Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

v-drive oil change

The manual says to do changes:

1. Engine oil and filter --- check

2. Tranny oil --- check

3. V-drive oil -- can someone point to where that might be on a 06 Vride ?

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Smed,

I just changed the V-drive and Tranny oil on my 2008 Vride last week. The V-drive dipstick is the easy one to see. It's right under the middle rear seat bench (you know the seat that people had problems with a couple years ago popping up on them). The Tranny oil dipstick is the more hidden one. It's further up behind. When kneeling on the rear seat bench and looking back towards the rear of the boat, the tranny oil dipstick is on the left side of the tranny (which is connected right behind the vdrive unit) and tucked up behind the back of the rear seat. You access it from the engine cavity.

I'm surprised that you are able to find the tranny dipstick, but not the V-drive dipstick. Are you sure you haven't confused these two items. The V-drive dipstick is very conspicious when you pop up the rear middle bench seat.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want to talk on the phone. Thanks for the help on the ballast configuration for my boat.

-Cory

2. Tranny oil --- check

Thanks!

Matt

One other thing, I just used the oil boy to suck the V-drive and Tranny oil out of their respective dipstick holes. Then refilled through these holes using a funnel. It was very easy. The V-drive took about 1 liter of oil and the Tranny took about 1 and 3/4 liters.

2. Tranny oil --- check

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

You might have a Ski Vee unit which is the trans. and V-drive in one.

Pete -- I think you are right -- it is probably the ski-vee....

There are two salmon-pink-reddish twistable dipsticks -- one is on the low side of the tranny right when you pop the seat. The other one is on the backside of the tranny and higher up. Both have stickers that say ATF ONLY next to them.

Can't find any other dipsticks except the engine oil one....

Or the one behind the wheel.

Just kidding.

You should have lots of paperwork that came with the new boat and one of them should be about the Ski Vee unit. Take a look at them. Otherwise, Tracie is the only person on here that I know for sure has a Ski Vee and maybe she could chime in and verify the dipsticks.

Edited by Pistol Pete

The two tranny fluid dipsticks are the ones you need to change. One closer to the bow is the V-drive, and the one further back is the tranny.

-Chris

Or the one behind the wheel.

Just kidding.

You should have lots of paperwork that came with the new boat and one of them should be about the Ski Vee unit. Take a look at them. Otherwise, Tracie is the only person on here that I know for sure has a Ski Vee and maybe she could chime in and verify the dipsticks.

Ha ha! Good one! I'll check the manual. :)

The two tranny fluid dipsticks are the ones you need to change. One closer to the bow is the V-drive, and the one further back is the tranny.

-Chris

Chris - I'll change them both then -

Thanks for the help guys!

• 1 month later...

Guys I have a 2007 vRide (320 LCR motor.)

And i have a similar setup. Lift the rear middle seat, and a red twistable dipstick is looking right at you.

About 6 inches back and a little higher up, there is another identical one.

Sucked the fluid from both. Both were Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

Also didn't see anywhere to put in any regular oil. I think the vRides run this Ski-Vee setup.

• 1 year later...

Guys I have a 2007 vRide (320 LCR motor.)

And i have a similar setup. Lift the rear middle seat, and a red twistable dipstick is looking right at you.

About 6 inches back and a little higher up, there is another identical one.

Sucked the fluid from both. Both were Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

Also didn't see anywhere to put in any regular oil. I think the vRides run this Ski-Vee setup.

Do you check the levels with the dipstick turned into the threads or not turned into the threads?