Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Testing walter v-drive warning light and horn??

First I want to say thanks for all the help in the past and that this forum is great.

I have a few more problems that I would like some help with, as I will be going out to the boat later today and would like to have a good plan of attack.

Let me mention that my electric skill are lacking and I can use all the help I can get.

First my Walter V-Drive warning light is not on at start up. I thought normal operation is that it would be on until over 2000 RPM. Is there a way to test this? Will the light burn out? any help here would be great.

Second my horn stopped working. I get power into the switch and then out of the switch via the white and orange wire to the horn. I am using a light tester that I have grounded to the ground block under the dash. Should I be getting a read off the second post off the horn when I punch the button on. I believe it to be a black wire so I assume it is the ground.

I my luck that bad that all my electrical is going down the tubes.

My initial thought would be that the ground is bad but like I said I am using the grounding block with the light tester and it is working. I assume that the grouns off the above items are in the same place. How would I go about testing their grounds.

Sorry for the rambling questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

First I want to say thanks for all the help in the past and that this forum is great.

I have a few more problems that I would like some help with, as I will be going out to the boat later today and would like to have a good plan of attack.

Let me mention that my electric skill are lacking and I can use all the help I can get.

First my Walter V-Drive warning light is not on at start up. I thought normal operation is that it would be on until over 2000 RPM. Is there a way to test this? Will the light burn out? any help here would be great.

Second my horn stopped working. I get power into the switch and then out of the switch via the white and orange wire to the horn. I am using a light tester that I have grounded to the ground block under the dash. Should I be getting a read off the second post off the horn when I punch the button on. I believe it to be a black wire so I assume it is the ground.

I my luck that bad that all my electrical is going down the tubes.

My initial thought would be that the ground is bad but like I said I am using the grounding block with the light tester and it is working. I assume that the grouns off the above items are in the same place. How would I go about testing their grounds.

Sorry for the rambling questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Yes they will burn out. I had to replace mine earlier this year. Start with that.

Just remove it and go to NAPA for a replacement. Easy

you can use your test light to test the ground side of the horn by clipping the clamp on to a known (+) source, which can then be tested by touching the probe to the ground block- it should illuminate the test light. Then you can probe the ground side of the horn. It should illuminate the test light if the ground is good. If your previous testing showed power to the (+) side of the horn with the button pressed, and this test shows that the ground is good, the horn is shot- unless you want to tear into it to see what the issue is.

If you have a multi-meter, you could tone-test for continuity across the two leads on the horn. If there's no continuity, again- the horn is most likely shot. You could also use a tone-test across the two leads of the v-drive light to see if there is continuity there. No tone = bad light.

Edited by EZSnow

Thanks for all the help

I was able to test the grounds and they were good, but the horn was bad. Also on the Warning light, I took out the bulb and tested it, after finding that is still worked i put it back in and it started to work fine.