Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing plugs on 06 Monsoon

Ok I have 325 hrs on the boat and it's time to change the plugs. I pulled one of the plugs to varify that I got the right one when I went shopping. AC-Delco 41-932 came out of the boat with a .060 gap, roughly, per specs in the book from INDMAR. Now when I went to the Marine shop (Ultimate) the plug has changed to AC Delco 41-993. Well I wanted NGK so I went to NAPA and had them cross reference them and came up with the Iridium IX (TR55IX) I also had them pull the updated AC Delco 41-993 to compare the three. Everything is the same across the board with the exception that the electrode sticks out further from the end of the plug on the two new ones. So here is the question since the plug has been changed to the new 41-993 with a higher electrode should I change the GAP back to .045 like it came from the factory or should I gap it to the .060 per the INDMAR specs? Has anyone else with a 06 or later monsoon dealt with this yet. I have done a search and I found a few things but nothing concrete. I only want to change the plugs once so I would like to get the gap right the first time.

do you possibly have a chart that would show the gap for the 2004 340 monsoon. How often is everyone changing their plugs? Thanks Blake

Ok, so after a lot of research and asking questions and another trip back to NAPA I have the right plugs and the correct gap. The plugs for my monsoon Indmar 8 cyl GM Small Block 5.7L V8 EFI H.O. from NGK are the following: basic plug BPR6EFS 3623, or Iriduim plug TR6IX 3689, which is what I purchased. The gap is .060 per the Indmar specs for both types of plugs. If you ever go to NAPA or anywhere else be sure to tell them it is an indmar motor not just a chevy V8 they can look it up specific to your needs. The other option is what I did first was go to NGK's website and look it up before you go to the autoparts store. The original plugs given to me TR55IX would of ran fine but a little cooler so it shouldn't of been a problem but why take the chance. Now alls I have to do is change the things. This should be fun!

Ok, so after a lot of research and asking questions and another trip back to NAPA I have the right plugs and the correct gap. The plugs for my monsoon Indmar 8 cyl GM Small Block 5.7L V8 EFI H.O. from NGK are the following: basic plug BPR6EFS 3623, or Iriduim plug TR6IX 3689, which is what I purchased. The gap is .060 per the Indmar specs for both types of plugs. If you ever go to NAPA or anywhere else be sure to tell them it is an indmar motor not just a chevy V8 they can look it up specific to your needs. The other option is what I did first was go to NGK's website and look it up before you go to the autoparts store. The original plugs given to me TR55IX would of ran fine but a little cooler so it shouldn't of been a problem but why take the chance. Now alls I have to do is change the things. This should be fun!

Make sure to use the dielectric grease on the wire boots, it helps with corrosion between the plug and the spark plug connector :)

What gap did I tell you at first Whistling.gif twist plug wire before pulling it off. Helps break up things and so that you don't rip a boot. Pull on boot not wire.

Key point for Joann, turn eng over while Tim is holding plug wire. Your Welcome.gif

What gap did I tell you at first Whistling.gif twist plug wire before pulling it off. Helps break up things and so that you don't rip a boot. Pull on boot not wire.

Key point for Joann, turn eng over while Tim is holding plug wire. Your Welcome.gif

Nice. :lol:

yea, yea..