Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tbi on 350 mecrusier flooding at idle

start out i got water in gas from bad gas station. changed fuel fitler and added sea foam to new gas and changed spark plugs. this wekend run for little bit then start to flood at idle and run rough then foul out the plugs, and i did pump out all bad gas the put in new, looks like the trottle body is dumping a lot of fuel at idle run above 1000 rpm and pull skier no problem just when u come to idle.any help please ????

start out i got water in gas from bad gas station. changed fuel fitler and added sea foam to new gas and changed spark plugs. this wekend run for little bit then start to flood at idle and run rough then foul out the plugs, and i did pump out all bad gas the put in new, looks like the trottle body is dumping a lot of fuel at idle run above 1000 rpm and pull skier no problem just when u come to idle.any help please ????
If you got a lot of water you might need to change the water fuel seperator filter a few times. Fuel injected check the IAC. Carby check your choke. Are you sure you reconnected the plug wires correctly.

i'l check on the iac tonight and check the water temp unit too , yes iam fairly good with motors i did put the plug wires on right, going to clean the trottle body too. were did you get the motor for the iac local parts store or online.

i'l check on the iac tonight and check the water temp unit too , yes iam fairly good with motors i did put the plug wires on right, going to clean the trottle body too. were did you get the motor for the iac local parts store or online.
My Echelon is a carby, but a few MC's on my lake were having similar symptoms as you described. It was onlly when the motor was warmed up.

Sounded like my carby when the electric choke wire was disconnected, so the choke was never open. The boat ran rich and when hot very hard to idle,and hard to start. After looking at their IAC's looked like same symptom, so sprayed some carb cleaner in and it unstuck the butterfly to allow air to get in. Their whole problem was a stuck IAC in the closed mode, so it was running rich and flooding, The ECM was having a heck of a time trying to compensate. Once the butterfly was moving again it was good to go. No parts needed. If you were to replace I'd check MarinePartsExpress. Here is the linkMarinePartsExpress

Check to make sure it is not just gummed up. The guys at Marine parts express are great. They can help with any Mercruiser. They also have great schematics on all the Mercruiser engines made. Take a look at their website. I just did. $73 for IAC motor ,also might want to check injector kit, TPS sensor and regulator kit. Something is telling it to dump gas (rich) Thinks it's cold when not, something is stuck closed(air) or open(fuel). I have never worked on one of these, but the schematic for your engine shows possible problem spots with the throttle body. Edited by Surfin247

ok took the iac off and gumed up pretty bad and cleaned it and passage and the tbi. check the water temp but i have two of them does the motor need to be running to check them . and which one is the one for the pcm and not the gauge. is there a way to check the iac and see if it is good before ording one.

ok took the iac off and gumed up pretty bad and cleaned it and passage and the tbi. check the water temp but i have two of them does the motor need to be running to check them . and which one is the one for the pcm and not the gauge. is there a way to check the iac and see if it is good before ording one.
Air filter off, engine cold, butterfly should be fully closed (no air into throttle body) ,start engine, you should see the butterfly open letting more air into the throttle body. After completely warmed up turn off engine for 5 mins or so and see if butterfly is closed. It should not have closed because the engine is still warmed up. To know which water temp is which go to the schematic for your Mercruiser engine at MarinePartsExpress.com and look for your engine and look under the schematic for throttle body. I think its the TPS sensor,but they'll know for sure at MPE. on my two boats the water temp for the gage is on the engine block. Edited by Surfin247