Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Size - VTX vs VLS - Wake Hull

marksy

I know some people are probably tired of this question but it is crunch time on deciding and im after all the help i can get. I have read back through 50pages on VTX so i have looked before posting

I want a wakeboard boat for wakeboarding.

- Size doesnt matter to much to me any more as the VTX doesnt fit in my garage anyway, but the smaller apeals to me for transport and handling and the $$ does also.

- Either will have enough space for the amount of people i want to take

- I have ridden behind both a few months ago but like i said that was a few months ago hence my raising the question.

I would like to base this question simple on both boats optioned with all balast tanks and wedge no addition sacs or weight other then people and with the wake hull.

So the questions i ask of you are.

How do the wakes compare in shape?

Which wake is bigger?

I know some people are probably tired of this question but it is crunch time on deciding and im after all the help i can get. I have read back through 50pages on VTX so i have looked before posting

I want a wakeboard boat for wakeboarding.

- Size doesnt matter to much to me any more as the VTX doesnt fit in my garage anyway, but the smaller apeals to me for transport and handling and the $$ does also.

- Either will have enough space for the amount of people i want to take

- I have ridden behind both a few months ago but like i said that was a few months ago hence my raising the question.

I would like to base this question simple on both boats optioned with all balast tanks and wedge no addition sacs or weight other then people and with the wake hull.

So the questions i ask of you are.

How do the wakes compare in shape?

Which wake is bigger?

I own a 07 VTX with front ballast and a manual wedge. My buudy owns a 06 VLX with front balllast and power wedge. My vtx wake is not as big as the VLX but has a much nicer ramp to it. Were talking small differnce I love our VTX great all around boat.

thanks crash. anyone else able to offer some advice?

also another question i have is does the 320 do the job well or once your fully loaded would you much prefer the 340.

This will depend on what model year boats you're looking at. If you're going to order a boat then you'll be looking at an '09 VLX which is a new hull.

Having said that, there isn't going to be a big enough difference in wake size for it to matter. Make your decision based on other factors (size of the boat, features, price, etc.).

The 320 is fine on power, but from a resale standpoint it's worth it to spend a little more to get the Monsoon.

I have an 07 VTX with the 320 LCR. As far as the wake is concerned, I rode behind an 08 VLX with the 340 Monsoon all last weekend. The wake IMO was better with the VLX than my VTX. Not tremendously different, but better. Having said that when all is considered (price, size, towing etc,) I would buy the VTX again. Also, my experience with the 340 was that it seemed to be use much more fuel than my 320, but that wasn't an apples to apples comparison since it was a bigger boat. As far as power is concerned, I'm pleased with teh 320 in my VTX and don't regret not having the 340. Not sure how the 320 would do in the larger, heavier VLX though.

I have a 08 VTX with the 340. I had the Monsoon in my 97 Sunsetter and it was a great engine. I my mind the VTX is the best all around boat on the market. Wakeboarding, Skiing, Surfing. Most people on this board say you need to add more ballast over the stock set up for surfing. I can surf with my wife driving @ 125lbs and my 8 and 6 year old if nobody is around. It is not a monster wake but it works fine. When we add people in the boat it is great. As for wakbaording the wakes are great all the way up to an advanced rider. Oh and I have the cut Diamond so if you get the wake hull it will only be better. I went for the cut diamond becasue I still love to slalom ski.

Yep obviously i am refering to the 320 in the VTX mainly so the feedback so far is great.

Steve

Good to know steve that you would buy it again even after your comments. Is yours a wake hull or diamond

Ripley

You say (as many do) its the best all round when with the diamond hull which is why you got it. If i dont plan on skiing behind it at all am i going to regret the wake size for wakeboarding and surfing, with a wake hull though of course and wish i got the VLX instead. i do want a VTX because of the size and towing and price which is swaying me that way if the wakeboard wake is comparable.

I wouldn't be afraid of a VTX wake. I would question how big of a "crew" you have and how "core" of a wakeboarder you are. Ultimately a VLX is just a bigger boat and will produce a bigger wake, but how much wake do you really need. I would imagine a VTX with 1K of ballast plus stock is going to satisfy all but a very small percentage of riders.

I would go with the 320 motor, the new CAT's on the 340 seem to have some sensor issues this year. But that darn LCR is pretty much bulletproof. Also it seems is AUS the resale is much stronger due to fewer boats on the market.

-Chris

Yep obviously i am refering to the 320 in the VTX mainly so the feedback so far is great.

Steve

Good to know steve that you would buy it again even after your comments. Is yours a wake hull or diamond

Ripley

You say (as many do) its the best all round when with the diamond hull which is why you got it. If i dont plan on skiing behind it at all am i going to regret the wake size for wakeboarding and surfing, with a wake hull though of course and wish i got the VLX instead. i do want a VTX because of the size and towing and price which is swaying me that way if the wakeboard wake is comparable.

If you can test ride both wakes that would be the best as it would put your mind at ease. If you are not going to slalom and can't test ride I would go with the wake hull. I do think the diamond hull will be a value for the future as alot of guys like me (40 years old) and rember the days when I would run the course all the time need a boat like that for the family.

marsky,

My vtx rides on the wake hull. I also should add that my boat is equipped with the power wedge and all available ballasts. What the others have said is pretty much right on. I do think that consideration of the size of your crew would be crucial when making this decision, as someone else said. My typical usage is 2-4 adults and 2 small kids. I have boated with the VTX many, many times with 6 adults or more and a couple of kids and although this is doable, it is much less comfortable. Something else that I like about the VTX is that it seems to be much more maneuvarable around the dock and handles much more like a direct drive than the larger VLX. When towing also, the extra foot and a half was noticeable to me. Both boats are awesome and I really think it depends on the size of your crew as to which one is right for you. There may be others that disagree with what I've said, but again this is just my experience and opinion.

thanks crash. anyone else able to offer some advice?

also another question i have is does the 320 do the job well or once your fully loaded would you much prefer the 340.

The 320 does a awesome job if you really sack it out id reccomend a 14.5 x 14.25 prop. Goodluck with your new bu purchase.