Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter VLX - questions

the_dude

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a boat for wakeboarding with a target purchase price around $15K. I've come across a decent seeming sunsetter. It is a 1997 v-drive with tower, ballast, stereo, and new engine (~20 hour on engine, ~700 on hull) for the asking price of 14K. I have seen the boat breifly in person and plan on taking it for a test drive next weekend if it hasn't sold.

Questions:

1) What are the problem areas to look for specific to these boats? What should I do on my test drive?

2) How well would one of these handle saltwater? It hasn't been used in saltwater by PO's but I'm interested in day trips in the bay where I live (saltwater)

3) I've looked at the hull chart on here and 97's all show SV23 while 98 and up distinquish between wake and diamond. Is the 97 SV23 the same as the SV23-wake or are 98+ hulls new designs?

4) Is 14K a pretty good price? I've been told yes by a few people but the more input the better.

5) I really wish it was a 98 as I've read on here that is when the wrap around seating started? Is it possible to retrofit the side seating?

Anything else I should think about in looking at this boat or boats in this range?

Here are some pics, if this works.

pic3po1.jpg

pic1bz7.jpg

pic2qm2.jpg

pic4yt0.jpg

I've seen the boat in person and it's in "good" shape, not as good as the small pics make it look. Some carpet stains/discoloring and scratches/fading in the gelcoat, etc.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a boat for wakeboarding with a target purchase price around $15K. I've come across a decent seeming sunsetter. It is a 1997 v-drive with tower, ballast, stereo, and new engine (~20 hour on engine, ~700 on hull) for the asking price of 14K. I have seen the boat breifly in person and plan on taking it for a test drive next weekend if it hasn't sold.

Questions:

1) What are the problem areas to look for specific to these boats? What should I do on my test drive?

2) How well would one of these handle saltwater? It hasn't been used in saltwater by PO's but I'm interested in day trips in the bay where I live (saltwater)

3) I've looked at the hull chart on here and 97's all show SV23 while 98 and up distinquish between wake and diamond. Is the 97 SV23 the same as the SV23-wake or are 98+ hulls new designs?

4) Is 14K a pretty good price? I've been told yes by a few people but the more input the better.

5) I really wish it was a 98 as I've read on here that is when the wrap around seating started? Is it possible to retrofit the side seating?

Anything else I should think about in looking at this boat or boats in this range?

Here are some pics, if this works.

pic3po1.jpg

pic1bz7.jpg

pic2qm2.jpg

pic4yt0.jpg

I've seen the boat in person and it's in "good" shape, not as good as the small pics make it look. Some carpet stains/discoloring and scratches/fading in the gelcoat, etc.

here is what I know (not really much!):

1.) there is a part of this forum with instruction on buying a used boat, just look around and you will find it.

2.) i'm not familiar with saltwater in this type of boat. I'm not sure what type of modifications/protections you need to take.

3.) the SV23 came out in 93' with the echelon. the SV23 but malibu on the map as one of the best all-around hulls on the planet-no kidding. the cut diamond was a evolution of the original SV23 and used for the ski-specific boats. SV23 wake (i think) is different than the standard SV23. I think the standard SV23 will be a little better for skiing.

4.) Yes, seems like a good price...especially considering it has a new motor, tower, and is in good shape (photos seem to indicate this).

5.) it'll be tough to retro-fit the seating into the newer configuration. it'd take time, expertise and of course $$$. it can certainly be done, though.

you might also want to look at the Sunsetter LX. These came with the wedge and can have a tower installed. Not a bad wakeboard boat, but not as good a wake as the VLX. You should be able to find a nice Sunsetter for around 15-18K. The replaced motor would have be a little on edge. Who replaced it? Who did the work? Is there any warranty?

good luck, 15K is plenty of money, so just make sure you find what you want. Thumbup.gif

I have a 99 Sunsetter I run in salt water. The boat will run the same no matter the type of water. It's the rust you have to worry about. Flush the motor with a fake-lake after every use. Hose down everything to wash all the salt water off best you can. If it's in salt water a lot you will have some rust. All you can do is wash and watch and replace hinges and such as needed. I have had mine in salt water on and off for the past 2 years and just replaced a couple of hinges for the first time. Watch the windshield as it can water-spot easily. As for the price go to NADA.com and go to their boat price link. It's pretty good. As for the salt water and the trailer...... unless the trailer is galvanised (sp?) just plan on replacing it after a few years. A painted trailer and salt water just don't play nice together.

That seems like a REALLY good deal for a v-drive anything. It's worth more than that, I'd jump on if it checks out.

As for salt water, you will have to buy a new trailer. You CAN NOT use a painted trailer in salt water, not even once.

-Chris

yeah posted about this on wakeboarder.com and found out I am competing against someone else to buy this boat who can see it sooner so doesn't look good for me.

3.) the SV23 came out in 93' with the echelon. the SV23 put Malibu on the map as one of the best all-around hulls on the planet-no kidding. the cut diamond was a evolution of the original SV23 and used for the ski-specific boats. SV23 wake (i think) is different than the standard SV23. I think the standard SV23 will be a little better for skiing.

No.gif

SV23 = Wake Hull

SV23 Diamond = Ski Hull

Cut Diamond = the latest evolution of the diamond hull

:)