Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter tracking fin

I have a 99 Sunsetter VLX that is new to me. It is at a Malibu dealership for engine problems (a whole different thread "rough running monsoon"). The mechanic pulled it in the bay today to start working on the engine and he was giving it a once over and the tracking fin is loose. He said they have to pull the tank to fix the fin. The weird thing is, this boat only has one tracking fin. It is the one closest to the stern. He said he can put another fin on while he is at it, anybody care to weigh in on this? It will be another 150-175. The little time that I have spent in the boat, it handle really well, but this was unweighted and with nobody behind the boat.

My 01 SS VLX had two, I know because I had to replace 1. Its a PITA job.

Can't really comment on the improvement of 1 versus 2 but I would say it may be worth it.

-Chris

Anybody else, I am calling the mechanic tomorrow and I need to tell him my decision. I am leaning towards giving him the go ahead on adding another fin.

Is there a spot for the second fin under the boat? If there is and the price includes a fin for $150, I would do it. It will cost you a lot more down the road if they have to pull the gas tank again.

There is a place for at least one more fin. My first Sunsetter had three. From what I have seen crawling under the boat to put the fake-a-lake on, there were never any holes drilled for a fin.

A 99 VLX has two tracking fins. A 98 only has one. Are you sure the boat is a 99?

Unfortunately, there is no way to tighten the fins from the outside of the boat. The fuel tank does need to be pulled. So when I knocked one of my fins loose, I had no problem having the dealer fix it.

I opted not to add a second fin. I was going to, but when he pulled the tank, he found some damage around the bolt hole from where the fin had been loose for some period of time. The dealer recommended the glass guy that they use for the repair and he is supposed to be the best around. I think my money is better spent having a quality repair of the existing problem.