Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response Lxi Top Speed

BlastRlxi

The speedometer on my '05 Response Lxi is out of adjustment and I don't have a GPS as of yet. I figured if I knew the top speed, I could get a pretty good estimate to adjust it to. Can someone with the same boat with the 340 hp Monsoon engine let me know what their top speed is? I finished the breakin and the speed has been off since new. I am figuring it is around 50 mph but the more accurate the better.

Too many variables. 3 blade prop? 4 blade prop? Prop diameter? Prop pitch? Water current? Wind? Elevation? You get the idea. No way to calibrate it w/o a GPS or a slalom course and timer.

Your best bet is to borrow or buy a GPS. I got one for $99. It is great to have. I use it all the time and other people borrow it all the time, so you're not just wasting $99 for a one time thing. Here is a pic of mine. I know a lot of people here use this one because it is inexpensive and does not come with a lot of extras such as maps and other stuff you don't need for calibrating boat speedos. Unless you need those other features, then there are many to choose from.

As a general guideline, the tach will be very close to the actual speed in the 30 - 32 mph range. I have a 2005 LXi with a Monsoon and they are almost dead on.

As others have said, GPS or, if you've got PP and a timer, are the only ways to go.

Until then, though, I would second Sunapee's reponse.

Given that you have the stock prop and assuming a calm day with no wind on a lake with no current, take the boat out without a skier. 30mph will be a right around 3000 rpms. Set your speedo and you'll at least be within a couple of mphs.

This will get you close. Now remember that you just dropped some serious coin on a beautiful boat - $100 more for a GPS won't break the bank. :)

Mike

Edited by mlange

shop mechanics tell me that 47 is about the top speed for the lxe wot. I would agree that the tach is pretty close. I use 3650 for 36 mph. With your perfect pass baselines you snould be able to get pretty close.

I have a monsoon 340, 3 blade prop at about 94ft of elevation. I have been at shasta and my numbers are close to the same for the tech heads.

Edited by blake0401