Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl

I have a few nicks in my vinyl, probably from wake-board fins. Mad.gif

Anyone have any recomendations on how to fill, patch, or fix?

I went to the hardware store and got a tube of vinyl repair. It is clear so "matches" all colors.

Going to use it this weekend on a little nick I have. I will let you know how it works and more info on brand name etc after the weekend.

I went to the hardware store and got a tube of vinyl repair. It is clear so "matches" all colors.

Going to use it this weekend on a little nick I have. I will let you know how it works and more info on brand name etc after the weekend.

Don't use it!!! If it's a typical cheap vinyl repair from a hardware store, the clear will look good for about 6 months, and then yellow out sitting in the sun! I made that mistake 9 years ago with my LXI when the dog put a puncture in the back deck.

My recommendation is bring it to a vinyl pro (or have a mobile one come to you).

I'm finally getting around to have my yellowed out spot redone (along with a few other more recent nicks) in the next couple of weeks...

Edited by Addictedto6

Don't use it!!! If it's a typical cheap vinyl repair from a hardware store, the clear will look good for about 6 months, and then yellow out sitting in the sun! I made that mistake 9 years ago with LXI when the dog put a puncture in the back deck.

My recommendation is bring it to a vinyl pro (or have a mobile one come to you).

I'm finally getting around to have my yellowed out spot redone (along with a few other more recent nicks) in the next couple of weeks...

Ok. Thanks. I will think twice about doing this repair. Maybe I will try it on some spare vinyl to see if my product does the same as yours did and or I will try find a "pro" in my area.

Don't use it!!! If it's a typical cheap vinyl repair from a hardware store, the clear will look good for about 6 months, and then yellow out sitting in the sun! I made that mistake 9 years ago with LXI when the dog put a puncture in the back deck.

Ok. Thanks. I will think twice about doing this repair. Maybe I will try it on some spare vinyl to see if my product does the same as yours did and or I will try find a "pro" in my area.

It took at least 6 months in the sun before the clear started to yellow out on me...

I just had a 3/4" hole repaired by a mobile professional and you have to look long and hard to find the repair. I called the dealer and got the name of the person they use. I called him and he came right to the house for the repair.

It took at least 6 months in the sun before the clear started to yellow out on me...

Oh right. 6 months is a bit of a wait isn't it. Excuse me but I am a little hung over today from the Ted Nugent concert and not too swift.

Don't use it!!! If it's a typical cheap vinyl repair from a hardware store, the clear will look good for about 6 months, and then yellow out sitting in the sun! I made that mistake 9 years ago with my LXI when the dog put a puncture in the back deck.

I've used a product called VLP for years and have never seen any yellowing. This stuff isn't really a glue, it sort of "melts" the vinyl together. The repair won't look nearly as good as professional but for small nicks it is extremely durable and functional and is hard to see if you're not looking for it. For slits it won't look very good, but it keeps damage from getting worse. You can always have your repairs repaired by a pro later when you have enough to justify it and it is off-season.

Deke

Ditto I did the same thing --yellow..kept it sealed but yellow!

Pennery: I am in Barrhead so quite a ways from Okotoks.

Deke: Yeah that is the stuff I bought (VLP) but have not used yet due to the yellowing comments. My nick is very small so it sounds like you think might work and not turn yellow?

Addicted: Is the VLP what you used ?

The guys at Wizard had some guy from Edmonton do some vinyl repair wirk to a buddies Response and I can't even find the repaired spots anymore. Call Don and ask who did the work. Then maybe the next time you need some maintenance the guy may just come right out to Calmar and fix it. By the way, where are the pics of the Black & Blue Bu?

The guys at Wizard had some guy from Edmonton do some vinyl repair wirk to a buddies Response and I can't even find the repaired spots anymore. Call Don and ask who did the work. Then maybe the next time you need some maintenance the guy may just come right out to Calmar and fix it. By the way, where are the pics of the Black & Blue Bu?

Might wait until later in the season then and see what Wizard can do. Thanks for the info Trentj6930.

I think I have to be a paying member to post pics and am just waiting to see if my application and payment for becoming a paying member are going to go through as I seemed to have problems with the sign up. When this is straigtened out and I figure out how to post a pic I will try put some up.

If you are ever at Thunder Lake or Lac La Nonne you will probably see it there. We usually try go out at least 4 times a week. You know its is us when you see the "Black & Blue 'Bu Crew" on the stern.

Might wait until later in the season then and see what Wizard can do. Thanks for the info Trentj6930.

I think I have to be a paying member to post pics and am just waiting to see if my application and payment for becoming a paying member are going to go through as I seemed to have problems with the sign up. When this is straigtened out and I figure out how to post a pic I will try put some up.

If you are ever at Thunder Lake or Lac La Nonne you will probably see it there. We usually try go out at least 4 times a week. You know its is us when you see the "Black & Blue 'Bu Crew" on the stern.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Maybe send me a PM Black and Blue BU.

We have never boated any farther North than Rocky Mountain House. How are those two lakes? How far from Edmonton are they?

Edited by trentj6930

Deke: Yeah that is the stuff I bought (VLP) but have not used yet due to the yellowing comments. My nick is very small so it sounds like you think might work and not turn yellow?

Not sure...It was 9 years ago. The description of VLP sounds similar to what I used, but don't recall the specific brand.

Not sure...It was 9 years ago. The description of VLP sounds similar to what I used, but don't recall the specific brand.

Ok thanks. A buddy of mine is going to set me up with a pro guy who does this so I think I am going to file 13 the VLP I have and go the pro route.