Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar service questions

I have a 2003 Monsoon 335. I have also purchased the Indmar "shop manual". I still have some questions on things that are not clear to me:

1. I have seen a list which says I should lubricate the starter bendix once/year. How should I do this?

2. Does this motor have a PCV valve?

3. I see two grease fittings on the rudder stuffing box (maybe this isn't really an Indmar question but I am here). How do I tell how much grease to put in? I am concerned about blowing out a seal.

4. Am I correct that this motor has an electronic ignition and no points to adjust? If so, can I just change the cap and rotor when I should and not need to adjust anything?

1. Don't bother

2. Yes, its attached to a hose that runs from the valve cover to the air filter.

3. Just put a couple pumps in and you should be fine.

4. No points, just change cap and rotor and don't mess up which wires go where.

-Chris

1. Don't bother

2. Yes, its attached to a hose that runs from the valve cover to the air filter.

3. Just put a couple pumps in and you should be fine.

4. No points, just change cap and rotor and don't mess up which wires go where.

-Chris

Thanks Chris.

Should I change the PCV valve each year?

I have never changed one in my entire life FWIW.

-Chris

Chris what do you advise for spark plug replacement? How many hours?

Every time I buy a new boat I replace plugs.....

Seriously though I think it depends how/if you fog out your motor every year. I think 2-3 years is fine, some on this board say more, but for $24 its not a very expensive item especially if you DIY (although on the new EXT manifolds it is more of a chore). I would make it a point to inspect annually either way.

But I have seen lots of kid's camp boats last 3 years and 500-600 hours on original plugs, impeller, cap, rotor, and fuel filter. Usually by then they run like crap because the cap & rotor is so corroded.

-Chris

Edited by 99response
I have never changed one in my entire life FWIW.

-Chris

Yeah, but you're like, what. . .12 this year??? ROFL.gif

Well Jack, useful comments as usual. FWIW you're close, just dyslexic, I'm 21.

When it comes to fixing Indmar engines, you're the toddler and I'm the old man.

I have a 2003 Monsoon 335. I have also purchased the Indmar "shop manual". I still have some questions on things that are not clear to me:

1. I have seen a list which says I should lubricate the starter bendix once/year. How should I do this?

3. I see two grease fittings on the rudder stuffing box (maybe this isn't really an Indmar question but I am here). How do I tell how much grease to put in? I am concerned about blowing out a seal.

4. Am I correct that this motor has an electronic ignition and no points to adjust? If so, can I just change the cap and rotor when I should and not need to adjust anything?

There really is a good reason for greasing the starter bendix annually. If your boat gets water in the bilge and the bottom of the bell housing sits in water, that water gets picked up by the teeth on the flywheel and gets splashed around the inside of the bell housing. The water ends up getting on the starter drive gear and can eventually cause it to stick. If you NEVER get water in your bilge, don't worry about it but if you do ... especially salt water ...a little grease on the starter drive once a year wouldn't hurt.

:lol:

Jack always feels lost when he can't recommend that they check the fuel filter. Crazy.gif

06vlx - Switch to NGK plugs. Thumbup.gif

There really is a good reason for greasing the starter bendix annually. If your boat gets water in the bilge and the bottom of the bell housing sits in water, that water gets picked up by the teeth on the flywheel and gets splashed around the inside of the bell housing. The water ends up getting on the starter drive gear and can eventually cause it to stick. If you NEVER get water in your bilge, don't worry about it but if you do ... especially salt water ...a little grease on the starter drive once a year wouldn't hurt.

What grease should be used (can I use Lithium grease?) and how do I grease it?

Remove the starter motor (2 bolts from underneath) and put a little grease on the shaft. You can leave the wires hooked up.

Honestly no one does it.

-Chris

Remove the starter motor (2 bolts from underneath) and put a little grease on the shaft. You can leave the wires hooked up.

Honestly no one does it.

-Chris

Thanks.

Excellent! I've been looking for the Fountain of Youth lately. :)

When it comes to lubeing the starter , boats that are under warranttee, indmar will not cover a failed starter if you have no record on file showing that your dealer , during there service lubed the starter, we at are dealership have had indmar kick back starters that were rusted on the drive gear do to water in the bildge getting to the bell housing and getting on the starter as stated earlyer.

• 2 years later...