Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual Wedge Question...

cbixby

I have a new 2007 VTX with the manual wedge. It locks in the up position and not in the down position... is this normal?

There are 2 nuts that are in place in the lower side of the wedge that stop its travel from getting past the lowest travel point.

Someone told me on their older malibu the wedge locked in the down position?

Thanks in advance!

Chance ~

The '07 manual wedges are 'floating' wedges in that they don't lock in the down position - so it's normal.

The '06 and older manual wedges did lock in both the up and down positions.

I have a new 2007 VTX with the manual wedge. It locks in the up position and not in the down position... is this normal?

There are 2 nuts that are in place in the lower side of the wedge that stop its travel from getting past the lowest travel point.

Someone told me on their older malibu the wedge locked in the down position?

Thanks in advance!

Chance ~

You have what is called the "free floating" wedge. The older wedges did lock in the up and down positions, yours as you've found only locks in the up position. The floating wedge adjusts itself based upon the angle of the transom.

The '07 manual wedges are 'floating' wedges in that they don't lock in the down position - so it's normal.

Thanks for the information... I notice there are 2 sets of holes for the bottom nuts to go into. Does this affect the position of the wedge for better performance?

And also does the water pressure hold the wedge in place... or does it pick its location based on how it feels that day?

=o)

Water holds it down Chance.

The upper set of holes is for Diamond hull boats, and the lower set of holes is for the SV-23, or Wake hull boats.

Peter :)

Water holds it down Chance.

The upper set of holes is for Diamond hull boats, and the lower set of holes is for the SV-23, or Wake hull boats.

Peter :)

WATER!! I knew it! LOL!

I guess I will change the bolts back to where they were then!

Thanks for the info!!

Chance ~

The floating wedge doesn't lock in, it just hangs there & self-adjusts depending on the attitude of the boat. What they're talking about are different positions that you can "stop" the wedge at. I have mine on the farther back setting & I believe that for wakeboarding it makes the wake peakier with a bit of a lip at the top. It's mellower/shallower with the bolts on the other setting. I can post some pics tonight if need be.

so, if you have an older wedge, can you make it "float" by just not locking it in place - have those little stoppers rest against the wedge plate, rather than aligning them with the locking holes?

There was somebody (Way back when on MBO) that modified their fixed wedge bracket to have additional holes behind the standard ones. They were not pleased with the results they got.

So witht he older wedges that lock in both positions. Do you have to lock it down or up or could you have it floating?

While I haven't tried it, IIRC - if you don't lock the older wedge in the down position, the prop was will swing it up enough that it works like a brake & you will have difficulties getting the boat to plane & it won't improve the wake.

There is a difference in the foils between the 'fixed' and the 'floating' wedges.

There was somebody (Way back when on MBO) that modified their fixed wedge bracket to have additional holes behind the standard ones. They were not pleased with the results they got.

That's what the results showed.

So witht he older wedges that lock in both positions. Do you have to lock it down or up or could you have it floating?

You need to lock it in as that's the way it was designed to work, futhermore you run the risk of damaging the locking mechanisms.

alright thanks I was checking to see if that would make a difference I will keep mine in the down position as I have been doing. The guy that I bought the boat from said that he never used to drive the boat past 25 -30 mph with the wedge down. Is this the general rule of thumb?

I was wondering the same... what would happen if you created a stopping point on the original wedge bracket and let the manual wedge "float". Does anyone know how the foils are different exactly? Sure looks like a flat foil to me on both.

• 14 years later...
MalibuBenji

We have a 2013 Malibu Ride 21’ with a manual power wedge. I understand that models past 07’ use a floating wedge. However, I see that our wedge still has holes to lock both in the upper and lower most positions. Will we be able to get an even bigger wave if we remove the bolts blocking the lower holes and lock the wedge in the lowest position?

The lowest position on most wedges will provide little down force to add simulated ballast. If in a slightly forward position will actually induce lift like on the PW3. For best results you will want to have the wedge positioned somewhere between all the down and all of the way up in it’s stowed position. Too much wedge will see less desirable performance and results than too little wedge. Good luck