Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Wake Help

BamaBuCrew

Can anyone advise me on how to pull a skier with a inboard (beside a new boat). i have always had IB/OB and heavier boats. last year my new (Bu fell thru) so i got my nieghbors 21' MC (and the wake seems really big for a comp ski boat. I start at about half throttle or a tad more i speed up just a tad. once i get to 34ish i let off to plane around 30mph. i skied yesterday at ~34 and the wake still looked way to big. A best guess i would say it was 1.5 feet with a 75' rope pulled from center of boat. i am 200, the driver is 200, his daughter is about 100 and had a little less than half a tank of gas. I am just beginning to ski again but it was rough crossing that wake. is it just the way it is or is there a different startegy driving the inboards?

Thanks for help

Is it a 209? If so I wouldn't say that it's a comp boat, but if you shorten the rope to 60' the wake will get better. It will still require some absorbing with your knees, but it will be a lot narrower. The shorter the rope the smaller the wake. If you have a rope with the take off loops, then just take off the first white section and set it aside.

Its a 1992 PS 205 - w/walkthrough. i will try the shorter rope. i was thinking maybe i'm not planed enough, just not sure if i need a faster hole shot or maybe something else. it has a pretty large rooster tail.

btw: what does say 30@15 off mean?

Water skiing @ 30+mph? That seems rather fast. I ski about 22mph. It sounds real odd that you don't plane out till 30mph. If this is an inboard you should have little bow rise. I agree a shorter rope would help but there's something else going on to make such a big wake and taking so long to plane out.

The wake shouldn't be that big at 30 or 34 MPH. The 205 should have a pretty good wake.

The speed of the hole shot shouldn't make a difference once you settle at your skiing speed. You sure there isn't any ballast left in the boat somewhere?

X off is the number of feet you take off a 75' rope & handle combination.

So 15 off = 60' back from the pylon.

so 30 @ 15 off is 30MPH, 60 Ft rope.

Guess we should ask if you're sure your speedo's are right too. Get/Borrow a GPS to make sure...

Also, depending on the prop, most DD ski boats run about 1MPH = 100RPM above 26MPH - so you should be running about 3K RPMs too.

That year for the 205 normally has a decent wake, and 30mph would be the minimum speed for your weight. Like others have said, it sounds like there is extra weight in the boat.

Water skiing @ 30+mph? That seems rather fast. I ski about 22mph...

:unsure: 28-32 mph is probably average for mid-level recreational skiers. High-end skis handle better at 34-36 mph.

I've skied lots behind a 205 and it is a very nice wake. My first guess is your speedo is way out. That boat should be plaining well under 20 mph. I'm 180 and I ski 15 off at 32. Very nice wake at that speed. If you can't find a GPS get a friend with a boat to cruise beside at 30 on his speedo and set yours to match his speed.

If you can't find a GPS get a friend with a boat to cruise beside at 30 on his speedo and set yours to match his speed.

:unsure: What if his is off too? :Doh:

Just a get a GPS. You can get an eTrex for less than $100. They're handy and fun to have around. :)

Ditto on the speedo calibration. Mine needs it when we switch lakes or there is a big change in weather. Plus when it is dialed in at wakeboarding speeds, it is not at slalom speeds. I have an e-trex vista ($150 ish at most stores) and really like it.

That boat from that year should be a great ski boat. Not sure on the 205, but the pre 1993 MC 190 was the cats meow of the slalom world.