Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for VLX Hammerhead

05malibuvlx

I know there are tons of topics on this but its tough to find some with the hammerhead. I saw wakegirl tried the 475 and took it back off of her boat. I am not sure which prop is on my hammerhead right now, i just know its a 17.5" made by ACME. All we do is wakeboard and i want a prop that will get out of the hole without even having to give it much throttle with a bunch of weight in the boat, and to hold a steady speed and maintain through turns well. I have spoke with Eric at OJ Props and he said that he thinks the 475 is too much prop for me and i need to go smaller. He has not gotten back to me yet and i was just wondering if anyone out there has tried some smaller OJ props on the hammerhead and what they thought of them.

Thanks.

I know there are tons of topics on this but its tough to find some with the hammerhead. I saw wakegirl tried the 475 and took it back off of her boat. I am not sure which prop is on my hammerhead right now, i just know its a 17.5" made by ACME. All we do is wakeboard and i want a prop that will get out of the hole without even having to give it much throttle with a bunch of weight in the boat, and to hold a steady speed and maintain through turns well. I have spoke with Eric at OJ Props and he said that he thinks the 475 is too much prop for me and i need to go smaller. He has not gotten back to me yet and i was just wondering if anyone out there has tried some smaller OJ props on the hammerhead and what they thought of them.

Thanks.

Erics right and he has a prop that has been tested just for the VLX with the hammer head. I forgot the number of the top of my head but will look it up. Give Eric a call back and the 1235 is not the one you want for a Hammer head, still to big.

IIRC WG is running the OJ 468.

IIRC WG was running the OJ 475 (now on woodys 05 VLX with the monsoon) and it did great down at sea level but when up at higher elevations it didn't make a huge change over the ACME 537. I'm sure she will fill us all in.

You're all a bunch of prop who%$res....lol I can't keep up.

I've had 3 diff't props on my boat in the last 2 weeks!

In one summer I had 6 different props on my boat.

IIRC WG is running the OJ 468.

IIRC WG was running the OJ 475 (now on woodys 05 VLX with the monsoon) and it did great down at sea level but when up at higher elevations it didn't make a huge change over the ACME 537. I'm sure she will fill us all in.

Yup, I loved the 475 at sea level, it was a darn near perfect match for the VLX/HH combo. But up high (where I live & do 90% of my boating) the gains were equalized & I felt that the 537 was as good at what I need. I couldn't justify the expense at that point, so I took it off & sold it to woody.

To the OP,

If you're consistently boating at under 1k feet of elevation, go with the 475. It sounds like you've got an Acme 381 on right now & if that's the case, you'll positively love the 475. :)

Also having the hammerhead prop question, thanks for any helpful information.

The people that ride want a lot of weight in the boat and I can't get it out of the hole fast enough with the stock 17.5 prop.

Also having the hammerhead prop question, thanks for any helpful information.

The people that ride want a lot of weight in the boat and I can't get it out of the hole fast enough with the stock 17.5 prop.

That's the Acme 381 (or maybe even 817, which would be worse). You need to get either an Acme 537, 1235 or OJ 475. IMO at under 1k' of altitude, the OJ 475 is the cat's meow for the VLX w/HH. Above that, the Acme 537 will work great. Any of those will blow your stock prop out of the water (pun intended).

OJ 475 for sure @ lower altitudes. It definitely comes out of the hole better than the ACME 537 and you don't lose any top end either.

I have been speaking with Eric at OJ this last week and he thinks that i will love the 14.25 X 14 LC 1 1/8" XMP EDGE 4-blade. Does anyone have any experience with this prop?

He is out for this next week though and didn't tell me which cup size i should use.. Any ideas? .90 Cup is what i was thinking??

Edited by 05malibuvlx
I have been speaking with Eric at OJ this last week and he thinks that i will love the 14.25 X 14 LC 1 1/8" XMP EDGE 4-blade. Does anyone have any experience with this prop?

He is out for this next week though and didn't tell me which cup size i should use.. Any ideas? .90 Cup is what i was thinking??

It's either a 468 or 466, depending on the cup. The 468 is what we usually see paired with a Monsoon (it's a good match for the Monsoon IMO), & honestly I don't think that you need to go that low. The 475 was a good match under all conditions (except altitude) for the Hammerhead. I'd be curious to hear what Eric's reasoning for recommending that prop would be, & why he thinks that the 475 is too much for the boat.

Greg,

Wasn't there another prop that we tried that weekend that we tried the 475 at Villa Lagos? The one that I really didn't like? What was that?

It was the 468, but as you mentioned it's not the greatest prop with the HH at sea level. I know Nvboarder Tim who live's in Reno NV loves that prop on his VLX with the monsoon.

If your going to be running a ton of weight and not hitting WOT or over 35mph, then the 468 is a better choice.

I'm going to try a 468 after this weekend we tried full ballast, wedge bumped up two positions, two pop bags upfront and two 440's it took forever to get up on plane. The wake was huge but holy shmoly it sucked the gas down....lol

Well i ordered the 468 to try it out. Eric told me I can send it back if its not just what I want. I am gonna try it out, but with reading all the mixed feelings all over I might ask him if i can try a 475 as well to get a direct comparison.

It's either a 468 or 466, depending on the cup. The 468 is what we usually see paired with a Monsoon (it's a good match for the Monsoon IMO), & honestly I don't think that you need to go that low. The 475 was a good match under all conditions (except altitude) for the Hammerhead. I'd be curious to hear what Eric's reasoning for recommending that prop would be, & why he thinks that the 475 is too much for the boat.

WG - Here is what Eric told me why he thought i should try the 468.

"I have done a few props for the Hammerhead motor but they have been smaller diameter, down to 14", due to the 1.22:1 gear ratio of the transmission."

I was telling him that I was thinking 475 but he said most he does for the hammerhead were smaller.

I will try it out and post how i like it.