Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunscape 20 LSV

Sporty

Ther is an article in the back of new Waterski Magazine about how Vdrives are becoming much better for slalom skiiers. Not that they are better than the direct drives but for the weekend warriors wanting to ski but also a great boat to take friends out for cruises. Is the Sunscape 20 LSV basically the same as the VTX with the diamond hull?

Ther is an article in the back of new Waterski Magazine about how Vdrives are becoming much better for slalom skiiers. Not that they are better than the direct drives but for the weekend warriors wanting to ski but also a great boat to take friends out for cruises. Is the Sunscape 20 LSV basically the same as the VTX with the diamond hull?

Yes...but if you want to wakeboard/surf etc I'd get the VTX on the cut diamond hull that way you can get the onboard ballast. The LSV that's not an option.

Would the Sunscape also be more expensive? If so, that would not make since to purchase the sunscape. the VTX would have everything you need.

The LSV is cheaper than the VTX. If you simply want to ski but have the vdrive configuration the LSV is great, but if you want the ballast to wakeboard/surf then the VTX on the diamond hull is the best of both worlds.

I went with a 08 VTX and was originally going to get the LSV 20. The boat does it all. If you think you are going to wake board or surf even a little bit go with the VTX. It cost more but the boat will last you 10 -15 years. My last boat was a 97 Sunsetter and it retained great value on the trade in.

I have an 07 Rlxi and love it and looking into the future, I don't run the course and probably never will. I spend most of my time free skiing and taking friends out on coctail cruises. When we have kids, I think the interior space might draw me into the Vdrive. I keep my boat at my parents lake house where my dad has a 06 VLX. When friends are at lake with us, I ski in the morning and put the Rlxi up and take out the his VLX because of the room. Down the road and I can't always rely on the old mans boat for the pleasure cruise.

I would go with the vtx on the diamond hull. What you are getting is the 20 lsv just with the ballast, and tower standard. They are both the best v drives on the mark right now for skiing and for sure capable of wakeboarding as well especially with any type of wedge i.e. manual or power, and the mid and rear tanks. You can even opt for a bow ballast tank as well.

Who knows what will be out in three or four years. Can you imagine? I am so happy with my Rlxi but just thinking down the road. Right know I have best of both worlds with the VLX in the stable.

Most Malibu's are custom built, you can get the LSV with ballest. I got the 21'6" diamond hull LSV and had them put the rear ballest in it. I could have went with full ballest, however I wanted the ski locker. I also added the power wedge. Still cheaper than the VTX, not by much though. Just work with your dealer. By the way, I have not surfed yet but boarded fine.

Since you haven't said anything about wakeboarding or wanting ballast, let me say this. The Sunscape 20 LSV, in my opinion, is the cats meow. It is the first boat EVER to pull me out of a direct drive and actually admit to anyone that I'd rather take the 20 LSV out to ski with my wife, son and daughter. It's got a great tournament approved slalom wake, particularly 32/34/36 mph. It's got a great rough water ride, it's super quiet, extremely social with the swivel driver seat and wrap around seating, and the kids love it.

Me and the boys out for a morning burn, sure, a Response works perfect...but for the rest of life....I think the Sunscape 20 LSV is the best boat Malibu's produced.

And if you ever add an Illusion X tower (it's a great bimini holder) and a wedge, it's a good wakeboard boat too.

There is almost a 10k difference between my stock S20LSV and my stock WVTX.

Peter

Yes, I strongly considered the Sunscape 20LSV because I primarily slalom and barefoot with just a little wakeboarding. It was a tough call to spend significantly more money on my VTX but I didn't want to spend that much and wish I had spent more to "get it all". Probably not a smart financial decision, but hay a Moomba gets you out on the water too.

