Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where do you attach your wake surf rope ?

liljohn

Surf rope queshtion.  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you attach your rope?

• To the tower?
    • To the ski pylon?
    • So good you dont need a rope?
  2. 2. when surfing ropeless where do you throw the rope?

• Back in the boat?
    • on the other side of the wave?

When first learning I attach to the tower to assist in the lesson, seems to provide more lift. Once you know how to deep water start I think attaching to the transom is fine. Also when I have peeps stacked in the back on the transom pad and the rope attached to the tower the rope will come in contact with the observers. When on the transom hook it doesnt interfere with anyone.

Once up I haven't been able to go ropeless quite yet (I'm very close) other light riders just toss the rope to the other side and usually someone on the transom pad reels it in.

I can ride up to the back of the boat and hand the handle to the people inside then ride away. I have been only successful starting off the platform a few times with out a rope. ( you gotta have a driver who knows what they are doing) But once you get the hang of it I can ride up grab a beer or cigar and surf my day away!

I ordered a board and rope from Wakeside, along with ballast bags. First time out, we

realized that the rope, a 16' T-handle, wouldn't reach far enough back if we took off

the tower unless we added a segment from our slalom rope. Decided to hook it directly

to the pylon and it seemed just about the perfect length to get up and then pull up into

the sweet spot.

I've always tied to the ski pylon, didn't realize People tie a big'ol surf rope to the tower, theres no advantage to that steep angle to the back of the boat is there ?

I don't tie it to the tower for the angle. When we first got the VLX we used the pylon & that's very convenient, but we found that it was marking up the vinyl. I've seen it on a few other boats from the rope, so we just decided to use the tower.

We attach it to our tower. But in reading this thread, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to attach to the pop up pylon. I've noticed our bimini is getting some wear on the top edges where the rope rubs.

Seems easier to get beginners up using the tower for sure.

wow I'm surprised by the results so far.

I asked the question because the other day we were on a friends boat who likes the tower method. While surfing his friend was sitting in the back corner and was smacked by the rope. He was very upset to say the least. I explained to them that if you use the ski pylon this sorta thing can`t happen. He completely disagreed and said you can get up if its not on the tower. lol I showed him differently so I think he will be changing. While I agree that for your first couple times learning to get up it is a little easier from the tower I also feel that as soon as you get it you get moved to the pylon. kinda like the fat board its great to learn but once it all clicks the fat board is a crutch holding you back.

voted "don't need a rope" only because we don't use the tower or the ski pylon. we found that both those options just mess up the boat(bimini for tower mount and engine cover vinyl for ski pylon). we use the grab handle on the very back of the transom. it does make deep water starts a little tougher cause of the lack of "upward" pulling force but the girls can still get up so it works for us.

So funny - we've always used the ski pylon and I honestly can't say that I have ever seen one on a tower. I hadn't even thought of that. LOL Dontknow.gif

wow I'm surprised by the results so far.

I asked the question because the other day we were on a friends boat who likes the tower method. While surfing his friend was sitting in the back corner and was smacked by the rope. He was very upset to say the least. I explained to them that if you use the ski pylon this sorta thing can`t happen. He completely disagreed and said you can get up if its not on the tower. lol I showed him differently so I think he will be changing. While I agree that for your first couple times learning to get up it is a little easier from the tower I also feel that as soon as you get it you get moved to the pylon. kinda like the fat board its great to learn but once it all clicks the fat board is a crutch holding you back.

This reminds me of a certain board member's brother who swore you can't do inverts without a tower.

we use the grab handle on the very back of the transom. it does make deep water starts a little tougher cause of the lack of "upward" pulling force but the girls can still get up so it works for us.

ummmm..... you are kidding right?

Please explain further about using the grab handle... or am I missing something here?

we use the grab handle on the very back of the transom. it does make deep water starts a little tougher cause of the lack of "upward" pulling force but the girls can still get up so it works for us.

Please explain further about using the grab handle... or am I missing something here?

We use the tower as well... We tried the Grab Handle on the Transom and it is definitely more difficult for beginners... Once you get used to sitting on theback and learn to watch for the rope then it is not that difficult.. We always leave our rope a little long so we can toss it back out if the surfer gets a little far back...

hahaha, oops I see how what I wrote could be misunderstood... we attach the rope to the grab handle.

hahaha, oops I see how what I wrote could be misunderstood... we attach the rope to the grab handle.

We use the grab handle/hook too. My Response LX has no tower and this prevents having the rope thread through the people in the back when using the pylon. Admittedly, the very short rope and lack of upward angle (maybe even downward angle!) makes it hard to get up.

Deke

any where but the tower and you are pulled downward instead of up.

Not when you're in the water.. Last time I checked, the water is below the deck of the boat. Once you get up - the rope is only secondary, and no need to have it draped across all your folks loaded into the back of the boat.

On the tower, the is just a lot more rope to mess with and have a problem

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've done both. I have one of those fat braided ropes which isn't long enough to connect to the tower, so we use the pylon. I prefer this b/c it isn't in the way and when you toss the rope into the boat, if it hits someone, it's not a hard handle. It's still not pleasant, but it's not as bad. Also, this is the safest wakesurf rope to use as there is almost no chance of getting tangled in it. I haven't noticed it rubbing on the back like others have mentioned. I guess it does for a few seconds when the rider is just getting up, but that is it. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I might put some soft sleeve over the rope, or something. Maybe one of those ski rope kick-back protectors.

For those that like the handle, I built one out of an old slalom rope and a ski handle dog leash. Our ski shop had one of these on sale for $10. Beats paying $30-$40 for a wakesurf handle that we would just use for beginners! I just removed the metal clip, cut the ski rope to the right length (after a bit of testing on the boat), put a loop in both ends, and attached it to the end of the dog leash. We connect this to the tower for just the same reason everyone else has mentioned: it's much easier to get up for the beginners.

• 1 month later...

When we were learning on our own, we tied to the transom. Later we realized that everyone in our area used the tower, which made it much easier to get up. We have been using tower ever since.

We had several issues this year specifically with beginners that didn't want to let go of the rope when falling and it causing snap-back into the boat. So its a catch-22 for the beginners. Transom would be safer, but tower is easier.