Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Monsoon Stalling and sometimes not starting

I have been on a lake for a couple of weeks and have used jerry cans to fill up the boat as there is no stations on the lake. The boat has worked well as long as I have had it (last 2 1/2 years). After the boat ran out of it's initial fill of gas I added the jerry cans and after about a half of a tank the boat stalled while towing a skier and would not start again!! I thought there may have been some water in the fuel or had some bad gas and changed the inline gas filter and it ran fine for awhile (on the same tank of fuel) but then the same problem just died while towing a skier again but this time I could start it again but it would run rough and I idled back to the dock. A few skis later it happened again and I could not start it at all. I went to a local marine shop and installed a water separating fuel filter where the inline filter was thinking there was alot of water in the jerry cans or something and the little inline filters were getting clogged up. The motor ran fine till the tank was almost empty and then stalled again at speed but not completly cutting out. Then added some more fuel thinking it was out of gas and was able to ski for a while but then the motor stalled again but did not die so I idled back to the dock. Is the something else that I should check (spark plugs, sensors...)??

Sounds like you have a tank of bad gas, I would drain it and get some nice fresh stuff in there.

Change the fuel filter again, it is probably clogged. I would cut it in half and inspect.

Also loose the water separating fuel filter, they create an air pocket that is really bad for the fuel pump and can create a running condition

-Chris

Sounds like you have a tank of bad gas, I would drain it and get some nice fresh stuff in there.

Change the fuel filter again, it is probably clogged. I would cut it in half and inspect.

Also loose the water separating fuel filter, they create an air pocket that is really bad for the fuel pump and can create a running condition

-Chris

The tank has been consumed fully and I put in 91 for a change and still the problem is present. I have had a water separating fuel filter on my last two Malibu's without any problem (but I did not have the monsoon motor would that make a difference?). When I replaced the filter with a water separating one I turned the key to the on position for a couple of minutes to wait for it to fill up with fuel.

I am guessing your last two Malibu's had the 310 carb motor in them, and they have water seperating filters on them.

The monsoon should NOT have a water seperating fuel filter because they create an air pocket at the top of the filter and the high pressure fuel pump pulls air instead of fuel, which is a bad thing.

I would start with the basics in terms of the bogging. It sounds like you may not have proper fuel delivery, I would try chaning the filter (again) or possibly running the boat off a remote gas can to isolate the problem. If it runs bad on the remote can you can rule out the fuel/fuel tank. I would also change your cap and rotor, and inspect/replace your spark plugs.

If you have access to a fuel pressure gague I would see what that reveals while running.

Is the fuel pump making any funny noises?

-Chris

I am guessing your last two Malibu's had the 310 carb motor in them, and they have water seperating filters on them.

The monsoon should NOT have a water seperating fuel filter because they create an air pocket at the top of the filter and the high pressure fuel pump pulls air instead of fuel, which is a bad thing.

I would start with the basics in terms of the bogging. It sounds like you may not have proper fuel delivery, I would try chaning the filter (again) or possibly running the boat off a remote gas can to isolate the problem. If it runs bad on the remote can you can rule out the fuel/fuel tank. I would also change your cap and rotor, and inspect/replace your spark plugs.

If you have access to a fuel pressure gague I would see what that reveals while running.

Is the fuel pump making any funny noises?

-Chris

I forgot about the boat miss firing a few weeks ago as well which may have been a sign of the problems that I experienced at the lake thinking it was bad gas!! I will change out the fuel filter and go back to stock thanks for that. Also, I will flip out the plugs and cap/rotor as it has not had a tune up yet but only has 185 hours on it and there are platnum plugs in it. Thanks for your help. The fuel pump is not making any sounds. Just the miss firing. Do you think not doing a tune up would have have caused the miss fires?

Drain some fuel into a glass jar, safety is top priority here. look for sediment and/or water floating around. Water at the bottom. If it is clear and clean, it may not be the fuel.

Some one else will have to answer this, but sometimes that is a screen on the pickup in the fuel tank. If that is the case, that may be the cause. You coulds try to siphon some gas out through the filler neck and check for sediment. Again, safety first.

If sediment did get into the fuel system and got to the fuel delivery system. Carb or injectors may need to be cleaned out. I didn't look at the year of you boat.

Of course, it may not be fuel at all, there could be a heat related electrical issue showing up.

Have you checked for a second fuel filter that is inline? I have heard others say that they had two, but I don't know if that is factory on your boat.

Just some thoughts to consider.

I see now that yours is an '03. So it should be EFI. You have fuel pressure to consider from the electric fuel pump.

Have any error codes been shown on the dash?

Edited by Sunsetter95

I am having the same exact problem on my boat, i changed the rear fuel filter, and put all new plugs in still to no avail. My boat has a carb. on the engine and not efi.(2000 sunsetter lxi) if that helps.

I am having the same exact problem on my boat, i changed the rear fuel filter, and put all new plugs in still to no avail. My boat has a carb. on the engine and not efi.(2000 sunsetter lxi) if that helps.

Check the distributor cap and rotor as I just did a tune up (cap, rotor, and plugs) on the weekend and all the problems are fixed. The cap was really corroded!!