Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HDS Reputable Repair Shop?

I am a recent member and recent owner of a 1998 Response Lx, which has unfortunatelly given me quite a few problems since I have purchased. The boat is currently taking on enough water to trip the auto bilge nearly everytime I come off plane or if sitting idle for about 30 minutes. I have done a leak test and found a pretty steady stream of water coming out through the bottom of the HDS then down the driveshaft and out the hull of the boat. I have troubleshot this as an HDS crack/failure.

I live in Wichita Falls TX (120 miles north of Dallas and 120 Miles S of Oklahoma City) and am looking for recommendations of a good shop/method to get this work done once and for all. From what I have read on previous posts, it looks like the two most common fixes are 1) either grinding the HDS and refiberglassing it, or 2) having a shaft-log installed to essentially fill in the HDS. Is one method better than the other in terms of cost and effectiveness? Has anyone in the greater Dallas to Oklahoma City region had this work done before that can recommend a good shop?

I talked with Waterski America in Dallas and their plan was to grind and refiberglass the HDS at the approximate cost of $700. Does this seem like a resonably priced and permanent solution or are there better options? Since I live about 2 hours away from Dallas I want to make sure this is the best option prior to taking the time/spending the gas money to drive all the way down there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I've been down the grind and refiberglass the HDS road wayyyy too many times and it never lead me to a dry bilge.

For me, the shaft log would be the only way to go.

Good luck.

Does anyone know of someone around the greater dallas area that has experience installing shaft logs on this type of a boat? What is a ballpark figure I could expect to pay for this work?

For those that have had the grind/refiberglass job done before, approximately what were you charged for it? Thanks again for all the replys

Edited by rdf0011
Does anyone know of someone around the greater dallas area that has experience installing shaft logs on this type of a boat? What is a ballpark figure I could expect to pay for this work?

For those that have had the grind/refiberglass job done before, approximately what were you charged for it? Thanks again for all the replys

Take a look at this thread. Sunset_bob is the guy you need to talk to. I think he's even posted pics of the shaft-log install, but I can't seem to find them.

My HDS was serviced many times by the dealer, but my warranty and insurance picked up the tab so I don't know much about the cost. 7 hours sounds reasonable to me though...I hear it's a pretty tough job.

Definitely the best solution, however I really don't think it is 7 hours of work @$100/hr

Agree - 7 hours seems steep. I ground mine out with a Dremel and filled it in with Plexus in a couple of hours.

Has anyone heard of or had experience with Brown's Boat Repair shop in Mesquite TX? They apparently do a lot of fiberglass work, they say they are familiar with the boat, and they offer a warranty on their workmanship. I am thinking about going to them as opposed to the dealer. Any thoughts?

I looked at Sunset_bob's repair and it sounds good although I am going to need a shop capable of that a little closer to where I live.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far. I am trying to make a decision soon so I can get the boat dropped off this weekend and maybe on the water before too many weeks...

Definitely the best solution, however I really don't think it is 7 hours of work @$100/hr

Agree - 7 hours seems steep. I ground mine out with a Dremel and filled it in with Plexus in a couple of hours.

Hey bound4er we need to talk...I'm having the problem on my 99 response lx and am trying to figure out a fiscally reasonable solution. When did you fix yours and how has it held up? I'm over in Mukwonago and would love to get a look at your work as well as any advice you might be able to provide.

Jim

Hey bound4er we need to talk...I'm having the problem on my 99 response lx and am trying to figure out a fiscally reasonable solution. When did you fix yours and how has it held up? I'm over in Mukwonago and would love to get a look at your work as well as any advice you might be able to provide.

Jim

No worries Jim - I can give you all the information you need. Send me a message through the board with a phone number and I will give you a shout.

I fixed mine in September of 2006. It has held up perfectly since then. I don't keep the boat in this area - I have it in Eagle River at our cottage - so I won't be able to show you my "handy-work".

Dave