Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow/Rough Idle, bogging BAD

WaveMake'nLSV

160hr 5.7 380HH running fine all day, pause for about 3 hrs for some tunes and spirits. Start up boat to wakeboard and I hear an unusual hissing sound under the hood and the boat is struggling to idle at 580 rpm, and usually purrs like a kitten at 670 rpm idle. Put it in gear and it shudders, slows to 300 and nearly dies. I put in neutral and attempt to rev it, to clear it out a bit...wont' do it. I take jiggle the throttle cable, make sure everything appears to be working normally, and then take off the air filter and inspect the butterfly/choke mechanism and it appears to be fine. I work the butterfly valve a few times manually and start up the boat without the filter on and it runs perfectly. Re-install the air filter and ran the rest of the day without issue. Is it possible that the electronic choke got hung up for some reason? It seemed like it was starving for AIR and smelled rich, when standing on the platform. Anything I can address to ensure this no happen again? Choke hung up? Vapor lock...although UNLIKELY b/c it was running RICH and struggling for air. Seems like an EFI issue with the choke. I thought about spraying some sort of lube into the intake and see if that improves. But like I said, it was a ONE TIME thing, so far...and ran VERY well, as normal, for the remainder of the afternoon.

Bueller? Bueller?

TIA,

160hr 5.7 380HH running fine all day, pause for about 3 hrs for some tunes and spirits. Start up boat to wakeboard and I hear an unusual hissing sound under the hood and the boat is struggling to idle at 580 rpm, and usually purrs like a kitten at 670 rpm idle. Put it in gear and it shudders, slows to 300 and nearly dies. I put in neutral and attempt to rev it, to clear it out a bit...wont' do it. I take jiggle the throttle cable, make sure everything appears to be working normally, and then take off the air filter and inspect the butterfly/choke mechanism and it appears to be fine. I work the butterfly valve a few times manually and start up the boat without the filter on and it runs perfectly. Re-install the air filter and ran the rest of the day without issue. Is it possible that the electronic choke got hung up for some reason? It seemed like it was starving for AIR and smelled rich, when standing on the platform. Anything I can address to ensure this no happen again? Choke hung up? Vapor lock...although UNLIKELY b/c it was running RICH and struggling for air. Seems like an EFI issue with the choke. I thought about spraying some sort of lube into the intake and see if that improves. But like I said, it was a ONE TIME thing, so far...and ran VERY well, as normal, for the remainder of the afternoon.

Bueller? Bueller?

TIA,

If your fuel pump is on the side of the engine and not in the fuel tank, then it could have been vapors in the fuel pump. The fuel pump can't push vapor only liquid, so ECM thinks it needs fuel and sends more (rich) smell. I found it only happens to me when the engine has been run a lot and is hot. We stop and sit for more than 15-20 mins. The engine compartment gets baking hot. The fuel pump is very hot to the touch. This situation is when the symptoms you described occur on my 2005 Vride. Since using Stabil all the time and running the blower when idling or stopped, the problem has not reoccurred. I also will open the engine hatch to let out the heat. Every time this has happened to me, the cure was to cool down the fuel pump. Put wet rag on it, pour water on it,or wedge a cold beverage against it for 5mins or so. It would start right up and run fine. This problem I talking about only occurs when the engine is hot. If you have this occur when cold you could have a stuck IAC. Here in Florida a few MC's have had this problem, they just shot in some carb cleaner into the IAC to unstick it and they were good to go.

Thanks! Will pay attention next time (hope to NOT happen again)...but it did seem to clear up after the hatch was open for about 10 mins.

Will keep all this in mind,

Bueller? Bueller?

TIA,

If your fuel pump is on the side of the engine and not in the fuel tank, then it could have been vapors in the fuel pump. The fuel pump can't push vapor only liquid, so ECM thinks it needs fuel and sends more (rich) smell. I found it only happens to me when the engine has been run a lot and is hot. We stop and sit for more than 15-20 mins. The engine compartment gets baking hot. The fuel pump is very hot to the touch. This situation is when the symptoms you described occur on my 2005 Vride. Since using Stabil all the time and running the blower when idling or stopped, the problem has not reoccurred. I also will open the engine hatch to let out the heat. Every time this has happened to me, the cure was to cool down the fuel pump. Put wet rag on it, pour water on it,or wedge a cold beverage against it for 5mins or so. It would start right up and run fine. This problem I talking about only occurs when the engine is hot. If you have this occur when cold you could have a stuck IAC. Here in Florida a few MC's have had this problem, they just shot in some carb cleaner into the IAC to unstick it and they were good to go.

My 06 VLX Monsoon vapor locked 2 times on me again this week. Cool it down and all is fine. Long run, high outside temps, leave blower off when stopping and don't open hatch. Mine is locking up every time I forget to get the heat out.

My 06 VLX Monsoon vapor locked 2 times on me again this week. Cool it down and all is fine. Long run, high outside temps, leave blower off when stopping and don't open hatch. Mine is locking up every time I forget to get the heat out.
In Florida 90+ degrees 90+ humidity Lake water 90+ had same problem, but even when I forget to let the heat out I don't usually have the problem since I have been using Stabil with every fill up. I'm not sure why, but it seems to help. This summer has been much better than earlier this year. The only thing different is costant use of Stabil even when the gas gets used up the same day.