Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure Gage pegged

When I turn the key on my oil pressure gage pegs all the way over. I replaced the oil sending unit with a new one, same problem. I'm told possible gage is bad or wiring problem. All other gages work fine. Is there a way to get a wiring diagram and or check the gage before I just go and buy a new one. My sending unit has only one blue wire attached to it, isn't there some kind of voltage check I can make to find the root cause. Thanks.

It is most likely the guage, but I'd make sure you don't have an engine mechanical problem before you run it too much. Find a friend with one or buy a cheap mechanical guage from your local auto store....the one with the clear tubing that actually reads oil pressure and doesn't rely on electronics. I had a pegged oil pressure guage in my tow vehicle once....was installing a new motor about 2 weeks later.

When I turn the key on my oil pressure gage pegs all the way over. I replaced the oil sending unit with a new one, same problem. I'm told possible gage is bad or wiring problem. All other gages work fine. Is there a way to get a wiring diagram and or check the gage before I just go and buy a new one. My sending unit has only one blue wire attached to it, isn't there some kind of voltage check I can make to find the root cause. Thanks.

Take the blue wire off the sender. Make sure it is not touching anything and turn the key on. If it still pegs the needle you probably have a shorted wire. That bluewire is shorted to ground some where between the engine and the gauge.