Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter decals

Chia

they keep coming off, I am sure it is from surfing on this side but still, it sure looks terrible. If you look close you can see the "T" and the "E" coming off as well as the missing crest thing.

decalsgoneaug2008.jpg

I have the same problem with the malibu under the gas cap the b and u came off. I am taking it to the dealer for some repairs and if they don't fix it I'm just going to take all the letters off Dontknow.gif

My decals look like that too, but it's from rubbing on my boat lift....mainly on the shore side from the rollers pounding the boat before I can lift it.

Hmm. My wife just noticed a small section about the size of nickle no longer sticking. Could be start of something worse. You would think they would have this decal thing nailed by now.

Hmm. My wife just noticed a small section about the size of nickle no longer sticking. Could be start of something worse. You would think they would have this decal thing nailed by now.

Yes, that is how it starts. The first little section I was able to glue back with Silicone and it held up so far, but the last two letters went at the same time Whistling.gif

You would think so, I had the same problem with my 2001 VLX, 7 years later, same problems. I wonder if MC has this problem as well?

does anyone know how long Malibu will warranty replacement of the decals?

they keep coming off, I am sure it is from surfing on this side but still, it sure looks terrible. If you look close you can see the "T" and the "E" coming off as well as the missing crest thing.

Despite the stickers coming off, still a GREAT looking boat!

Yup. 50 hours and mine are coming off too. Both sides so probably not from surfing as we are dark side surfers.

wow, i had no idea that's been happening...

no issues with ours with ~40 hours Yahoo.gif but we don't surf, and now maybe i won't ever..

Edited by Blindside_137

no issues with ours with ~40 hours Yahoo.gif but we don't surf, and now maybe i won't ever..

That's too bad. You don't know what you are missing.

When you get a little start like that, using a hair dryer or heat gun will help to reactivate the glue & keep them on. If you keep an eye on them, you can many times keep ahead of it.

It used to be that the domed letters only came off of the sticker underneath - we lost 2 in 1 weekend that way, & I stripped all of them off in the parking lot when we pulled off of the lake. I didn't bother putting them back on because I actually like the graphic better without them. But this looks like it's happening to the domes that are directly on the gel. Usually that indicates sloppy preparation, but maybe there's more to it than that.....

When you get a little start like that, using a hair dryer or heat gun will help to reactivate the glue & keep them on. If you keep an eye on them, you can many times keep ahead of it.

It used to be that the domed letters only came off of the sticker underneath - we lost 2 in 1 weekend that way, & I stripped all of them off in the parking lot when we pulled off of the lake. I didn't bother putting them back on because I actually like the graphic better without them. But this looks like it's happening to the domes that are directly on the gel. Usually that indicates sloppy preparation, but maybe there's more to it than that.....

Tracie, I was thinking about taking the malibu domed letters off but have mixed feels especially when I went through all the trouble to match the reg. letters.

How do you get them off without damaging the gel coat? Heat gun? Hair dryer?

That's too bad. You don't know what you are missing.

well i say that, but i'm sure i will sometime... i just don't feel like spending a lot of money for a board. But it would be a great thing for when it's not absolute glass on the lake

Tracie, I was thinking about taking the malibu domed letters off but have mixed feels especially when I went through all the trouble to match the reg. letters.

How do you get them off without damaging the gel coat? Heat gun? Hair dryer?

Yes, either will work. Just be careful to not heat up the gel too much. Get them warm & they should peel right off. Heck, you could even put them straight on some wax paper & then maybe use them later if you don't like how it looks without them. Have a girl handy that's got good fingernails & you won't have any problems removing them. Use a little Goo Gone or 3M Adhesive Remover (the 3M works much better) after & you'll be all fixed up.

I had bought the Domed letters for my 93 sunsetter and on the first run out after the new gel coat and letters, the M and A fell off on one side and the same were loose on the other side.

I took it back to the shop that did the hull work and the Malibu dealer Heckels in Mosinee, Wi reaplced the decals with new ones and the shop in St. Germain covered the labor and re-install under warranty. Thank you Lord, I was blessed.

The shop is also going to use a 3m adhesive this time because it looked as though the letters were seperated from the glue on the back.

From what I know, Malibu does not cover decals under any warranty.

Ken

decalsgoneaug2008.jpg

Maybe the letters are running away from the pink... J/K That would really suck, I cant imagine how mad I would be especially with so few hours!

I had the M fall off my 2002 Response LX so I took the big Malibu off both sides. A little heat gun and they came right off. It only took about 45 minuts max to get both sides off. I didn't heat them up too much just enough to break the glue and gave them a pull.

Edited by Chef23