Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot Speed

WakingMeHappy

What is a good speed for bearfooting behind the boat? Using a barefoot poll we cruise 30-35. I was pulling my son about 40 with the rope behind the boat and you should have seen him wipe-out. He looked like a rock skipping on the water. Anyway, how fast should I go?

He's 19, 5'11" and about 175lbs.

Edited by TeamNevill

A very general rule of thumb is your weight divided by 10 + 20. So for someone that is say 170lbs speed would be about 37mph. Some go a bit faster some a bit slower. One footing will require a couple of more mph.

What is a good speed for bearfooting behind the boat? Using a barefoot poll we cruise 30-35. I was pulling my son about 40 with the rope behind the boat and you should have seen him wipe-out. He looked like a rock skipping on the water. Anyway, how fast should I go?

depending on your son's size, 40 is pretty fast. with proper technique, speeds can be slower. as brian said above, general rule is divide weight by 10, and add 20. I weigh about 178, and with my Fred Flintstone feet (about same width as length), i usually foot around 37.

And this weekend my youngest daughter footed off the boom for the first time without the swing!! hoping to have her on the 5 foot bridle this week (maybe even this afternoon).

It depends on a lot of factors. skill, water smoothness, rope length, foot size, barefoot suit, butt padding, speedometer accuracy.

I have no idea if my speedos are right.

175 lb. beginners, holding onto a boom, in glassy water should be able to foot at 37 no problem.

He should practice his 3 point position down to 30 mph. (or less) before he encounters waves and advances in skill.

I always recommend getting some dense rubber flooring and cutting it into a butt shape and adding it to your suit. It makes it so easy to butt slide and deep water start.

When I use a kick off ski I go about 38 ( for the kick off). I'm 150 lbs. After kick off I go about 35 if it's glassy, so I can stand straight up and relax, to make it to the other side of the lake.

If waves are approaching my driver slows to 32 and I will squat or go to a 3 point position. If it's some wakeboarder waves I go even slower in a 3 point. I look like a bouncing ball. i can't believe I don't lose my contacts.

Jg, how slow can you go when standing?

It depends on a lot of factors. skill, water smoothness, rope length, foot size, barefoot suit, butt padding, speedometer accuracy.

175 lb. beginners, holding onto a boom, in glassy water should be able to foot at 37 no problem.

To me that is way fast for a beginer of that weight on the boom. The general formula above is usually good for long line behind the boat. On the boom you can slow the boat way down. Someone 175lbs I would probably start around 32-33 mph on the boom and increase the speed a bit if needed.

He should practice his 3 point position down to 30 mph. (or less) before he encounters waves and advances in skill.

I always recommend getting some dense rubber flooring and cutting it into a butt shape and adding it to your suit. It makes it so easy to butt slide and deep water start.

When I use a kick off ski I go about 38 ( for the kick off). I'm 150 lbs. After kick off I go about 35 if it's glassy, so I can stand straight up and relax, to make it to the other side of the lake.

If waves are approaching my driver slows to 32 and I will squat or go to a 3 point position. If it's some wakeboarder waves I go even slower in a 3 point. I look like a bouncing ball. i can't believe I don't lose my contacts.

Jg, how slow can you go when standing?

long line, i can go pretty slow, not exactly sure, but i'd guess 32, but that is plowing. when we get to rollers, my wife is pretty good at slowing way down (at long as she is in a good mood :unsure: ) because she knows that i am going to get into a really low stance, or even get to the butt if it looks like there is more clear water ahead.

i agree with Brian though, off the boom, you should be slowing the speeds way down. also, invest in a good pair of foot trainers. i have the ones from Barefoot central, and they are really nice (i like these better than the barefoot international ones, but they are good too). you can go in the mids 20s, or even slower on the boom with those, and they are very forgiving when learning starts.

get rid of that kickoff ski, that's old school Rockon.gif . i learned that way (and the old kneeboard too). what i have seen used with better success now is a wakeboard with no bindings. easier to sit on when waiting to get up, and also better tracking at speed.

Edited by jgouveia3

for his size 40 is probably about the the minimum for long line if he wants to do any tricks, but it definitely depends on his ability.

if he's just learning then its way too fast. he can foot at 35 or even lower, esspecially on the boom to get him to learn what good body position is - speed enables bad body position.

let's see... 270/10= 27... 27+20=47mph!!! I think 42mph will be sufficient for me, thanks! If it's not- I'm gonna need a different boat!

let's see... 270/10= 27... 27+20=47mph!!! I think 42mph will be sufficient for me, thanks! If it's not- I'm gonna need a different boat!

well its a guideline, so if you have size 14 planks, that are EEE then you'll be able to slow it down some...at your size though, technique will be important.

well its a guideline, so if you have size 14 planks, that are EEE then you'll be able to slow it down some...at your size though, technique will be important.

I do have 14's, but they're only "d" width. We foot just fine at 40-42mph on the boom. I've never had the balls to go longline.

I do have 14's, but they're only "d" width. We foot just fine at 40-42mph on the boom. I've never had the balls to go longline.

so go for it. if you are on the boom, take that next step...

but boy, 42 on the boom is fast...

I'm 6'3 215 and ski at 40mph for warm up pass( strech and tumbles) then 42 for 1 foots and toe holds forwards and 39 for the same backwards on the shortline Boom. Longline is the same speeds. Except for the front wakes I ski 45mph

long line, i can go pretty slow, not exactly sure, but i'd guess 32, but that is plowing. when we get to rollers, my wife is pretty good at slowing way down (at long as she is in a good mood :unsure: ) because she knows that i am going to get into a really low stance, or even get to the butt if it looks like there is more clear water ahead.

It's hard to let go when you see flat water behind the rollers ahead! Sometimes I make it, but that situation has launched me more than once.