Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alright I'm Stumped !!!

Let me preface by saying this is my fourth Bu and second V-Drive. First V-drive being an LS-One.

How in the Lord's name do you get the impeller out. I know how the impeller comes out but how do you get it out ? Special tools ? Special tricks ? I don't seem to be able to get enough leverage in the confined space working blindly behind and under the muffler.

My LS-One V-drive was not this difficult.

Let me preface by saying this is my fourth Bu and second V-Drive. First V-drive being an LS-One.

How in the Lord's name do you get the impeller out. I know how the impeller comes out but how do you get it out ? Special tools ? Special tricks ? I don't seem to be able to get enough leverage in the confined space working blindly behind and under the muffler.

1. Drink one beer

2. remove the ignition kill switch key (safety First) Thumbup.gif

3. Pull impeller cover off

4. squirt WD-40 or dish soap in pump housing

5. Crank over or bump the motor a couple of times to let the impeller slide out of the housing a little

6. Drink second beer

7. Lay on top of intake cover and use two needle nose pliers to grip the impeller at the 3 and 9 o'clock position

8. Pull impeller out

9. Drink another beer!

Edited by woody

1. Drink one beer

5. Crank over or bump the motor a couple of times to let the impeller slide out of the housing a little

6. Drink second beer

7. Lay on top of intake cover and use two neddle nose pliers to grip the impeller at the 3 and 9 o'clock position

8. Pull impeller out

9. Drink another beer!

This is a good one Thumbup.gif Might be easier to take it to the dealer, may cost less :)

1. Drink one beer

6. Drink second beer

7. Lay on top of intake cover and use two neddle nose pliers to grip the impeller at the 3 and 9 o'clock position

8. Pull impeller out

9. Drink another beer!

Maybe that's what he's doing wrong. He keeps using needle nose pliers. Tease2.gif

Mark, go to the hardware store and buy a couple neddle nose pliers. LMAO Thumbup.gif

1. Drink one beer

6. Drink second beer

8. Pull impeller out

9. Drink another beer!

Maybe that's what he's doing wrong. He keeps using needle nose pliers. Tease2.gif

Mark, go to the hardware store and buy a couple neddle nose pliers. LMAO Thumbup.gif

Once again, my brain is so fast processing material, my fingers can't keep up

Edited by woody

1. Drink one beer

6. Drink second beer

8. Pull impeller out

9. Drink another beer!

Once again, my brian is so fast processing material, my fingers can't keep up

Whistling.gif I live in a glass house. I feel like I just hung a target on my back.

1. Drink one beer

6. Drink second beer

8. Pull impeller out

9. Drink another beer!

Once again, my brian is so fast processing material, my fingers can't keep up

Whistling.gif I live in a glass house. I feel like I just hung a target on my back.

Just seeing if you would catch it Tease2.gif

IMO its easier to remove the pump from the boat. I tried to replace the impeller with the pump still in the boat. It wasn't that hard getting the impeller out, but trying to put the impeller back in with out the key way falling out was next to impossible. It was faster to take the pump out and do it that way.

I probably need shorter needle nose to. I was using my industrial strength pair that are quite long.

but trying to put the impeller back in with out the key way falling out was next to impossible.

Not sure what key way you're talking about.

Mark,

What I do is shoot some boot lube into the impeller area, then crank the engine over a couple times with the lanyard out. Remove both engine side cover panels, straddle the motor facing the transom, and take two small flat head screw drivers and pry from opposite sides of the impeller at the same time. The key is, you have to move the impeller out without kinking it to one side. When you're installing the new one, take a Q-tip and put a bunch of Anti-sieze inside the splined hole of the impeller. Lube up all the outer fins of the impeller with boot lube and twist it as you force it into it's home. Crank engine a few times and give the impeller a final whack into it's "home" position. Install new gasket and then drink 3 beers.

but trying to put the impeller back in with out the key way falling out was next to impossible.

Not sure what key way you're talking about.

Mark,

What I do is shoot some boot lube into the impeller area, then crank the engine over a couple times with the lanyard out. Remove both engine side cover panels, straddle the motor facing the transom, and take two small flat head screw drivers and pry from opposite sides of the impeller at the same time. The key is, you have to move the impeller out without kinking it to one side. When you're installing the new one, take a Q-tip and put a bunch of Anti-sieze inside the splined hole of the impeller. Lube up all the outer fins of the impeller with boot lube and twist it as you force it into it's home. Crank engine a few times and give the impeller a final whack into it's "home" position. Install new gasket and then drink 3 beers.

What is the anti-sieze for? I have never had any issues with the impeller and splined shaft. I've only used it on nuts and bolts.

The old impeller looked to be in excellent shape ( using a mirror) so I put everything back together for the time being. Thanks for all the ideas. The puller looks interesting. Also there are two side panels on each side the main large one and then a small one aft that is screwed into place. The screw is so tight that the phillips "x" is stripping. I'm going to have to use an easy out to remove it.

Sounds like it's time for a new boat big guy.

My next boat will have sails and be permanently moored in warm saltwater.

I've always used a pair of small/medium length flat screwdrivers and pulled tons of them out no with no problem. Laying on the plenum is pretty key.

-Chris