Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motorbox Insulation

Headhunter 2317

Ordered the self adhesive foil backed from McMaster Carr today. I can't wait to do this project. I brought the boat home from storage to take care of some projects while I have some time off.

I ordered my insulation from McMaster.com and got the project done. The how to instructions on this site made the job very easy. Only took about an hour. The self adhesive type works great. Also, it's pretty fun to stick small scrap pieces on the cat's feet........ ROFL.gif

WOW!! What a difference it makes. We went out yesterday and could not believe the difference in the noise level.

Great project. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a DD.

I actually purchased the reflectex stuff prior to mcmaster product. It is quite thin in comparison and the mcmaster product is meant to cut noise. I'm sure that pretty much anything you stick to the inside will at least dampen the noise somewhat. If you want a really inexpensive trial that may mimic the full mcmaster install then buy some reflectex and put it in. But (in my opinion only) if you want to cut the noise, do it best the first time and get the mcmaster type product. The price difference is still under $100 and no spraying or other clean up. Just cut and self stick.

OK, even though I think ours is pretty quite, you have me convinced to put some kind of insulation in our engine cover this off season.

Excuse my ignorance, but I have a hard plastic piece on each side of the cover where the exhaust manifolds are. I noticed that in the picture of everyone elses, you didn't. Should this be removed, left in, or what?

I'm thinking I can remove them.

I'm thinking those large plastic pieces support the structural integrity of the motorbox itself. We were on the water again today. I was loving the quiet inside the cockpit. To my delight I have noticed that you can hear the V8 rumble even better now.

I ordered 6 feet and had JUST enough. If I had messed up any cuts, I would have been screwed. I'd get 8 just to be safe. It's a very easy project. Worth it too. The noise reduction is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested JC Whitney has a special running on their Heat / Sound Insulation kit. You get 2 rolls of 4'x6' 3/8" insulation, contact adhesive, and aluminum tape for $49.99. You can go in with a friend and get 2 kits for $89.99

Has anyone used insulation from JC Whitney for their engine cover?

This is one project that I would like to tackle this winter. Forgive my ignorance but where is the best place to order the Mcmaster stick on variety? I really don't want to mess with the spray adhesive.

• 14 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, I really want to order this material from McMaster Carr, but I can't seem to find a way to get it up here to Canada.  From what I have researched you have to have a business account with them?  I've contacted some local suppliers and they can get the Soundown product, but it's way more $$ than the McMaster stuff and is not self-adhesive.  Any tips or sources for Canada?

Not sure on the whole Canada shipping thing, but I order from them here and there.  As long as you have a credit card and pay when ordering, you can buy from them.

11 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Not sure on the whole Canada shipping thing, but I order from them here and there.  As long as you have a credit card and pay when ordering, you can buy from them.

They don't ship to Canada.  You can use a US postal forwarder (I use Montana Mailbox) or find some foil-faced foam/fiberglas  HVAC pipe insulation.  Or this: https://www.lowes.ca/product/roll-insulation/reflectix-double-reflective-roll-insulation-48-in-x-25-ft-13358

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

They don't ship to Canada.  You can use a US postal forwarder (I use Montana Mailbox) or find some foil-faced foam/fiberglas  HVAC pipe insulation.  Or this: https://www.lowes.ca/product/roll-insulation/reflectix-double-reflective-roll-insulation-48-in-x-25-ft-13358

Thanks.  Yeah I guess I could use a postal forwarder... but are they going to accept my canadian credit card for payment?

I've seen that product from Lowes... but I have my doubts about the sound insulation properties... the McMaster Carr/Soundown products are 1.25" thick with foam.  The HVAC stuff seems way thinner... my goal here is sound suppression from the motor box not insulation.

1 hour ago, solorex said:

could use a postal forwarder... but are they going to accept my canadian credit card for payment?

I have a US dollar credit card, but I don't see why a Canadian one would not work.  You will get hosed on the  exchange though.  Like close to $1.50 with the fees etc.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I have a US dollar credit card, but I don't see why a Canadian one would not work.  You will get hosed on the  exchange though.  Like close to $1.50 with the fees etc.

Yeah agreed our exchange is piss poor right now :cry: