at 11:30 am. Also what is an HDS?

Dave

See you have an 07. Check out "Hose failure" post in Maintainance forum.

Seems like I was getting more water in bilge than usual before hose opened up.

May or may not have been hose. :unsure: Will know later this week.