Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop shaft packing questions?

Hey peoples-

I have an 2001 wakesetter V drive and it is taking on more water than I would expect. The only thing I can think of is the prop shaft packing.

1) Is there another possible area that is common for leaks that I should check?

2) Is there a good way to check for leaks without actually putting the boat in the lake?

3) How do you tighten the shaft packing?

4) Should the large nut that encasses the shaft be hand tight (yesterday I was checking it out and could actually turn it with just my hand and little force)?

5) Does anyone know what the rubber piece wrapped around the shaft do?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

1) Could be from your rudder, or exhaust hoses as well, most likey the shaft though, especially if you can hand loosen it.

2) you can fill the bilge with a garden hose and see where water is leaking out from underneath

I'll let someone else expand on the rest. They can do a better job than me.

Hey peoples-

I have an 2001 wakesetter V drive and it is taking on more water than I would expect. The only thing I can think of is the prop shaft packing.

2) Is there a good way to check for leaks without actually putting the boat in the lake?

4) Should the large nut that encasses the shaft be hand tight (yesterday I was checking it out and could actually turn it with just my hand and little force)?

Maybe this will help http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/StuffingBox.htm

Hey peoples-

Did you try looking at it to see if water was coming in from the packing nut? Pretty easy to see

Hey peoples-

How much water are you taking in?

Hey peoples-

How much water are you taking in?

Enough that when my bilge pump went out a couple weeks ago I had water in the V drive lockers overnight! My bilge pump does keep up with it, however I do not want it to get worse.

Hey peoples-

Did you try looking at it to see if water was coming in from the packing nut? Pretty easy to see

I did not know where to look until recently and never really think about it when we are just trying to have a good time at the lake.

Hey peoples-

Maybe this will help http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/StuffingBox.htm

That's a good article, thanks!

You may want to check and see if your tracking fins are loose.I could wiggle the front one,took them both off and resealed them good to go now Thumbup.gif Another thing to check is the center mls bag if you have one.

Adam

I have a 99 Sunsetter that's been doing the same thing for the past 3 summers. About every hour or so we just let the bilge pump do it's thing. When someone asks why there's so much water in the boat we just say it pee'ing! Yahoo.gif

Edited by TeamNevill
You may want to check and see if your tracking fins are loose.I could wiggle the front one,took them both off and resealed them good to go now Thumbup.gif Another thing to check is the center mls bag if you have one.

Adam

I'll check that, thanks.

• 9 months later...
I have a 99 Sunsetter that's been doing the same thing for the past 3 summers. About every hour or so we just let the bilge pump do it's thing. When someone asks why there's so much water in the boat we just say it pee'ing! Yahoo.gif

You may have a leaky HDS. On the trailer fill the bilge with water and if the waterpours out the shaft hole... you got hds issues.

Search HDS leak. lots of reading... I had one in a 99 LXI.

Good luck!

Patrick

You may have a leaky HDS. On the trailer fill the bilge with water and if the waterpours out the shaft hole... you got hds issues.

Good luck!

Patrick

No HDS in a V-drive...

Good luck!

Patrick

No HDS in a V-drive...

...OOPs... :blush: I saw " xxxxxxx LXI" in your signature and I instantly thought "Sunsetter LXI" (I had a '99 SLXI in '99)

Patrick

Edited by Faceplant409
Do you have ballast tanks that pump through the hull? Check fittings/hoses?

Deke

That was my problem...crappy blue plastic fitting broke! Anyhow I replaced my packing and it should be good for another 5+ years.