Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swimstep ideas

Bill_AirJunky

So we've had this Vride for less than a year & put about 60 hrs on it so far.... and love almost every aspect of the boat. We just took it to Banks Lake for the second time this summer, joining two other boats full of people. But we ended up using the Vride for more riding & partying than either of the other two. People love it. They stop us at the grocery store, give us a thumbs-up as we drive by, and compliment it at the ramp or dock. But the one thing that looks like hell already is the swimstep. The teak is doing the same thing they all do, getting banged up and sun bleached, even though the previous owner had it looking great when we bought the boat 8 months ago. AndI'm not going to refinish the thing every few months just so it looks descent. So I'm replacing it. And looking for ideas on what materials to use.

I've put Traxx pad (or Gator Grip for you jetskiers) on a variety of different swimsteps, including some teak platforms. But this one is still in good enough shape that it will sand & refinish nicely.... and then I'll sell it. So my question is what kind of wood, plastic or figerglass product would be a good base for a new swimstep? Then I'll finish it with a Linex coat, a rubber rub rail, and a Traxx pad top. But what would be sturdy & easy to work with to build the platform?

So we've had this Vride for less than a year & put about 60 hrs on it so far.... and love almost every aspect of the boat. We just took it to Banks Lake for the second time this summer, joining two other boats full of people. But we ended up using the Vride for more riding & partying than either of the other two. People love it. They stop us at the grocery store, give us a thumbs-up as we drive by, and compliment it at the ramp or dock. But the one thing that looks like hell already is the swimstep. The teak is doing the same thing they all do, getting banged up and sun bleached, even though the previous owner had it looking great when we bought the boat 8 months ago. AndI'm not going to refinish the thing every few months just so it looks descent. So I'm replacing it. And looking for ideas on what materials to use.

I've put Traxx pad (or Gator Grip for you jetskiers) on a variety of different swimsteps, including some teak platforms. But this one is still in good enough shape that it will sand & refinish nicely.... and then I'll sell it. So my question is what kind of wood, plastic or figerglass product would be a good base for a new swimstep? Then I'll finish it with a Linex coat, a rubber rub rail, and a Traxx pad top. But what would be sturdy & easy to work with to build the platform?

I have teak on my boat.

Teak is low maintenance compared to having the black crap that rubs off on you feet from the fiberglass step.

I have sanded it once since I' ve owned.

All you have to do is oil it once a month (5-10 min.) and it will treat you well. My teak looks good and gives the boat a finished look.

This is my 3rd boat with a teak swimstep. I've refinished my share of them, numerous times. I'm not a fan of oiling swimsteps, or the surface when it's done, or how well it doesn't hold up in the sun & water. The last boat I had I scored a fiberglass swimstep off Ebay for like $200. I loved it. No black crap with Traxx pad, way more durable and non-skid. So I want to go that route again. I've checked with the dealer & a fiberglass swimstep runs about $600... a bit more than I'm willing to spend. So I'm exploring my options.

I appreciate that you like teak on your boat. But I have it already & can't stand it.

Once the project is done, I'll sell the teak swimstep & your more than welcome to oil it to your heart's content.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky