Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for a Sunsetter Lxi

LouDoc

Recently, Galaxy Toad was talking about prop changes having an impact on wake properties. The current setup on my buddy's Sunsetter Lxi sports a fairly substantial bump at 22 off. 28 off isn't a problem except that we aren't skiing that in the course. Anyone have recommendations to give the best wake at 22 off @ 34 mph?

Recently, Galaxy Toad was talking about prop changes having an impact on wake properties. The current setup on my buddy's Sunsetter Lxi sports a fairly substantial bump at 22 off. 28 off isn't a problem except that we aren't skiing that in the course. Anyone have recommendations to give the best wake at 22 off @ 34 mph?

Been there, done that on my 2001 SLXi. OJ XMP is a great way to go. How heavily is the boat loaded when you're skiing, both crew and fuel?

I've been very happy with the OJ 13x11.5 XMP (IIRC #330) prop I put on last year.

There is still a bump but don't know how it compares to yours. Let me know if you get up the Cincy way & I'll let you test it out (outside the course). Or we could meet at Lake Williamstown one morning - always looking for a reason to go skiing. There was a course there last year, but it's not always maintained.

Been there, done that on my 2001 SLXi. OJ XMP is a great way to go. How heavily is the boat loaded when you're skiing, both crew and fuel?

+1 .... I picked up an OJ based on Edwin's sage advice....Great prop for the SLXi.

+2, I also have the OJ XMP 330 (13*11.5). It may have softened it a little, but I don't have any problem with the wake @ 22 off. The most important things are keeping excess weight out of the boat, and keeping your ski on edge through the wakes. I ski behind numerous slalom specific boats on a regular basis and my SLXI wake is only a little bit bigger then the others.

+1 .... I picked up an OJ based on Edwin's sage advice....Great prop for the SLXi.

I've skied behind a few SLXi's and Kevin's has the best wake of them and his is the only one with a CNC'd OJ. Thumbup.gif And I skied it at 22' off 34 mph.

Hey Kieth,

Acme makes a cleaver shape CNC and OJ uses an elephant ear shape. I like the cleaver shape for all around performance. For the SLXi, being a little bigger than the RLXi, I'd start with the 515. 449 as a 2nd choice. I believe the largest contributor to the soft holeshot and abrupt bump is the SS material. My 1st Malibu had a SS CVP that I swapped out for a CNC NiBrAl Acme. Besides being a LOT smoother and quieter, the wake flattened out (got wider), was substantially softer, and when I changed the pitch the little bump that remained moved back. Almost completely between 2 rope lengths (15 and 22-off).

If it was my boat I'd go swap to the Acme 515 and throw the SS in a bag as the spare.

Great minds think alike... :)

The OJ made the bump all but disappear at 30+mph. XMP 13X11.5

Super smooth too. Huge upgrade from the SS that came stock with my boat. Take Edwin's advice. He did a lot of work with his SLXi testing both OJ and Acme in various pitches.

Hey Kieth,

Acme makes a cleaver shape CNC and OJ uses an elephant ear shape. I like the cleaver shape for all around performance. For the SLXi, being a little bigger than the RLXi, I'd start with the 515. 449 as a 2nd choice. I believe the largest contributor to the soft holeshot and abrupt bump is the SS material. My 1st Malibu had a SS CVP that I swapped out for a CNC NiBrAl Acme. Besides being a LOT smoother and quieter, the wake flattened out (got wider), was substantially softer, and when I changed the pitch the little bump that remained moved back. Almost completely between 2 rope lengths (15 and 22-off).

If it was my boat I'd go swap to the Acme 515 and throw the SS in a bag as the spare.

Great minds think alike... :)

And how long did it take before you did that. What made you change? Whistling.gif

Super smooth too. Huge upgrade from the SS that came stock with my boat. Take Edwin's advice. He did a lot of work with his SLXi testing both OJ and Acme in various pitches.

Sounds to me like a win win proposition as long as it's NiBrAl and CNC. Pick a shape, drop the pitch a little and enjoy.

It's a win win for sure with the OJ XMP and SLXi combo. The 13x11.5 is a great fit for that boat. I had 3 diff't ACME's and two OJ XMP's on mine and it responded better to the OJ prop. My RLXi sure seems to like the OJ as well :)

Sounds to me like a win win proposition as long as it's NiBrAl and CNC. Pick a shape, drop the pitch a little and enjoy.

It's a win win for sure with the OJ XMP and SLXi combo. The 13x11.5 is a great fit for that boat. I had 3 diff't ACME's and two OJ XMP's on mine and it responded better to the OJ prop. My RLXi sure seems to like the OJ as well :)

Just to confirm, what are the suggestions for a SSLxi with LS1, with a 70/30 ski/wakeboard profile? It seems the extra ponies of the ls1 would do well with the 13x12 or whould the 13x11.5 still be the choice?

thanks

I've neve been in a LS1 powered SLXi. The LS1 spins lots of rpms compared to the Monsoon, and I've been told that it's softer out of the hole than the Monsoon but comes on real strong in the midrange. If I had to choose, I'd probably go 13x11.5. Worth a call to OJ to get their take 800.359.9730.