Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Submerged Log, 1--Prop, 0

I rolled over a submerged log this afternoon (thank goodness I wasn't under power) and it bent one of the tips on the prop. The prop is off and I have banged it back to "pretty close" to its original shape and cup. How exact do these props have to be? I guess I can give it the acid test, but I am interested in other's experience on successfully repairing a prop on the home workbench. I didn't lose any material, it just tweaked the end of one of the blades...

Would you put it back on and see what happens? Or send it off for remanufacturing? If it needs to go back to the shop--does anyone have a recommendation on a reputable prop shop? It is an Acme 515. The last one that my local repair shop sent off came back looking pretty different--I will put that one on and try it out tomorrow. Not sure I want to send this latest one to the same place...

I wouldnt try it. Thoes things need to be pretty stinkin exact, and you have the ability to cause some pretty major and extensive dammage if you try it out, even if it seems normal.

So what you're saying is... it doesn't look like this one??? Consider yourself very lucky! I would send it in. They have to be perfect to spin at speed. You want ZERO possibility of out of shape or balance.

DSC02602-1.jpg

Definately have the prop sent out for repair. Most prop repair shops use a computer aided system to get the pitch, cup, and balance right on the money. Running a prop that is even slightly out of alignment will cause a vibration in your prop shaft and will damage shaft bearings.

good gosh Helinut- you can't use that thing to mix sheet rock mud! Maybe put it on a concrete mixer...

Mine is not close to that-- but the wisdom of the Crew is to send it off so in the box it goes. Wish we had a GB going on props again--I didn't know I would need three in the rotation. This is my second dinger of the season!

So what you're saying is... it doesn't look like this one??? Consider yourself very lucky! I would send it in. They have to be perfect to spin at speed. You want ZERO possibility of out of shape or balance.

DSC02602-1.jpg

Wow!! how did this happen? what other damage did it cause?

Acme can fix it but they just send it off site to have repaired. Check with some local repair shops on cost and reputation. You can also send it back to Delta Propellers or Kevins Prop shop (in Ca I can send you info) for repair.

I hit something the other day and 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the edge of the prop blades is bent a little.

My dealer said that I should just straighten it as it is not that bad so I can use it for the weekend. They will get me a new prop next week.

From the sounds of it no one else on this site thinks it is a good idea to straighten it, or does it matter how much damage was done? If just minor damage will I be alright straighting it?

I was prepared to straighten it but now I am nervous to do this but I also don't want to miss a weekend of surfing and boarding.

Sorry, upon reading the OP again I see he only has minor damage too and no one recommends an at home fix. :(

Wonder why my dealer does not think it is too big of a deal?

Edited by Black&Blue'Bu

if it's just a small bend and you have no way of getting a new prop, it's probably OK to pound back into shape as much as possible and run it for the weekend. You wouldn't want that to be a long term solution though.

if it's just a small bend and you have no way of getting a new prop, it's probably OK to pound back into shape as much as possible and run it for the weekend. You wouldn't want that to be a long term solution though.

Clap.gifThumbup.gifYahoo.gif Thanks for that UWSkier. You made my day. I am still nervous as I do not want anymore damage but it is going to be 28 to 30 degrees C this weedend and with our short season up here in The Big White North I am going to go with the repair for the weekend.

Clap.gifThumbup.gifYahoo.gif Thanks for that UWSkier. You made my day. I am still nervous as I do not want anymore damage but it is going to be 28 to 30 degrees C this weedend and with our short season up here in The Big White North I am going to go with the repair for the weekend.

Very good reason to get a spare prop with your short season. I wouldn't run it past the weekend though.

TXWakeJunkie: I shed a tear for you and your poor 'Bu.

Hope I never experience your damage as my minor damage was very depressing when it happened.

Very good reason to get a spare prop with your short season. I wouldn't run it past the weekend though.

Yeah the spare prop is on order. I won't run it more than that.

Big learning experience with my first inboard, but I will never go back now to I/O or jet boat.

Hope I never experience your damage as my minor damage was very depressing when it happened.

That is my boat. I want the pitty dang it! :)

Yeah it sux, but life is a journey full of stories! Still don't have a full estimate of the damage. Hoping to have it back in less than 3 weeks.

That is my boat. I want the pitty dang it! :)

Yeah it sux, but life is a journey full of stories! Still don't have a full estimate of the damage. Hoping to have it back in less than 3 weeks.

Sorry Helinut. I will give you all the pity. Should have looked at the posts closer.

I am not too swift today as I am a little hung over from the Ted Nugent concert I went to last night.

Yeah the estimate is probably going to be bad enough but not having the boat for 3 weeks would almost kill me.