Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radar RS-1

tvano

i'm tired of replacing my bindings every season.

i'm thinking of the hardshells.

own a radar rs-1?

how are they going to hold up long term?

recommend them?

Hey Ted,

Mine are holding up fantastic, and I love them. How's the season? A little chaotic for us this year

Doug

thanks for the feedback, hoover.

i'm not ready to jump for bindings, yet, but i know it's coming.

i seem to run through a set each season.

mixed season.

doing good getting out on the water but the wind has been amped this year.

glass has been few and far between.

i seem to be getting older, too.

no where near running any of my pb's; but i have a good time; it's a sickness.

how is your season shaping up?

mixed season.

doing good getting out on the water but the wind has been amped this year.

glass has been few and far between.

i seem to be getting older, too.

no where near running any of my pb's; but i have a good time; it's a sickness.

how is your season shaping up?

It has been a pretty bizarre season. Schedules aren't meshing very well, and the weather hasn't really cooperated that well. I have really had to make my skiing outings more quality time. My buoy count really hasn't increased, but I do think I am skiing much better (smarter, more efficient, and less reckless) than I ever have. So, I have that going for me, I just need to be doing it more.

It definitely is a sickness, I love it!

Cheers.gif

• 4 months later...

i jumped for the rs-1.

now i've got to get them mounted and get back on the water.

the radar plate won't work on my stick (without punching more holes in the stick and i don't see that as an option).

i'm going to mount the radar to my existing plates and see how that works out.

a big negative is that the front plate from the old connelly vision has a 2.5"ish x 5"ish area cut out of the middle of the plate.

connelly mounted some kind of arch support there.

i cobbled a patch and had it mig welded (what we go through to make this sickness managable).

now i've got to locate, punch holes and counter sink for the radar bindings.

that is tomorrows job; then (if the river don't rise) i plan to give them a spin on saturday.

enjoy the old dead bird.

Hey Ted

Wouldn't be easier to just put some more holes in the Radar Plate?

i jumped for the rs-1.

now i've got to get them mounted and get back on the water.

the radar plate won't work on my stick (without punching more holes in the stick and i don't see that as an option).

i'm going to mount the radar to my existing plates and see how that works out.

a big negative is that the front plate from the old connelly vision has a 2.5"ish x 5"ish area cut out of the middle of the plate.

connelly mounted some kind of arch support there.

i cobbled a patch and had it mig welded (what we go through to make this sickness managable).

now i've got to locate, punch holes and counter sink for the radar bindings.

that is tomorrows job; then (if the river don't rise) i plan to give them a spin on saturday.

enjoy the old dead bird.

They float very well Ted. The only time that I've had them come off was while swimming back to the boat.

You can take the ski off and have the liners stay in, but it easer to get unhook the top lace and have the liner come out with your foot. With them on they keep you feet warm in this can of weather. Thumbup.gif

i've been jonesing to get the new bindings wet but that didn't work out quite like i planned.

finally had one of the crew call and set up saturday sets; whew.

figured that would be a good opportunity to circulate some fresh oil through the engine so i buzzed out to the pond on friday to warm up the old oil (before changing the oil) and to make sure we had open water for the saturday run. finished up the oil change then spent forever rigging. rigging took too long because we got rained on last trip out, ripped the boat apart to vacuum and dry things out. plus i double check everything if we are out in marginal weather. the weather will hurt you easy enough without adding stupid to the mix.

anyhoo, saturday is looking great. first time in the last eight weeks when the sun AND wind were going to work with us.

unfortunate that the ice didn't get that notice about working with us. wish i could have seen my face when i got to the ramp as my thoughts moved from Yahoo.gif "wow, that is the first glass in 8 weeks" to "not glass, ice" Cry.gif . and so we end another michigan season.

hope yours was at least as good as mine; mine was great.

enjoy the holidays.

I've had 6 months on the RS1s. They have held up great. No issues at all. I pull my feet out of the liners rather than pull my feet with the liners out fo the shells. I find that easier than trying to stuff the liners back in the shells all the time. Since I barely even snug the bungy laces, it's quite easy for me to get my feet out.

I have about 6 months on my RS-1s also and so far they have been perfect. Was previously on FMs. The RS-1 is a much simpler, nearly maintenance free design with all of the same control. I have been very glad that I made the switch.

I added a set of Superfeet insoles to mine before heat molding and now after molding couldnt ask for a better fit. I just snug my laces. Pull my feet out of the liners when taking off the ski.

I have about 6 months on my RS-1s also and so far they have been perfect. Was previously on FMs. The RS-1 is a much simpler, nearly maintenance free design with all of the same control. I have been very glad that I made the switch.

I added a set of Superfeet insoles to mine before heat molding and now after molding couldnt ask for a better fit. I just snug my laces. Pull my feet out of the liners when taking off the ski.

Brain, Did the Superfeet do anything for heel lift and what color did you use? I'm having a small lift problem with my rear foot and was thinking about just adding a heel shim from them.

I started with mine at the beginning of August and absolutely love them. Most comfortable and responsive binding I have ever had! I have had two issues with them; the plastic pull on the bottom (non-elastic) lace broke, and the aluminum spacers that keep the plate floating seem to wear out pretty quickly. Both situations were immediately addressed and replacements sent by Radar and/or H2Osmosis. Their customer service is second to none!

I do wish you could "set and forget" the tension on the laces because I undo them to take my foot out of the liners, but my skiing has not suffered from slightly different tensions on the laces. I have not had any issues with releases; I seem to come out when needed. Overall, I really like them!

I started with mine at the beginning of August and absolutely love them. Most comfortable and responsive binding I have ever had! I have had two issues with them; the plastic pull on the bottom (non-elastic) lace broke, and the aluminum spacers that keep the plate floating seem to wear out pretty quickly. Both situations were immediately addressed and replacements sent by Radar and/or H2Osmosis. Their customer service is second to none!

I do wish you could "set and forget" the tension on the laces because I undo them to take my foot out of the liners, but my skiing has not suffered from slightly different tensions on the laces. I have not had any issues with releases; I seem to come out when needed. Overall, I really like them!

Does anyone know if there will be some changes to the 09 RS-1s?

Or if other ski manufacturers will come out with something compareable to these great boots?

I liked the RS-1s very much but I didn't feel very comfortable especially with the front foot.

(I tend to stand too upright over the front foot and the binding bites me on the backside of my front leg after a few sets.)

I saw that T-Mo put some (actually a lot of) holes in the upper backside of his RS-1 shells to get additional flexibility on that part of the binding.

(Obviously he had the same problem with his binding than me.) :)

RS-1-T-Mo.jpg

Edited by Chaabo

Brain, Did the Superfeet do anything for heel lift and what color did you use? I'm having a small lift problem with my rear foot and was thinking about just adding a heel shim from them.

I don't notice much if any heal lift. I never skied the boots without the Superfeet so I don't know how they are without. Obviously the insoles do take up some space so I imagine they would help your problem. I have the Superfeet Orange.