Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

speed control while surfing

My 2006 iRide with the standard speed control will not hold speed while surfing at 8-9mph. It will engage but then drop down without any warning beep to "increase throttle". Is this normal or is there anything that can be done?

Is my speed control the same system that is standard on newer boats?

On my cousin's 23 LSV with PP we normally surf around 10.8 to 11.4 mph. I'm not sure if their speedos have been gps'd so not 100% sure on the accuracy of the true speeds.

My 2006 iRide with the standard speed control will not hold speed while surfing at 8-9mph. It will engage but then drop down without any warning beep to "increase throttle". Is this normal or is there anything that can be done?

It's possible that your boat didn't get the software update that you need to make it hold down to 8mph. Ours acted the same way at first, it wouldn't hold below 12mph, but after the update it held great. It affected many of the very early 2006 models & ours was actually a guinea pig for the flash. Ask your dealer, it's a 15 minute deal tops.

• 1 month later...

It's possible that your boat didn't get the software update that you need to make it hold down to 8mph. Ours acted the same way at first, it wouldn't hold below 12mph, but after the update it held great. It affected many of the very early 2006 models & ours was actually a guinea pig for the flash. Ask your dealer, it's a 15 minute deal tops.

Thanks for the advice. My 06 is doing the same thing. I just started getting into surfing and this will make it really nice for the drive so I don't ahve to stare at the speedo.

Even if you get the software upgrade make sure to GPS your speedo. You might be surfing faster than you think. I surely can't form a decent surf wake at 8 mph on our's. We surf at 11 mph by GPS.

I'm so glad I saw this thread - having the same issue and ours was an early -06. I'm going to call my dealer and see what I can do. What kind of cable do you need for that? Is it the standard automotive type with some pc software? I've got one for my VW that works on most german cars, would be great if I could jsut get the software :)

• 7 years later...

Apparently the previous owner did not get this update. The local dealer could not find it, they gave me Malibu's phone number and they had no idea either.  I was wondering if anyone had this update laying around or knows who would.  I have a 2006 LSV. 

Thank You