Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07, 08, or 09 23LSV or 247LSV - reliability concerns or SAN 230

chuckc983

I am hoping to get a new boat by spring - I have been looking at the 2008 23LSV's and 247s - but I am seeing almost universal agreement that the 2008 stereo is a nightmare and am seeing lots of other post detailing various issues with the other electronics on the boats. The 07 boats still used mechnical switches and didn't have the JBL black box. I really don't want to drop 60k + on a boat that needs lots of trips to the shop. The boat will also be located on a lift on the lake - adding more worries about the electronics issues. Do you think the 07's will have fewer issues then the newer boats? I am also looking at the SAN 230 as it appears to get almost universally positive reviews - and get high marks for build quality. You know these boats the best - what do you think?

I can't personally speak to any of the reliability issues since I don't have any of those features, but if it concerns you then you can always order a 23' Vride for '09. That boat will come with the older rocker switches, etc, & is built on the '07 23' LSV hull. Just a thought.

I am hoping to get a new boat by spring - I have been looking at the 2008 23LSV's and 247s - but I am seeing almost universal agreement that the 2008 stereo is a nightmare and am seeing lots of other post detailing various issues with the other electronics on the boats. The 07 boats still used mechnical switches and didn't have the JBL black box. I really don't want to drop 60k + on a boat that needs lots of trips to the shop. The boat will also be located on a lift on the lake - adding more worries about the electronics issues. Do you think the 07's will have fewer issues then the newer boats? I am also looking at the SAN 230 as it appears to get almost universally positive reviews - and get high marks for build quality. You know these boats the best - what do you think?

The more electronics you have the more potencial for problems , as a dealer we have seen just as many problems with sans , from guages to the ignition pads, if you use a boat properly and have a good dealer you should have a good experence.

I have an 07 if you need one. Thumbup.gif

bought an 08 247 and did a stereo package delete so i could install all my own stuff. the boat came with no speakers no radio no remotes and not even a wire ran. installed my own shiz and no problems here! check out alpines to marine equipment and remotes!

Hi Chuck,

The SAN and Malibu are both fantastic boats - world class. Malibu is well known within the industry for innovation and often pushes the envelope with new technologies. The matrix switch system for 2008 is a great example. And like any new technology, the first model year can be somewhat more prone to early adopter issues.

To be quite candid, my personal concerns about early reliability with the new system were a consideration for our decision to go with an '07 (OK, that and a very good price and the end of the season last year Thumbup.gif ). The '07 models (and the new v-rides, I believe) have the more traditional mechanical switch system with very easy to use, service and replace switches. That said, the matrix system does provide some significant capabilities that are unmatched in industry.

I would expect that the '07s would have fewer issues just because of the first year bumps with a new technology in the '08s. You have to weigh the risk of slightly increased issues with the benefits of the new technology. Also, my limited exposure indicates to me that Malibu is good about addressing issues and it is possible that a late in the year '08 model or early '09 could have the issues resolved.