Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering in reverse

premier

Just picked up my 05 VLX on the weekend and headed straight up the river. My previous boat was an outboard which pulled the boat in the direction the prop was facing allowing ease of steering in reverse. The VLX seems to lack any sense of steering in reverse and basically pulled to the right when in reverse no matter which way the rudder was facing. Can someone please confirm if that is normal.

Congrats on the new boat. The lack of steering in reverse is absolutely normal. That's the only curse of the inboard. Enjoy, you'll get used to it.

I had to laugh when I saw your topic, because I don't know of any inboard ski boat that "steers" in reverse, all they really do is go in reverse.

But there are a few tricks, run a search and you will find it is covered in depth.

-Chris

Cheers

I've always been in fairly open areas when in an inboard and have never taken notice of moving in reverse as you would just move out far enough before spinning the boat around in forward. On the weekend I tried to get into a few tight spots that we have used previously with the outboard and the wind was just taking the boat towards the trees. I practiced for a while just to get the hang of what was going on and then came to the conclusin that you just have to be committed to getting the boat in the correct position first time.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Hey Dave,

It does take some getting used to, but you'll soon figure out the pulls to the right thing to your advantage. Once you learn how to work with it, it becomes natural.

For example, when picking people up at a dock, you can drive slowly towards the dock pointed left, then as you approach, kick it into reverse and swing around and pick folks up from the rear or the side.

Or when wakesurfing with the boat weighted on the starboard side... when the rider falls, ease off the throttle, let the waves mostly pass while you kick it slowly into reverse and the boat will swing right around and point at the rider. Ease over and pick him/her up. (plus saves gas instead of doing a power turn)

Congrats on the new ride!

I went through the same thing this year, going from an I/O to a RLXI.

The main trick here is patience. I can now almost turn the boat in it's place be slowly toggling between going forward and reverse, of course turning left is easier, as the natural turn in reverse is that the aft of the boat goes right , but with the steering all the way to one side, it can be done. Again practice and patience, I saw a friend do it once, and from then on it was practice.

Happy boating.

BB

Dave,

What your experiencing is totaly normal for an inboard motor. The boat will pull one direction or the other in reverse depending on the rotational direction of your propeller. IE: Some boats are set up with right hand rotation and others with left. You can use the natural tendancy of your boat to pull to the right in reverse to your advantage when manuvering and docking. If you put the steering wheel hard over to the right while in reverse the boat will actually turn harder to the right. Once you get the boat turning to the right in reverse, bumping the boat in to forward and turning the wheel hard over to the left will keep the boat in place while continuing to spin the boat. By repeating the reverse turn right, forward turn left in short sucession will make the boat spin in a circle while staying in one place. The only way to get the boat to turn left while in reverse is to have a tiny bit of speed (a mile or so an hour) in reverse and then put the steering hard over to the left. It will not turn as hard as it does to the right, and is not really effective while docking, but it can be done with some practice.

While it is minor turning the rutter left or right does yield some rear directional movement.

It's also best to not be in any forward motion when putting it reverse, if you start off from a dead stop you'll have to best chance to go in the direction you want. Still fun to try and master, I usually always pull up to the docks on my side. It makes it much easier :)

Congrats on the boat. Steering around the docks with in inboard is easy. I almost wiped the dock out driving my buddies I/O. Time and patience...

I have never had an outboard or I/o so I wouldn't know what to do if you could steer in reverse! haha...basically as everyone said it just takes practice... don't try to steer it in reverse because it doesn't work...you have to just play a finess game with it.

on a side note, I drove an epic not too long ago (we are thinkin of being a dealer) and that boat does turn in reverse! I think its got something to do with the "vector" steering (basically it has two rudders...)

While it is minor turning the rutter left or right does yield some rear directional movement.

It's also best to not be in any forward motion when putting it reverse, if you start off from a dead stop you'll have to best chance to go in the direction you want. Still fun to try and master, I usually always pull up to the docks on my side. It makes it much easier :)

Yes that is for backing up not forward.. :) I've watch your docking.... Whistling.gif

Yes that is for backing up not forward.. :) I've watch your docking.... Whistling.gif

I knew you were going to say that, I do better without a crowd. I did look like a wally that day pulling in :) but I'm not going to blame it on the wind that was blowing :)

Edited by 68Slalom
You can also walk the boat sideways, practice that because it can also come in handy depending on the situation.

You can also rotate in a 360 without any forward or aft movement.

If your patient, you can back the boat up straight line as well.....

I did look like a wally that day pulling in :)

ROFL.gif

If you had an 18 yr old that had more driving time behind the wheel than you, it would be clear why my skills lack a bit. He is the one that pulls it on the trailer and pulls to the dock most of the time, I get stuck driving the truck with the trailer cause he is afraid. When I'm focused I do just fine, but when my crew is making racket and changing the music and volume it does get to be a distraction. I don't care, I try and not get bothered when I'm on the water Thumbup.gif

You can also walk the boat sideways, practice that because it can also come in handy depending on the situation.

It's really easy with in I/O :) it's just more subtle with DD/VD.

You can also rotate in a 360 without any forward or aft movement.

If your patient, you can back the boat up straight line as well.....

I think that being patient is the key to all of it.

ROFL.gif

If you had an 18 yr old that had more driving time behind the wheel than you, it would be clear why my skills lack a bit. He is the one that pulls it on the trailer and pulls to the dock most of the time, I get stuck driving the truck with the trailer cause he is afraid. When I'm focused I do just fine, but when my crew is making racket and changing the music and volume it does get to be a distraction. I don't care, I try and not get bothered when I'm on the water Thumbup.gif

Exactly.

ROFL.gif

How do ever expect to move up to a Vdrive... Tease.gif

And just when you think you've got the reverse sussed with skills to go straight or against prop torque, the slightest of wind makes it completely impossible to steer !!! Especially if high freeboard hull or have bimini, racks etc. Forward planning is the key.

How do ever expect to move up to a Vdrive... Tease.gif

My how the tables have turned. :lol:

That's for sure! I'm not completely sold yet on a V Drive yet, although I love the seating arrangement I can still get the transom of our boat up out of the water for a decent ski wake. I just bought a bow fat sack that I have to plumb in, I'm going to use it as a little more weight up front (which should help lift the back just a little more for skiing and addition to the center ballast the front should stay down more, I need to play with the set up first to find out what really happens) and I think our boarding wake will be pretty good for a few more years. Then I'll switch back to a real DD "response" Thumbup.gif and then my wake boarding days will be over Whistling.gif