Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel guage question

Awest

After using our new (to us) 98 sunsetter vlx for a few months now I have come to the conclusion that our fuel gauge is there as a topic of conversation rather than as an actual monitor of fuel consumption. I know our fuel tank holds 35 gallons and after a full day of skiing/ boarding/ surfing we read dead empty on the gauge when at rest or idle in a calm area. This causes a bit of concern among my family and guests as the sun slips toward the horizon and there isn't another boat in sight. It also reads full when accelerating and the bow high and the fuel slides toward the back of the tank. Then we go to the gas station on the way home and the tank takes about 14 gallons to fill. Leaving me with my primitive math skills to assume that I had 21 gallons in the tank when it read dead empty. Why have a fuel gauge at all?

Does anyone have a method of calculating fuel consumption on a Monsoon 325 or a more reliable gauge that they might suggest? I realize that fuel consumption is dependent upon driving habits and what you are doing but it would be nice to have some sort of accurate gauge that reminds me to go fill her up at the appropriate time and limits the anxiety level of my wife.

AW

After using our new (to us) 98 sunsetter vlx for a few months now I have come to the conclusion that our fuel gauge is there as a topic of conversation rather than as an actual monitor of fuel consumption. I know our fuel tank holds 35 gallons and after a full day of skiing/ boarding/ surfing we read dead empty on the gauge when at rest or idle in a calm area. This causes a bit of concern among my family and guests as the sun slips toward the horizon and there isn't another boat in sight. It also reads full when accelerating and the bow high and the fuel slides toward the back of the tank. Then we go to the gas station on the way home and the tank takes about 14 gallons to fill. Leaving me with my primitive math skills to assume that I had 21 gallons in the tank when it read dead empty. Why have a fuel gauge at all?

Does anyone have a method of calculating fuel consumption on a Monsoon 325 or a more reliable gauge that they might suggest? I realize that fuel consumption is dependent upon driving habits and what you are doing but it would be nice to have some sort of accurate gauge that reminds me to go fill her up at the appropriate time and limits the anxiety level of my wife.

AW

I know there is a "fix" for these inaccurate gauge problems, but I have never taken the time to do it. I just figure on about 4.5-5.0 gallons per hour that I'm using the Bu and have never had a problem!

My LSV has an access panel to the center ship bilge and drain hole tha just in front of the tank. I frequently visually check the level of fuel in my tank.

That reminds me of the bilge rat in the movie Waterworld that used a stick to see how much oil was left in the bottom of the tanker. Lousy movie but it had its humorous moments.

I agree, I wish Malibu would fix this but we are on Malibu #5 and always the same. My 06 response seems to be the most accurate yet but still usually have 12 gallons left when running on empty for a while. With gas prices as high as they are I usually fill up at the marina just under 1/2 of tank because that keeps my bill right at $100. I remember when we used to set a side $50 a day on vacation and that would fill the tank. Now it takes $100 with 1/2 tank.

i have heard of a substance you pour in your gas tank and it resets gauge. It is very common and my truck dealer told me to use it when my truck did this but I cannot remember for the life of me what it was but it was something you could pick up at Walmart.

I am very hesitant to pour anything in my gas tank other than gas. Let alone something from Walmart.

Do you use fuel stabilizer or octane booster. It is a smilar product.

I agree, I wish Malibu would fix this but we are on Malibu #5 and always the same. My 06 response seems to be the most accurate yet but still usually have 12 gallons left when running on empty for a while....

Does anyone know if this fix helps out on later model bu's (ex 08 23lsv) seems like the unit they use just isn't that great...

I guess I am old school but I have always been under the assumption that a gas guage in a boat is more of a suggestion than a promise....

This sender is the best of the best. A little more expensive then most but it is well worth it. Very very accurate. It measures the air between two tubes not gas so sloshing gas does not affect it.Fuel Sender

i did the tempo fix, and it worked for a season, but now my gas gauge itself is broken. It actually spins 360 degress now - very interesting. I can turn the key on 5 times in within 30 seconds, and get 5 completely different readings, from full, 1/2, empty, to off the gauge (plugged into a different daisy chain and still the same results).

I am convinced that the only accurate way to tell on a boat is by using a fuel flow gauge.

see:

Change your fuel sender

Improve the accuracy of your fuel gauge with this modification.

in the tech/diy section

My fuel guage readings were very much like those of the OP before I did this fix. Now, my fuel readings are just like my truck, i.e. if you fill the tank to the top it takes a while before the guage moves at all. It then drops pretty linearly with engine hours. The only problem I have now is that when it reads "E", I'd better not go for long without filling up. I think that I have about an hour (i.e. 5 gallons) left before I am dry.

After reading this thread, I allowed the gas gauge in my 08 23lsv to get down to 1/8 of a tank prior to filling up, thinking it's accuracy was conservative.

It has a 55gal tank and I was able to put 49gal in...! It looks like my gauge is deadly accurate, without any modifications. Maybe I was just lucky with my gas gauge...Love this boat!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed this fuel sender and it seems to have an opposite effect to the one I just tore out. It will not read above half full no matter how I calibrate it. The manufacturer stated that it was good to a depth of 6 inches. Mine was cut to 6.25 inches and rests just above the bottom of the tank.

I guess that since I cut it I own it now. I am now going to purchase one of the cheap Teleflex senders and try that. What a waste. Does anyone out there want an expensive fuel sender for cheap?

AW

Why should I have to change anything?

Can't they build it right at the factory?

You expect a gas gage in a car (all models) to work and it does.

It ain't rocket science - come on Malibu you can do better!!.

I installed a Tempo sender using the directions found on this sight. I'm not a very handy guy but it was a pretty easy project. Gauge seems to be very accurate now. The old Malibu sender was almost 2 inches shorter than the depth of the tank. No wonder I was always running on empty. The sender was under $30 and the whole project took less than an hour. Highly recommended! :)