Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 lsv kicker amplifier mystery

I have been experiencing an unusual problem with my kicker amplifier. The amplifier works great as long as the boat is tied to the dock and not moving. As soon as I place the boat in gear and begin to accelerate the amplifiier trips out and the red light comes on. After checking all the speaker connections, amplifier connections, wiring harnesses and cleaning the face plate connections I have determined the problem is not with the amplifier but possibly with the voltage regulator.

When the motor is not running the battery voltage is 12.7 volts. With the motor running at normal operating speeds the voltage ranges between 15 - 16.2 volts. The fault protection circuit on the amplifier shuts down the amp at 16 volts or greater. The voltage regulator should operate between 13.5 - 14.5 volts.

Any ideas on what I can check before I load this thing on the trailer and take it to the dealer for repairs? Are there any terminal strips, connections I can check? The boat has a battery transfer switch. Is it possible the switch could have a poor connection and sending a false signal to the regulator?

I read on this site that the alternators had 3 charge settings and when one goes bad the next one kicks in.

Thus this may be why your battery is not charging at 14.4 but is now charging 15-16 volts.

Also, Have you checked the battery for a cell that is going bad?

I would check with a battery bubble tool that verifys if a cell is bad. If a cell is gone the alternator will try to over charge to compensate for the poor cell and overcharge the battery.

Which makes me also ask the simple question : Have you verified the water levels in the battery as well. Add water only after you test the cells.

You probably already check but I thought I would ask for the benefit of being thourough.

If the alternator is overcharging that means the alternator needs replacing or rebuilding. Not many people rebuil alternators these days. So replacing and swaping the core is standard process nowadays.

Dave