Since you haven't said anything about wakeboarding or wanting ballast, let me say this. The Sunscape 20 LSV, in my opinion, is the cats meow. It is the first boat EVER to pull me out of a direct drive and actually admit to anyone that I'd rather take the 20 LSV out to ski with my wife, son and daughter. It's got a great tournament approved slalom wake, particularly 32/34/36 mph. It's got a great rough water ride, it's super quiet, extremely social with the swivel driver seat and wrap around seating, and the kids love it.

Me and the boys out for a morning burn, sure, a Response works perfect...but for the rest of life....I think the Sunscape 20 LSV is the best boat Malibu's produced.

And if you ever add an Illusion X tower (it's a great bimini holder) and a wedge, it's a good wakeboard boat too.

There is almost a 10k difference between my stock S20LSV and my stock WVTX.

Peter

He did mention the VLX that his dad owns, granted it maybe just for crusing. I wonder if the FXI will rival or better the 20 LSV?

• 3 months later...

So how is the ski wake on the older sunscape 21 LSVs? Say a 2002 (diamond hull). In comparison to my current 1992 Sunsetter euro f3 (pre-hulls with a name)? I am a novice (15off 30mph) course skier and open water guy.

My family has grown so I need to Vdrive space for family trips, but not the 2008 price.

I would own a new 20' Sunscape in a heatbeat if I was buying new. I wouldn't want to go bigger than that because my boat lift can hold only so much and boats are getting heavier and heavier.

The VTX would be another choice as I'm venturing (sp) more to the "dark side".

I own a 2003 21' Sunscape diamond cut and once you get to 32 mph or higher the wake really flattens out.

So how is the ski wake on the older sunscape 21 LSVs? Say a 2002 (diamond hull). In comparison to my current 1992 Sunsetter euro f3 (pre-hulls with a name)? I am a novice (15off 30mph) course skier and open water guy.

My family has grown so I need to Vdrive space for family trips, but not the 2008 price.

It' s a great boat too. We ski off one in the course on a fairly regular basis. I've not skied a euro in years, but the basic sv23 hull is all around much better.

Take a look at the Sunsetter LXI larger than what you currently have and 18 cu. ft. trunk for all the gear.

i picket up my vtx with the cut dimond about two weeks ago all i can tell you is the cutdimond is the best ski wake behind a vdrive , its amazing how much wake isnt there at 32

DSCF31871.jpg

20 mph no ballast or wedge

DSCF31931.jpg

34mph

a></a>

Edited by boat1956

Thanks for the input on the sunscape 21 LSV skiing and vtx wake pics.

For you Sunscape 21 owners.... How long are those storage areas on either side of the engine? Will kneeboards and wakeskates fit in there? My 5 kids collection of stuff currently completely fills up the space behind the drivers seat on my Sunsetter.

Thanks for the input on the sunscape 21 LSV skiing and vtx wake pics.

For you Sunscape 21 owners.... How long are those storage areas on either side of the engine? Will kneeboards and wakeskates fit in there? My 5 kids collection of stuff currently completely fills up the space behind the drivers seat on my Sunsetter.

I have a 2006 and don't know if they have changed the dimensions much but I can get my 139 cm board in but it is a tight fit. My wife's 135 doesn't fit well because of the board/binding geometry but my daughter's board fits not problem. The boards lay flat so they actually sit under the rear seat when I have them in that compartment. I also keep ropes, an inflatable tube and the shoe box in that compartment with plenty of room left over.

We ordered the 20' LSV. The reason for choosing LSV over VTX for us was the ski locker. I don't think we would use the the ballast enough to make it worth the extra cost and the lost of the ski locker.

"214V Built from the ground up to ... " Or at least the rail up.

I am not an MC basher by any means, I actually really like them. These new Crossovers that are tournament rated are really an awesome thing. But I find it had to believe that a V drive with the pylon so far back will track that great. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a decent slalom boat. But I would think big guys running 35+ off will be yanking that thing pretty good.

But I would think big guys running 35+ off will be yanking that thing pretty good.

I said the same thing once here and the VTX owners were all over me. Take note as to how MC adresses this issue with the 214V:

x-14v1.jpg

x-14v2.jpg