Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

raw water pump

Ok so this weekend the boat ran at a steady 160 degrees. the boat is a 97 echelon with a carbed 350. i have the plastic pump housing. after doing research it sounds like i need to upgrade to a new pump. can someone point me in the right direction.

160 is nothing to be concerned with.

That's where my '00 carb'd Indmar runs. Boatwise, at what temp should one become concerned?

160 is nothing to be concerned with.

That's where my '00 carb'd Indmar runs. Boatwise, at what temp should one become concerned?

Someone else should probably answer that. The 4 cylinder Chevy in my houseboat has always run @ 190 degrees.

thanks guys. guess im safe for right now.....hate to change topic but anyone have a spark plug and plug wire recommendation. they are the original. do i just ask for regular 350 pass. car wires?

It's typical to have a 160 thermostat in these boats. I get some variation between 160 & 165 when running hard, stopping after pulling a skier, etc. Typically it drops right back to 160 within a few seconds when I start it up.

I start checking things if it gets above 180 or if it starts running really cold to prevent any issues as this typically means something is wrong and damaging temps may soon be following.

Shouldn't be any damage until well over 210 - depends on how long & how it was run at the high temps.

160 is fine. 180 is probably a bit better. 200 is getting a bit hot. 210+...better keep a steady eye and start getting concerned.

thanks guys. guess im safe for right now.....hate to change topic but anyone have a spark plug and plug wire recommendation. they are the original. do i just ask for regular 350 pass. car wires?

NGK plugs - others may agree or disagree - personal preference - Any dealer should be able to look the type up for you.

Plug wires should be marine grade - copper cores

Get the engine serial number and use that when ordering parts- that way you get the correct parts for your engine.

Edited by SFD